Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Apparently Still Having Error Locking Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently Still Having Error Locking Problem

We are still experiencing an "error locking" problem. When my people try to enter a new record in the main table, when they try to save it, they get the "Error Locking" error. After they click on the error, another error message pops up stating that "Enter must begin first". At the time, they ARE entering a new record. After clearing both error messages, then no one on the network can save a new record in the same table. I'm thinking that perhaps the data dictionary or one of the other associated files with the table might be corrupt somehow. I'm wondering if there is a utility available to check the viability of the DDD, DDM, DDX or FPT files? If not, what would be the best way to rebuild the database and associated files, forms, etc. I tried copying the records into another table to see if any of them was corrupt but it copied all records with no problems, which kind of leads me to believe the problem lies within one of the other files mentioned above. Any and all thoughts are welcomed at this point. My office is at a stand still and has been for a week now and I REALLY need to find and fix the problem or recreate everything, and our database is huge. We've been building it since 1999. Thanks......
    Scott

Re: Apparently Still Having Error Locking Problem

Scott,

I suspect the problem is related to the copying and pasting that's happening.

A beginning point for troubleshooting this is to open the "default form" that Alpha will build for you based on the set or table supporting your custom data entry form. If the "default form" behaves correctly, this is a good sign the trouble lies in your custom form. If the "default form" misbehaves, its a good sign the trouble lies in field rules.

I recommend you "ban" copying and pasting until you can confirm that both the custom form and the field rules are working correctly.

In my own work here I do not allow users to manually copy material to the windows clipboard for pasting into other fields or records. If this feature is needed I script a button on the form and handle it within Alpha. Users can "paste" a variety of illegal bytes without being aware of it, if they're allowed to do it manually.

-- tom

Comment

Thanks Tom. I will certainly try that. Any idea why this occurs when trying to input new data? This now seems to be the only time we're experiencing the "error Lock" message.

Comment

Wild guesses welcome? Here goes ... A previous event either cancels a pending "ENTER" transaction or commits it, and your custom data entry form somehow isn't aware of it. Let us know what happens when you stop using the custom form, and do data entry using the default form.

Comment

Hi Tom, We're still getting the same error using the default form but when we cancel out of the error, it states there is a field rule violation and to fix it and continue. I've copied the database files into another folder so I can test different options and not worry about it being on the "live" database. When there is a violation, doesn't it create a violation table and if so, will it help point to which field rule is making it choke? I am going to eliminate all field rules in the parent table in the set along with all field rules in each child table associated with the set and then try again. Will give you a progress report.....

Scott

Comment

ok.... So I deleted all field rules and I'm still getting the same error message.... "error locking", and when I cancel, the same message about field rules..... only there are NO field rules in any of the tables associated in the set or in the master table. This really has me stumped.......

Comment

UPDATE....... When I get the "error locking" message, if I hit "retry", it states "enter must begin first". It's as if it does not recognize that I have even entered anything into the form. Huh...........

Comment

UPDATE... yet again...... We've also noticed this does not happen when only one person is using the db. When more than one person logs onto the program through the network, that's when we start getting the errors. Just more info........

Comment

What changed in your network before these problems started happening?

Have you been using the database without problems for a long long time? When did the problem begin? What was changed just before that?

Comment

Are all workstations identical hardware?

Are all workstations running the same version and build of Alpha Five?

A5v5 is very old. If your hardware is newer are you running it in compatibility mode?

Comment

Scott,
                      Are you using shadowed tables?
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

We do have 2 newer workstations. They are running Windows 7 and all the rest are running XP. I did have to add something to the registry of those 2 new stations for them to be able to log onto the network. That's the only thing that has changed in regards to the network. All workstations, including the newer ones are running the same version of A5v5 Runtime with the latest patch that was available. I spoke with Alpha Software yesterday and of course there is no tech support for Version 5 available anymore. I have A5v11 here now and was going to install it this weekend and convert all the data files to the v11 format, but was holding off till I got this problem solved. They suggested that I go ahead with the installation and then I could always open a tech support ticket with them since it would be v11. I've also contemplated building another database and adding all the tables except the troublesome one. I thought I might duplicate that table, it's records and the indices and then see if I could rebuild or copy and paste the forms back in that are related to that table. Start fresh with a new db and keep the old one for reference if my people need to search for something from the past. Just spit balling here. And the 2 newer stations are running the software in compatibility mode also.

Comment

I meant to tell you that this problem only happens the main table. My people can access any of the other tables and do work in them without experiencing the "error lock". That's what leads me to believe that perhaps the Data Dictionary might have become corrupt. Again, just spit balling. Thanks for your help and suggestions btw Tom, it is GREATLY appreciated.

Comment

I just saw your other message Tom. No, we are not using shadowed tables. There are approximately 6 or 8 people at the most accessing the db at any one time and we have not noticed any degradation in speed or accessibility. We have never in 20 years had any 2 people trying to access the same record. Maybe just lucky up to this point.

Comment

Scott,
                              As a precaution, I use shadowed on anything more than 3 concurrent users. The newer networks generally have more speed and maybe my numbers could rise, but rather be safe.

It does sound like you may have a problem in the one table more than anything else.

If it were me(done this a lot for clients), I would duplicate that table to another name with all boxes checked. Verify! delete the original then compact adb, rebuild the new table with the original name, append all records from the duplicate(the copy), use "copy to" for all forms, letter, reports. etc., rebuild indexes, and you should have a nice clean working model.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X