Alpha Video Training

Thread: Apparently Still Having Error Locking Problem

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Default Apparently Still Having Error Locking Problem

We are still experiencing an "error locking" problem. When my people try to enter a new record in the main table, when they try to save it, they get the "Error Locking" error. After they click on the error, another error message pops up stating that "Enter must begin first". At the time, they ARE entering a new record. After clearing both error messages, then no one on the network can save a new record in the same table. I'm thinking that perhaps the data dictionary or one of the other associated files with the table might be corrupt somehow. I'm wondering if there is a utility available to check the viability of the DDD, DDM, DDX or FPT files? If not, what would be the best way to rebuild the database and associated files, forms, etc. I tried copying the records into another table to see if any of them was corrupt but it copied all records with no problems, which kind of leads me to believe the problem lies within one of the other files mentioned above. Any and all thoughts are welcomed at this point. My office is at a stand still and has been for a week now and I REALLY need to find and fix the problem or recreate everything, and our database is huge. We've been building it since 1999. Thanks......
    Scott

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Default Re: Apparently Still Having Error Locking Problem

Scott,

I suspect the problem is related to the copying and pasting that's happening.

A beginning point for troubleshooting this is to open the "default form" that Alpha will build for you based on the set or table supporting your custom data entry form. If the "default form" behaves correctly, this is a good sign the trouble lies in your custom form. If the "default form" misbehaves, its a good sign the trouble lies in field rules.

I recommend you "ban" copying and pasting until you can confirm that both the custom form and the field rules are working correctly.

In my own work here I do not allow users to manually copy material to the windows clipboard for pasting into other fields or records. If this feature is needed I script a button on the form and handle it within Alpha. Users can "paste" a variety of illegal bytes without being aware of it, if they're allowed to do it manually.

-- tom

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Thanks Tom. I will certainly try that. Any idea why this occurs when trying to input new data? This now seems to be the only time we're experiencing the "error Lock" message.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Wild guesses welcome? Here goes ... A previous event either cancels a pending "ENTER" transaction or commits it, and your custom data entry form somehow isn't aware of it. Let us know what happens when you stop using the custom form, and do data entry using the default form.

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Hi Tom, We're still getting the same error using the default form but when we cancel out of the error, it states there is a field rule violation and to fix it and continue. I've copied the database files into another folder so I can test different options and not worry about it being on the "live" database. When there is a violation, doesn't it create a violation table and if so, will it help point to which field rule is making it choke? I am going to eliminate all field rules in the parent table in the set along with all field rules in each child table associated with the set and then try again. Will give you a progress report.....

Scott

Real Name
    Scott Naples

ok.... So I deleted all field rules and I'm still getting the same error message.... "error locking", and when I cancel, the same message about field rules..... only there are NO field rules in any of the tables associated in the set or in the master table. This really has me stumped.......

Real Name
    Scott Naples

UPDATE....... When I get the "error locking" message, if I hit "retry", it states "enter must begin first". It's as if it does not recognize that I have even entered anything into the form. Huh...........

Real Name
    Scott Naples

UPDATE... yet again...... We've also noticed this does not happen when only one person is using the db. When more than one person logs onto the program through the network, that's when we start getting the errors. Just more info........

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

What changed in your network before these problems started happening?

Have you been using the database without problems for a long long time? When did the problem begin? What was changed just before that?

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Are all workstations identical hardware?

Are all workstations running the same version and build of Alpha Five?

A5v5 is very old. If your hardware is newer are you running it in compatibility mode?

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Scott,
    Are you using shadowed tables?
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Scott Naples

We do have 2 newer workstations. They are running Windows 7 and all the rest are running XP. I did have to add something to the registry of those 2 new stations for them to be able to log onto the network. That's the only thing that has changed in regards to the network. All workstations, including the newer ones are running the same version of A5v5 Runtime with the latest patch that was available. I spoke with Alpha Software yesterday and of course there is no tech support for Version 5 available anymore. I have A5v11 here now and was going to install it this weekend and convert all the data files to the v11 format, but was holding off till I got this problem solved. They suggested that I go ahead with the installation and then I could always open a tech support ticket with them since it would be v11. I've also contemplated building another database and adding all the tables except the troublesome one. I thought I might duplicate that table, it's records and the indices and then see if I could rebuild or copy and paste the forms back in that are related to that table. Start fresh with a new db and keep the old one for reference if my people need to search for something from the past. Just spit balling here. And the 2 newer stations are running the software in compatibility mode also.

Real Name
    Scott Naples

I meant to tell you that this problem only happens the main table. My people can access any of the other tables and do work in them without experiencing the "error lock". That's what leads me to believe that perhaps the Data Dictionary might have become corrupt. Again, just spit balling. Thanks for your help and suggestions btw Tom, it is GREATLY appreciated.

Real Name
    Scott Naples

I just saw your other message Tom. No, we are not using shadowed tables. There are approximately 6 or 8 people at the most accessing the db at any one time and we have not noticed any degradation in speed or accessibility. We have never in 20 years had any 2 people trying to access the same record. Maybe just lucky up to this point.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Scott,
    As a precaution, I use shadowed on anything more than 3 concurrent users. The newer networks generally have more speed and maybe my numbers could rise, but rather be safe.

It does sound like you may have a problem in the one table more than anything else.

If it were me(done this a lot for clients), I would duplicate that table to another name with all boxes checked. Verify! delete the original then compact adb, rebuild the new table with the original name, append all records from the duplicate(the copy), use "copy to" for all forms, letter, reports. etc., rebuild indexes, and you should have a nice clean working model.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Dave, thanks for the suggestion. Are you saying to do all of this into a new folder? I'm assuming so since all the layouts, forms and browses, etc. would still exist in the original folder. Please elaborate if you can. What I'm afraid of is the Data Dictionary may be corrupt.... just spit balling and not positive.
    Thanks,
    Scott

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I would certainly do it on a copy in a separate folder.

create a clean duplicate of the table with all boxes UNCHECKED so it is a vanilla. I might even just build a new table completely with same fields. You can then copy over the reports, forms and other once complete. You would need to rebuild indexes and field rules which may be a good idea anyhow. It is amazing what you can find when redoing.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Thanks for the tips and insight Dave.... It is much appreciated.
    Scott

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Hi Dave, I tried your suggestion yesterday and unfortunately we had the same problem. I'm afraid my only option is to rebuild the db from scratch. This will unfortunately take weeks as it is huge. I'm out of options I think at this point. I'm wondering if the db data dictionary is corrupted. Do you know of any way to rebuild the db data dictionary without rebuilding the entire db? Just curious as it would certainly save me some time. As long as only one person is logged in, there is no problem. I'm really stymied at this point. In 14 years I've never had a problem like this.

Real Name
    Scott Naples

***************UPDATE*****************
    So today I created a brand new db in a new folder and duplicated our main table in the other db without indexes or field rules. I then renamed it to the original table name and compacted. I then manually re-entered indexes and rebuilt them. I then duplicated and copied everything else from the old db into the new one, and so far it seems to be working. No "error lock" messages so far and I have 4 people working in it simultaneously. I'm cautiously optimistic. Thanks for everyone's help and Dave, you had the solution I needed to get this working again. My deepest appreciation goes to you and also to Tom for helping us with this snafu.
    Scott

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Thanks for posting the results.
    Others may be able to benefit from some small something here.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldaweb.com

Skype is dave.mason46