Alpha Video Training

Thread: Table is being accessed by another process

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Default Table is being accessed by another process

Well...... I rebuilt the database and all seemed to be going well. Today, I tried to compact the database and I'm getting an error stating it can't because my main table is being accessed by another process. I'm the only one in it, no forms are open, I'm just at the Control Panel trying to compact. I looked at the Task Manager - Processes and I saw that A5Halt.exe was running. I ended that process and closed A5 out. I reopened the db, checked the task manager again, didn't see that process running so I tries again to compact the db. Same error as before. What causes it to think another process is accessing the table? Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Scott (just about to tear my hair out at this point)
    Last edited by Al Buchholz; 12-04-2014 at 01:12 PM.

Real Name
    Jon Moody

Default Re: Now What????

Scott, try looking for any files with the suffix ".$$*" in the database directory. They can be left over after a crash or abnormal shutdown and may prevent compacts, and/or changes to a table structure etc.

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Hi Jon. Thanks for the reply. My understanding is that those are temporary files and may be deleted. Thanks, I'll check that out and delete them. I will be back working on the db on Saturday. I'll keep you posted.

Real Name
    Doron

Hello Scott,

Is this ms sql database? Since you are the only one then, you can restart the service to clear all other processes.

Regards,

Doron
    The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Main Web Site: http://www.dFarber.com
    MS SQL Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
    Convert Ms Access to Web
    Custom Software Development
    Alpha Five Development
    No Interest Loans Application

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Scott,

Later versions of Alpha Five have a function called

a5_forceCloseTables()

If its invoked after you log directly in to the server (i.e. not using shadow) will close all the open instances of your native Alpha Five tables that don't have windows.

A5_force_close_all() will close the tables and shut down Alpha Five itself.

Not sure if either is available in the older version of Alpha Five you are using.

-- tom
    Last edited by Tom Cone Jr; 11-26-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Thanks Tom. I have v11 and want to install it but am waiting to get my db working again before introducing a whole new set of problems.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

May I suggest you install v11 and copy your work folder to a new folder and try it on there.
    You can run v5 and v11 on the same machine. I have v7, v10.5, v11 and v12 on my machine.
    You may find things work much better for problems you are having with v11.

If I were dong all that you are doing now, I would not hesitate to make the jump. Definitely on a copy first.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Scott Naples

*****UPDATE*****
    I rebuilt the db AGAIN..... This time, no indexes and no field rules and no records in my main table. The other tables were built with no field rules but with indexes. I copied and duplicated all forms, operations and scripts. All seems to be working ok. We just started adding some of the field rules in groups of 5. Will add them over a period of time to make sure all is good. I'm cautiously optimistic. If all continues to work I still have the old db for my people to refer back to if necessary. I never did find exactly what triggered this meltdown or what exactly was corrupt. Once I have determined this is stable, I will be installing v11 and continuing from there. Thanks to all who gave me some direction and tips. Hopefully you won't hear from me again regarding this problem....lol.
    Scott

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Bringing an app from an earlier version to v12 now. There are some things that can help. Some in code, but a lot of new functions and some that are not the same as earlier versions.

I just thought it was a good time to jump while there is a good reason. Instead or rebuilding the old, do it to the new.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Scott Naples

My only concern with that was possibly adding problems from the jump to existing problems and having to sort which problem belonged to what.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

May I suggest installing v11 and run it on a copy of what you have. It may clear more problems than it gives you.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Hi Dave. Actually earlier this year I already did that and documented changes I would have to make. When our current problems popped up early in November, I was planning on installing v11 that weekend. It's taken till now to seemingly get it straightened out. I want to give this another couple of weeks to make sure it's running smoothly and then I plan to install v11. Thanks for the suggestion though it is truly appreciated.
    Scott

"Certified" Alphaholic Ray in Capetown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Hendler

Scott
    there has been some useful advice here. "Table in use by another program" message is not uncommon. Causes are many and varied.
    This whole thread is pretty much unavailable to future visitors wanting help on this topic. Who would look for "Now What????"

Real Name
    Scott Naples

You're right Ray. There has been much useful information on this thread and it did help me. Unfortunately when I titled the thread it was out of frustration. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who also checks threads to see who posted them. If they did they would probably conclude that this was a possible continuation of my problems. But you're right about who is going to search for a "now what" thread. I'll be more careful in the future. If I can change the title, then I will to something more appropriate. Thanks for the comment.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Quote Originally Posted by draxx2755 View Post
    You're right Ray. There has been much useful information on this thread and it did help me. Unfortunately when I titled the thread it was out of frustration. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who also checks threads to see who posted them. If they did they would probably conclude that this was a possible continuation of my problems. But you're right about who is going to search for a "now what" thread. I'll be more careful in the future. If I can change the title, then I will to something more appropriate. Thanks for the comment.
    Scott

Let me know what you want the title changed to.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Default Table is being accessed by another process

Hi Al. Thanks so much. How about:
    "Table is being accessed by another process". That sort of encapsulates what the original thread was about. Thanks so much.
    Scott
    Last edited by Al Buchholz; 12-04-2014 at 01:11 PM.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: Table is being accessed by another process

Quote Originally Posted by draxx2755 View Post
    Hi Al. Thanks so much. How about:
    "Table is being accessed by another process". That sort of encapsulates what the original thread was about. Thanks so much.
    Scott
    Scott

So is this thread about the same issue? Are there more threads?

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al...ocking-Problem

Perhaps I should merge them into a single thread.....
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Scott Naples

Default Re: Table is being accessed by another process

Hi Al. It is connected to the same issue but since I got a different error message, that's why I started a new thread. It's up to you as far as I'm concerned. Whatever you think will benefit others the most is ok with me. Thanks.....