Alpha Video Training

Thread: Search into MySQL blob fields

Real Name
    Dragan Milosavljevic

Default Search into MySQL blob fields

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to create a file management system.

I made a form with which it can import any file (PDF, XLS or DOC) in MySQL table as a BLOB data type. Also, at any time from MySQL tables can recreated the same file.
    And it works phenomenally accurate and fast.

I would like to add file search.
    Suppose you looking for a specific term but do not know in which file is located as well as what type of file it is in.

So I should create a store procedure in MySQL that would return a list of record keys of files that match the specified criteria.
    Has anyone done this and if anyone knows if it is possible due to a different file type which are stored in the BLOB field of MySQL table.

Image1.jpg

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: Search into MySQL blob fields

If you can do it as a S.P., that would be the way to do it. Can't even think of an alternative method.

Real Name
    Dragan Milosavljevic

Thanks Peter,

I guess it is not possible to search directly transfer files in blob. Because each file type has its own way of encoding, and then searches the SP is not possible.
    Maybe adding a another blob field in MySQL table that chipped txt versions of files. This makes it complicated to me but maybe the only solution.
    So that one blob field serves to re-generate the file from the table and the other blob field to search for the file.

In this case, we would then need some 'command line' converter doc_to_txt, xls_to_txt, pdf_to_txt ...

Real Name
    Dragan Milosavljevic

So, searches per blob field in who are accommodated files of different extensions and still think it's not possible.
    The workaround for me was to introduce another blob field in which I will accommodate converted version (pdf, xls, doc ...) files in txt format.
    Such a blob data is searchable with store procedure and it works great.

So 2 blob fields, one contains an original version of the file and in the other one is txt version of doc, xls, pdf file.