Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

new list challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new list challenge

In my disconnected data application I have a list that shows logs filtered to a particular tech. (Parent list) When the log is completed I want them to be able to mark it completed. The updateable view that the list is based on is set to filter out the completed logs. When I synchronize the data I get an error because the record is filtered out on the server. If I refresh the browser the record is gone as it should be. Any ideas on how I might solve the issue?

2014-11-12_13-30-07.jpg
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Re: new list challenge

after your update is done, the list automatically refreshes the edited row, which now no longer exists in the query. This displeases the List.

Probably the easiest solution would be to filter completed logs on the client-side, rather than server. Then the record would still be in the query, just not displayed to the user.

If you want to get creative you could tell the list to treat your completed flag as a soft delete field, and I believe the list will then handle filtering those records automatically. Of course you would need to handle hard delete some other way. Don' quote me, I haven't used the soft delete feature yet.

Do not displease the List.

Comment

Originally posted by rvanderbes View Post
      Do not displease the List.
      I'm with you on that. It just creates a chain reaction, the list, the tech, me....

Thanks for the ideas I will look at the soft delete just as soon as I am sure that the list is pleased otherwise.
      Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

I am happy to report that my list seems to be very pleased, as am I. The list is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. The synchronization process is smooth and flawless. Just amazing to me one ux has replaced about 20. Now that I think about it it is kind of sad... putting all of those uxes out of work.

Comment

Frank,

Can you record a video demo'ing the app you built? Is that too much to ask? About to start down this path and would love to see something others have built.

Comment

Here is a quick pictorial. I don't have any test data to create a video. Please keep in mind it is a work in process as I figure out what I can and cannot do with the lists and ux.
            A couple of notes. I have to put the map and signature controls in panel cards that is the only way they work. I would like to put them in window type containers like the detail views for the list control. Hopefully in the future I will be able to do that. I also want to add some way to notify if there is no internet connection. I will try to tackle that next. I also found that if your session times out on the server you loose all of your edits. I had to change the session time to all day. So far so good with that.

2014-11-13_21-29-32.jpg
            Here is the parent list filtered to an individual technician. I have a slight issue I need to work out in that I would like all of the other panel cards to be disabled until a row in the parent list is selected.
            2014-11-13_21-29-56.jpg
            This is the panel card shown when the tech selects the row in the parent list. A few editable fields here.
            2014-11-13_21-30-24.jpg
            This is the time child list. All of the time is shown. the tech can only edit their time.
            2014-11-13_21-30-54.jpg
            Edit or add new time record. I need to add some more fields to this list and detail view after I am certain there are no other issues.
            2014-11-13_21-31-25.jpg
            This is the charges child list. All of the charges are entered here, material, labor, etc.

More in the next post...
            Last edited by frankbicknell; 11-13-2014, 11:09 PM.

Comment

continuing

2014-11-13_21-35-11.jpg
              edit or add new charges.
              2014-11-13_21-35-41.jpg
              The equipment child list. edit or add new equipment.
              2014-11-13_21-36-16.jpg
              the contacts child lists. Press map and the map panel is shown. I would prefer a popup window type container.
              2014-11-13_21-36-31.jpg
              The map panel. Very handy.
              2014-11-13_21-37-15.jpg
              At last the signature panel. I would like that to be in a popup widow type container as well.

The lists are great. I no longer have to have an edit and add ux for each table. I no longer have to pass variables to the child ux control. No callbacks so it is very efficient. No load on the server. Works and looks great on a Samsung tab4 7" tablet.
              Last edited by frankbicknell; 11-13-2014, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Nice job Frank, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
                  In my disconnected data application I have a list that shows logs filtered to a particular tech. (Parent list) When the log is completed I want them to be able to mark it completed. The updateable view that the list is based on is set to filter out the completed logs. When I synchronize the data I get an error because the record is filtered out on the server. If I refresh the browser the record is gone as it should be. Any ideas on how I might solve the issue?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]39165[/ATTACH]
                  I was able to resolve this using a button that makes a callback. In the callback I call a mysql procedure to update the completed field then refresh the data in the parent list.

Comment

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
                    I am happy to report that my list seems to be very pleased, as am I. The list is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. The synchronization process is smooth and flawless. Just amazing to me one ux has replaced about 20. Now that I think about it it is kind of sad... putting all of those uxes out of work.
                    Frank, curious to know your thoughts on replacing UXes with the new lists. It's tempting to use lists instead of embedded UXes. Wondering what you've experienced as far as speed goes, and any other tips you may have comparing the two approaches?

I tried using a few complicated lists instead of UXs on multiple tabs, and it basically killed the load time for the parent UX. Compared to an embedded UX on a tab, which is not prepared by the server while hidden, the list and all its related HTML controls are rendered, even on a non-visible tab. I gather from your example you're using panel cards, so that's probably the answer to my question, but just wanted any feedback comparing the pros & cons of both approaches.

Thanks!

Comment

Hi Robert,

Load time is definite issue for me. If I can't make my list app load faster I may have to break it into two uxes. Having all of the controls, fields, an variables available in one ux is what is preventing me from doing that. The bottom line for me is that having the disconnected data feature is proving to be indispensable for me and I am hoping that Alpha can resolve load time issues as well as a few other quirks.

Comment

So today was a frustrating day for me and my alpha lists. As I ventured into areas with weaker bandwidth the load times for the list became unacceptable. Sometime the list did not even load at all. The time on my development server with a 10GB fiber optic connection to my remote server with the same 10GB connection was 8.5 seconds. I have decided to split my list app into at least two. Having done this I have the load time down to 4.3 seconds. I will see how that performs in the field tomorrow.

Comment

With the reduced load times approx 5 seconds and I had no issues in the field yesterday. I have had to make some changes to the design like having the popup windows for the detail view. I was unable to close them automatically. I have gotten rid of a couple of lists that were nice to have but not essential. I have taken the map out of the main ux. I have embedded my time picker so that once I load the app I can work with no call backs, except for the map.

The remaining issues are I had to extend my session timeout because if your session times out you loose all of your edits. If you close the browser or browse to a new page you loose edits. I hope there can be a way to prevent closing. It may exist but I have not found it yet. Otherwise it works.

Here are some screen shot of my 'final' project.
                          2014-12-17_7-51-32.png

Comment

The remaining issues are I had to extend my session timeout because if your session times out you loose all of your edits. If you close the browser or browse to a new page you loose edits. I hope there can be a way to prevent closing. It may exist but I have not found it yet. Otherwise it works.
                            I have found the solution. It is to select the persist data to local storage. I thought the list automatically was doing that since I could work disconnected I didn't understand the purpose of this property. Now that I have it selected if I loose my connection, the browser is closed, and or the session gets reset, the un-synchronized data is still in tact ready to be synchronized when you have a good connection. They thought of everything.

Comment

OK so in my 'final - final' project I have included an images list using the HTML capture method. I have it so that it opens in a ux linked to the id of the equipment record in a dynamic panel. It is a callback that is going to add some challenges. I did not want to embed this into the main disconnected ux because that would have added to the apps loading time. It is all working. tip... if you have separate uxes that have data persisted to the local storage you have to change the version number property to different version numbers.
                              2014-12-21_9-17-36.png
                              Last edited by frankbicknell; 12-21-2014, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X