Alpha Video Training

Thread: Can Alpha Anywhere run on a Mac?

Real Name
    Mark Williams

Default Can Alpha Anywhere run on a Mac?

Can anyone confirm whether Alpha Anywhere will run on a Mac using Parallel Desktop? My understanding is most any Windows application should run in this environment but would love to be sure before going through the trouble and expense of trying.

Thanks

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default Re: Can Alpha Anywhere run on a Mac?

Short answer is: NO
    Long answer is: Yes
    Long is you must have a windows layer(My words) for alpha to sit on.

Others will hopefully chime in with more details. I personally have never done that. Never owned a mac except to sell it.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    William Wagoner

Yes it can - and quite well I might add! I am running it on a MacBook Pro and on an iMac utilizing the latest Mac OS "Yosemite" and an excellent Windows program "Parallels Desktop" which does NOT require a reboot into the Windows environment, which means you can jump back and forth between them. Also, all Mac's come with "Bootcamp" which does require a reboot into / out of each OS....your choice. BTW: I also run Alpha 4 V6 under "Parallels Desktop" as well.
    I am developing apps in Filemaker Pro 13, which is a Mac AND a Windows program - excellent software - but NOT as flexible as Alpha Anywhere!
    I haven't made the jump to Alpha Anywhere yet - still using Alpha Five v11 due to $$$$$ and the learning curve. I am disabled & retired and looking to helping out the local non-profit groups.

"Certified" Alphaholic glenschild's Avatar
    Real Name
    Glen Schild

As William says, works very well under Parallels in a windows environment (which can be hidden) on a Macbook Pro. The only issue I have come up against is ftp'ing up to a server if on web development.
    Glen Schild

My Blog

Real Name
    Robin James

Yes Alpha 8, 9 and 11 all work fine on Mac. As do other PC programs such as MS Office, Acronis Disk Director, and oldies Quicken 98 and Lotus Organiser 97.
    Only issue experienced is setting up a windows network between 2 Macs. Am guessing it could be my lack of know how. (Anybody got tips?)

So pleased with Parallels that I've ditched my PC.
    Plus point of Parallels is that one can clone the .pvm file (Parallels virtual machine file), and use that as a full "disposable" OS for testing some programs & stuff that could mess up a Windows machine.

Robin

Real Name
    RJ Fagle

You could also try Virtual Box which is free and fairly simple to setup. It will run in OSX or Windows. Create a new VM and load windows on it (easiest if you have an iso image of windows to load) and you can start, stop VM as needed. Could then create an additional VM with a linux setup to run your database. Setting up the virtual lan so the two VM's can talk is pretty well instructed in the online documentation. Works great for development testing.

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Real Name
    Greg Taylor

Glen I just purchased a new mac and am running parallels on it. Alpha Anywhere works great on it…except I am not having any luck with the FTP settings. It starts the upload and then stops. Checked my ftp settings and get a success message…….have alpha allowed in windows firewall……tried publishing without optimization on…..no luck either…..even turned windows firewall off for a minute so I could see if that was blocking it……no go…….network connection is listed as home and trusted

I should note that I have been doing all my alpha development on my mac laptop running BOOTCAMP instead of parallels and have not had any problem with FTP…..only having it with Parallels

How did you overcome the ftp issue with your mac running parallels?

Thanks
    Greg
    Last edited by gregincolumbus; 01-24-2015 at 03:48 PM.

Real Name
    Glen Schild

Hi Greg

No I have not resolved it, I am using an external ftp program filezilla which works fine. I cannot find anything anywhere that helps explain why it does not work. It cannot be a parallels issue otherwise surely filezilla would not work?

Glen
    Glen Schild

My Blog

Real Name
    Greg Taylor

Hi Glen,

Thank you for the prompt reply. This is very baffling. I have used my Macbook Pro for years (running Bootcamp) and have had no problems with using the internal FTP feature for Alpha (including optimized ftp which is a huge time saver)

I have my Alpha files in a Dropbox account.....both my macbook pro (running bootcamp - Win 7) and my new iMac are hitting the same files and web profile. Internal FTP works every time for the macbook pro....fails every time with the iMac running Parallels.

That makes me wonder if it is a Parallels/Windows UAC/Firewall/Port issue.

I did see information about Filezilla on the Parallels support board.....I would really like to use the internal FTP in Alpha (LOVE that optimized feature)

I will keep experimenting to see if anything helps.....will let you know if I find a solution!

Thanks again for your reply,
    Greg

Real Name
    Glen Schild

Quote Originally Posted by gregincolumbus View Post
    Hi Glen,

Thank you for the prompt reply. This is very baffling. I have used my Macbook Pro for years (running Bootcamp) and have had no problems with using the internal FTP feature for Alpha (including optimized ftp which is a huge time saver)

I have my Alpha files in a Dropbox account.....both my macbook pro (running bootcamp - Win 7) and my new iMac are hitting the same files and web profile. Internal FTP works every time for the macbook pro....fails every time with the iMac running Parallels.

That makes me wonder if it is a Parallels/Windows UAC/Firewall/Port issue.

I did see information about Filezilla on the Parallels support board.....I would really like to use the internal FTP in Alpha (LOVE that optimized feature)

I will keep experimenting to see if anything helps.....will let you know if I find a solution!

Thanks again for your reply,
    Greg
    It is weird it fails for me on my MacBook Pro running Windows 8.1 under Parallels.
    Glen Schild

My Blog

Real Name
    Glen Schild

Well well well!!! The latest build 2689-4440 has resolved this with the addition of the internal ftp - curl option. Thanks Alpha, much appreciated!
    Glen Schild

My Blog