Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Result Set Blank on Server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Result Set Blank on Server

I have a UX component with 2 Xbasic functions. The first function processes MySQL records and calls the second function to process additional MySQL records. My functions work as expected when running in test (working preview or live preview). However, when I run the UX component off of the server, the result set that is used to process records in the second function is returned is empty. Both xbasic functions open a connection to the db and close the connection when done. Both functions use different names for the connection and result set.

Code:
    flag = cn1.execute(sql,args)

if flag = .f. then 
    	update_takeoff = "alert('Could not connect to database to Insert the Job Estimates. Error reported was: " + js_escape( cn1.CallResult.text) + "');"
    	cn1.Close()
    	end 
    end if

dim rs1 as sql::ResultSet
    rs1 = cn1.ResultSet

flag = rs1.nextRow()

while flag
    	...process my data

flag2 = cn1.execute(sqlupdate,args)

if flag2 = .f. then 
    		update_takeoff = "alert('Could not connect to database. Error reported was: " + js_escape( cn1.CallResult.text) + "');"
    		cn1.Close()
    		end 
    	end if

flag = rs1.NextRow()
    end while
    I can manually run the sql directly in MySQL without an issue. I can run the code from my ux component in live preview and the functions work. From some debugging by writing data to a file while running from the server, I know that the flag results for executing the sql is T. I also know that the result set is emplty. I cannot determine why the sql runs fine in live preview and not from the server.

If anyone has thought why the result set is empty on the server, please let me know.

Re: Result Set Blank on Server

my usual question is
    the MySQL server for both preview and from the server are the same, i.e the connection string will be the same
    if they are different then you will need to set the connection string alias to properly adjust to the new environment.
    say for example for preview if you use localhost and for the server unless it is also localhost then you will need alias.( or a fixed destination for both )
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    [email protected]
    1 914 924 5171

Comment

I have the connection strings correct on server and dev environment. The first function does similar sql calls and works correctly, the second function does not return any results (so no records are updated). Unfortunately my issue is not the connections. It must be something in the sql statement that I am not seeing but it does not make sense that the sql works in live/working preview and not on the server.

Comment

I have narrowed down the problem and it seems to be a sequence problem.

If I try to update the records that were created in the first xbasic function with new values in the second function, the second function fails to find any results. However, if I run the second function by itself (I.e. directly from the UX - not being called from the first function), the records are updated correctly.

This Fails - Function1 does create records but function 2 does not update the records
        Function function1 as c (e as p)
        Open connection to sql data

insert into MySQL a header record
        insert into MySQL detail records
        update MySQL header totals based on detail records

Txt = function2 (ci, ji, est_id, takeoff_id)

End function

Function function2 as c (ci, ji, est_id, takeoff)
        Open connection to sql data

Select MySQL detail records into a record set

while record set not EOF
        Process record
        update MySQL detail record
        end while

update MySQL header totals based on detail records

End Function

This Works and updates records(calling function 2 separately not thru function1 where the records are initially created)

function fucntion3 as c (e as p)
        dim ji as N = convert_type(e.dataSubmitted.est_takeoff_job_id,"N")
        dim ci as n = convert_type(e.dataSubmitted.est_takeoff_company_id,"n")
        dim takeoff as n = convert_type(e.dataSubmitted.est_takeoff_id,"n")
        dim est_id as n = convert_type(e.dataSubmitted.take,"n")

function3 = function2(ci, ji, est_id, takeoff)

end function

Comment

this could very well be a dumb question.

I did not realize that you are working with UX component, if you are, why do you need to write all the code?
          if you bind the tables, alpha will update without that many lines. if the tables are related lot easier even if not, then it is just as easy.
          there are some videos in version 11 where they talk about inserting data in one table then another one, please take a look.
          or if you post your table structure, someone will definitely help you sort out things.

also I see this is in desktop, is this correct?
          thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
          mysql backend
          [email protected]
          1 914 924 5171

Comment

If it were just that easy. The process that I have developed is to help estimators create estimates very quickly. The UX component is bound to a table the contains all the quantities required for an estimate. Once the quantities are entered, the estimator can select from different product templates and different pricing databases. Once the have this information selected, they click a button to create the estimate. The estimate is created using the quantities entered in the ux component. In addition, some quantities entered are used in a formula to determine the quantity to use in the estimate (i.e. some quantities are entered as exact measurement and then a waste factor is applied when it is used in the actual estimate).

I created the process in a UX component so that I can roll it out to mobile shortly so we can create estimate in the field in a matter of seconds. However, we plan to start using in in the office before we roll it out to the field.

Comment

yes it looks complicated.
              if you are willing to share some table information people, more knowledgeable than I and more experienced than I would certainly help you, I am sure of this message board.
              thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
              mysql backend
              [email protected]
              1 914 924 5171

Comment

I found the problem but not the solution. I always thought that when you execute a MySQL statement from xbasic that the flag result of .T. meant that the sql ran and was completed. I was testing "flag2 = cn1.execute(sql,args)" and getting .T.. So thought that my records were inserted into the table and I could proceed to the next step.

Since the server does not execute debug(1) statement, the code runs much faster and the data in MySQL execute did not have time to get inserted (i.e. did not complete) and so the second function did not see any results. My quick fix was to pause my function for a few seconds using sleep(3.00).

The sql statement that insert the records looks like the following (with multiple sql statements being executed in one cn1.execute(sql,args) statement. I need to find out how to test that all the sql statements executed (I have not had any luck with cn.nextresult(). I know I can split the sql statement into multiple statement and execute each one independently (which is what I will end up doing). Thanks for our thought on this issue.

Code:
                sqltxt = <<%sqltxt%
                SELECT
                   @cnt := (
                      SELECT
                         COALESCE (max(t1.job_estimate_id), 0) + 1 AS id
                      FROM
                         job_estimate_master t1
                      WHERE
                         t1.company_id = :ci
                      AND t1.job_id = :ji
                   );

INSERT INTO job_estimate_master .....;

INSERT INTO job_estimate_detail (company, job, ...)
                   (SELECT   :ci, :ji, ... );

SELECT sum(detail_qty) ... INTO @subtotal, @tax, @cost, @grand, @opt FROM job_estimate_master
                	INNER JOIN job_estimate_detail ...
                        WHERE
                		job_estimate_master.company_id = :ci
                		AND job_estimate_master.job_id = :ji
                		AND job_estimate_master.job_estimate_id = @cnt
                	GROUP BY
                	job_estimate_master.company_id,
                	job_estimate_master.job_id,
                	job_estimate_master.job_estimate_id;

UPDATE job_estimate_master ...
                	WHERE
                		job_estimate_master.company_id = :ci