Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Return values from a FUNCTION

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Return values from a FUNCTION

Don,

try:

dim My_Result as C
    My_Result = XYZ()
    msgbox("Status",My_result)

XYZ is a function name, it's not a variable.

Comment

Tom

This is what I needed to know!! I knew I was doing something wrong and that is it - have to use the parentheses!! Will try it!!

Comment

THE ANSWER IS that the FUNCTION has to be called from the script as Char = XYZ()!! Char now contains the value returned by the function!! This is what I did not know!! THANK YOU!!

Comment

Glad you got it.

The answer is, a user defined function performs pretty much the same as a built in function.

Char = XYZ()

just as you would say

Char = STR(12345)
          There can be only one.

Comment

Of course the confusion arises because in the IW, some functions will return a value just by doing this:

?xyz()
            ="something"

Whereas others must set a variable to get the return value - it would by good to know the difference for this...
            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Whereas others must set a variable to get the return value
              Are you meaning one must supply a parameter?
              There can be only one.

Comment

No, I meant that in the IW sometimes

Vc = myfunction() will return a result for vc whereas

?myfunction() won't

I still have trouble getting functions that use an XD to return a result...in either case.
                Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Let me say that any variable that has been declared and value set in a function as shared or global can be read from the appropriate place. Global = anywhere, shared = from the calling form or...
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

?myfunction() won't

I still have trouble getting functions that use an XD to return a result...in either case.
                    it would depend on function type. Like a logical function would return .t. or .f..
                    A function that declares a return value will retur what it is supposed to.
                    A function may just create shared or global variables and you would need to know what the variables are.
                    A function that does a job like updating a table may return nothing you can see.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace View Post
                      No, I meant that in the IW sometimes

?myfunction() won't

Robin

Can you give examples of that?
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD
                      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Hi Al,
                        This zip contains my exported function and 2 small text files that should be in the same directory as the function when you import it. It is using the clipboard but will not return a value otherwise in the IW. Let me know what you think - I have others!
                        Attached Files
                        Robin

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace View Post
                          Hi Al,
                          This zip contains my exported function and 2 small text files that should be in the same directory as the function when you import it. It is using the clipboard but will not return a value otherwise in the IW. Let me know what you think - I have others!
                          Getting this error message on 2 machines...

RobinUnzip.png

Try attaching them without zipping them. They don't look like they are too big. Or email them to me.
                          Last edited by Al Buchholz; 12-24-2014, 04:18 PM.
                          Al Buchholz
                          Bookwood Systems, LTD
                          Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                          Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                          Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                          When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                          "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                          Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Its because I am unloading from home with IE8 - it makes the upload feature here hang. I will try again.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by MoGrace; 12-24-2014, 04:29 PM.
                            Robin

Comment

You are using a modeless dialog box so the dialog opens but the code continues to run and the function finishes with the dialog box open it can't return anything.

Comment

Allen,
                                So my problem would be resolved if I give up the roll up feature and go modal? Thanks, I'll try it. I want to call this function from my floating modeless toolbar (used for development only) so I guess I don't really need the modeless roll up feature.

Merry Christmas!
                                Robin

Comment

Working...
                                X