Alpha Video Training

Thread: Send Email from Button on Grid

"Certified" Alphaholic Charles Hoens's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Hoens

Default Send Email from Button on Grid

OK. I give up! I've been trying now for hours to do something in Web that took me only minutes in Desktop. Why is this so difficult?

After much angst, I was finally able to set up a button, which, when pressed, sends an email.

In Desktop I was able to create a nice HTML email template, which was saved in the dbf. I could easily add fields from the table and easily mail this out.

In Web, I am confronted with something new, called the Repository, which the email dialog says I can use to retrieve an email template. But for the life of me, I can't figure that out. Nor can I put the HTML into the area for the email and get it to send. The best I've been able to do is send out a plain text message.

Can someone please explain to me how this works? There is literally nothing in the Wiki or the videos.

Thanks!

Real Name
    Charles Hoens

Default Re: Send Email from Button on Grid

Well, I figured some of this out. Still have no idea though about the repository or how it works, or what is it's purpose.

All I now want to do is put a button on my grid to send out an email to the contact on the grid. I get how I can send one out that is "pre-canned", but how do I get the kind that pops up and allows the user to fill in the subject and message? Why is this so complicated?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Larry Grupido

I am not sure what you are looking to do here, exactly. You say that you can send an email from a button - what additional difficulty are you having?

If you want the user to fill in a subject and a message, then you have to create a grid or UX with the controls to fill in. Then, after the user fills in the information, they press submit and you can send the email out with any additional data that you want.

Otherwise, if you just want to have it open their default email, use HTML coding to open an email with their default client.

<a href="mailto:myemail@email.com">email address</a>

If you have a template and you just want the user to fill in a piece of it, you still have to get the input from the user, then use xbasic to combine the data.

Maybe if you put up the example, I or someone else could provide more help? (Note: I do all my work using SQL, not Alpha DB, but the concept is similar.)

Real Name
    Charles Hoens

Well, here's what I finally did. The following simple code puts a button on the A5w page:

<p align=center><FORM>
    <INPUT TYPE="button" VALUE="Click Here to Email Administrator" onClick="parent.location='mailto:admin@xyz.com?subject=Inquiry'">
    </FORM>
    </p>

It opens the users email and set up the page with the Subject: Inquiry, which can be changed if your like.

Thanks.