Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

File Upload works local, but not on Application Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File Upload works local, but not on Application Server

I have an application that uploads files to a directory. If I run this in the Live preview it works perfect.

However, when I publish to the server and try to upload I get the Progress indicator on Zero and it never progresses. I can Abort the upload.

This is difficult to trace as I am not getting any errors, it just hangs in the upload dialog.

any suggestions?

thanks

Re: File Upload works local, but not on Application Server

What kind of file upload? Is it a built-in action?

Some wags and general probably not very useful thoughts - since there really isn't much information to go on here -

1. Does the directory you're uploading to on the server exist? Is the published alias (if any) configured properly?
    2. Does the application have permissions to access/know about that folder?
    3. For the upload file/image feature(s) in the built-in HTML editor, the folder the files are saved to must be included in the project. (Not the case for aliased folders in the data directory.)
    4. Have you run this while inspecting the page with FireBug? If there are problems, sometimes you can see it in the result from the POST action to upload the file to the server.
    5. Are your server version & dev version the same (I'm just throwing rocks in the lake now hoping to hit a fish)

---
    Sarah
    Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release

Comment

I'm having the same issue. Some more data that might be helpful. I'm using linked files and like Barry, the process works locally. When I check the server with the upload folder, the files are actually being uploaded correctly, but the process hangs at the same point Barry described.

To answer Sarah, 1. yes the directory exists, 2. yes the application has permission, 3. I'm not using aliasing and my folder exists outside the project folder, 4. no on FireBug, 5. yes on server match.

Comment

Same answers as Drew for me also. As further investigation I changed from Chrome to IE, now the progress runs up to 100% but again does not complete.

Comment

Barry, Drew,
          If you can duplicate this issue, please submit a bug report to Alpha, they will take a look and find a fix if this is a bug, but you must be able to duplicate the issue and maybe send them a small test project with the issue.
          Edhy Rijo
          Progytech
          (Computer Consultants)
          The makers of CardTracking.Net
          www.progytech.com

Comment

Bug report submitted. I'll post back with the results.

Comment

I have just checked file upload. I am not able to duplicate any problem. It appears to be working fine in my test case when using the Application server.

If file upload is working ok on your development server, but not your production server, be sure to check that the production server is running the same build as your development server.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry64 View Post
                I have an application that uploads files to a directory. If I run this in the Live preview it works perfect.

However, when I publish to the server and try to upload I get the Progress indicator on Zero and it never progresses. I can Abort the upload.

This is difficult to trace as I am not getting any errors, it just hangs in the upload dialog.

any suggestions?

thanks
                Ah

I have just experienced this.

I have a bunch of these. The first time I tried it, I got the same behavior you saw - but in all locations.

Now, I just get a "Upload status: 404 -- Server returned an error." message when it tries to upload the file and I get this message in the console:

POST http://localhost:8081/afhp_sql/__a5H...ype=javascript 404 (OK) VM1841 __a5FileUploadMasterPage.a5w?fileUploadUrl=__a5HTMLEditorFileInsertPage.a5w&fileUploadAutoUp…:359uploadNew VM1841 __a5FileUploadMasterPage.a5w?fileUploadUrl=__a5HTMLEditorFileInsertPage.a5w&fileUploadAutoUp…:359A5.fileUpload.upload VM1839 __a5FileUploadMasterPage.a5w?fileUploadUrl=__a5HTMLEditorFileInsertPage.a5w&fileUploadAutoUp…:211A5.fileUpload._change VM1839 __a5FileUploadMasterPage.a5w?fileUploadUrl=__a5HTMLEditorFileInsertPage.a5w&fileUploadAutoUp…:157wFunc
                I tried re-creating my HTML editor. No dice. :/

Comment

So, FYI:

I "fixed" my problem. I edited the __a5FileUploadMasterPage.a5w file, which is generated/published by Alpha.

I replaced this code...

Code:
                  	form.action = form.action + '&returnDataType=javascript'
                  ...with this code...

Code:
                  	if (form.action.search(/\?/g) === -1) {
                  		form.action = form.action + '?returnDataType=javascript';
                  	} else {
                  		form.action = form.action + '&returnDataType=javascript';
                  	}
                  ...in the file published on the server. And I am now able to upload files & images in the HTML Editor.

I don't know if this is similar to the issue you were experiencing. I've submitted a report to Alpha. I hope they do something about it.

Anyone know how to prevent alpha from clobbering my changes? This is a generated file, after all. :/ I grepped the install directory and it found this code inside an .AEX file, so not something I can just go "fix".

Comment

I was running my server as a service which prevents the server from showing up in the status tray. I read previously that you should just start a second instance of the server and run the updates on that instance and the 'service' server would be updated by this process. After the email from Selwyn I decided to remove my server from running as a service and instead set it up to be restarted by a schedule activity that fires when the computer starts up. Once I was able to see my server I checked for updates again and sure enough, it wasn't running the latest patch. After the patch, my problems went away.

Comment

Originally posted by nxlcomputers View Post
                      I was running my server as a service which prevents the server from showing up in the status tray. I read previously that you should just start a second instance of the server and run the updates on that instance and the 'service' server would be updated by this process. After the email from Selwyn I decided to remove my server from running as a service and instead set it up to be restarted by a schedule activity that fires when the computer starts up. Once I was able to see my server I checked for updates again and sure enough, it wasn't running the latest patch. After the patch, my problems went away.
                      Glad you solved it! :D

Comment

I decided to remove my server from running as a service and instead set it up to be restarted by a schedule activity that fires when the computer starts up.
                        One reason to run the server as a service is to avoid logging in; the server fires up with no one actually logged in. I may be wrong, but I think your new scheduled method requires that the machine have an active login to fire up the server. If so there are two problems with that 1) the server is sitting vulnerable because someone, probably an Admin, is logged in, and 2) if you log off, the Alpha server will probably stop running. Your config may be different.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

I was worried about that as well. I read a post about the scheduled startup so I gave it a try. The server fires up without me having to log in (which surprised me).

Comment

Working...
                          X