Alpha Video Training

Thread: Does Alpha Anywhere still build desktop applications?

Real Name
    Marius M.

Default Does Alpha Anywhere still build desktop applications?

Hi all, I am still on version 11 because of the new subscription model of version 12, but have been watching the development of version 12. I noticed that in the last few months, bundles of Alpha Anywhere no longer include the runtime. Does it mean that Alpha no longer supports development of desktop applications?
    It is easier to get older than wiser

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Default Re: Does Alpha Anywhere still build desktop applications?

I Have a v12 RT license. But it's true Alpha's efforts seem to be 99% mobile oriented. The desktop is still important.

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Marius,
    You can call alpha or email to get a quote on developer and/or runtime for desktop.
    I have that. I don't have a license for AA web.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by mariusm View Post
    Hi all, I am still on version 11 because of the new subscription model of version 12, but have been watching the development of version 12. I noticed that in the last few months, bundles of Alpha Anywhere no longer include the runtime. Does it mean that Alpha no longer supports development of desktop applications?
    Following the trends, Alpha was developing the desktop and began to add the web. Then, along came mobile apps and to get a foothold, Alpha switched their primary focus to developing the mobile infrastructure. Of course, most of that also includes the web apps. Naturally, as hot as mobile apps are right now, Alpha is right to go after their share of the market and the web apps sort of slide into the mobile infrastructure's back pocket.

To my knowledge, Alpha has done very little to enhance the desktop. Most of what has been done is to make some web features available to the desktop by way of the super controls. (BTW, I really like that) While the question has been asked many times of Alpha, what will happen with the desktop, the question still remains. I do know that because so many folks still only use the desktop, Alpha won't completely dump it anytime soon. It's just kinda sitting on the back burner, simmering away.

My speculation:

Adding web components to the desktop is like adding options to a car. I remember when cruise control, air conditioning, power brakes, FM radio, heck, even seeing cars advertised in California with a heater. All those options have been standard features for 20-30 years and Alpha needs to make the desktop and web components "one". Well over a year ago, I really thought that was Alpha's intent. So much so that I posted quite a bit of speculation on that note. No doubt, many thought of me as "nutz".

Whether Alpha combines the desktop and the web, time will tell. If they don't, along with many of the desktop users who have left or are exploring other avenues, many more desktop only users will depart because they will be able to get a better product for less money. No product will exist unless it keeps up with with the times and the current desktop is no exception.

Yes, my words are speculation but from what I'm seeing, I believe them to be true. I would like nothing better than for Alpha to combine them. As critical as I've been at times, I've used Alpha products for 25 years (+-) and I'm not wanting to switch. Alpha has a lot going for them, a lot! But sometimes, as the words in a song goes, “Those were the days my friend. We thought they'd never end.” Will the desktop end or will it be combined? Well, technology changes faster than we can blink an eye, or so it seems. Alpha Anywhere is not quite there yet. A desktop app cannot be used as a web or mobile app and visa versa. To be truly “anywhere”, it will have to be and my vote is; Alpha's goal, One app, playable on all three venues, Desktop, Web and Mobile. Go for it, Alpha!!!
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

"Certified" Alphaholic Ray in Capetown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Hendler

And I the same as Peter and Dave
    Its still, in my opinion the best value for what it enables me to produce, quality wise. I am not saying cheapest.
    The value added by these contributors here is the REAL cherry. That is priceless!
    In the years 2003 to 2007 I had bought and used three different offerings. The third was A5v7 which I dumped, but still followed this board and picked up again from v10.
    Left on my own, depending only on AS, I guarantee I would not still be here.
    Last edited by Ray in Capetown; 12-10-2014 at 12:51 PM.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Well said! That sums it up for a lot of folks, including me.

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

"Certified" Alphaholic Ray in Capetown's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ray Hendler

True Ken, for much of the past two years have we all been muddling about with doubts (and some disputes around the time with "WCD" and desktop is dead), but still supporting one another passing snippets of information with no clear direction or pointers from AS ? most of them. Now reading the "whats new in v12" Alpha appears to again be looking after DT. Theres not a lot to add but at least supported. Your vision for singularity - if only...

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

V12 desktop works just fine - am using it on a very bog app
    there has been very little done since 10.5
    the practical reason to go to V12 is that if you want a bug fixed in the desktop, V12 is where you will get it fixed

example - I ran into an issue recently, reported it as a bug, and 15 minutes later I got an email from Selwyn for a work-a-round, and that it had been fixed for the next build
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Selwyn has always paid prompt attention to bugs. However, ya gotta admit, unless it's a bug that one MUST have fixed, going to 12 is a VERY expensive bug fix. (Assuming that is the sole reason.)

Real Name
    Garry Allen

Ken
    Alpha's goal, One app, playable on all three venues, Desktop, Web and Mobile. Go for it, Alpha!!!
    That would indeed be a very fine situation. I recently had to develop my first desktop app (because Alpha server licencing would have more than doubled the cost of making it a web app - even an internal one).
    After struggling with what would and wouldn't work I gave up and created it in my previous development environment - not as pretty perhaps but perfectly functional and no endless annual costs.
    To be fair, part of the problem was probably my inexperience with WCD but I didn't find much help in the documentation. I REALLY like Alpha but I need a programming environment that I can develop anything in. Most of my clients are small businesses, not multi-nationals and most of my projects are on the order of $3000. These type of clients baulk at paying for me to develop the app and then paying an additional $1000/yr to rent the ability to run it from Alpha.

Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Quote Originally Posted by GGAllen View Post
    Ken
    I REALLY like Alpha but I need a programming environment that I can develop anything in. Most of my clients are small businesses, not multi-nationals and most of my projects are on the order of $3000. These type of clients baulk at paying for me to develop the app and then paying an additional $1000/yr to rent the ability to run it from Alpha.
    Hi Gary,

Very well said. The bigger market is by far, the small business apps and Alpha's pricing is not suited for that, IMHO, for the very reason you point out. My only cost effective production is to deploy via Runtime. Although some small business would benefit from web or mobile, the costs far outweigh the benefits. And that, is a simple fact.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Selwyn has always paid prompt attention to bugs.
    That's an UNDERSTATEMENT - every time I send an email or ask a question I get a response pretty darned quick and it is usually a very clear explanation of what the situation is, whether it's solved or not and quite frankly not every issue can be solved I have been very impressed with the responses. I am in agreement with the people who say that one day the web and desktop will be inevitably combined. OBVIOUSLY, we need desktop computers. As much as the mobile device manufacturers seem to be focused on limiting devices like tablets or phones that cant replace the desktop PC - we need the desktop PC and personally I like em. I run windows 8 on an IBM server with dual processors (physical) and 4 gigs of ram. I have a decent graphics card and dual power supplies - it will probably run forever! It's been pretty much running solid now may of 2008!

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Lets not forget Apple didnt invent the iphone on a tablet and smart phone apps and backbone code will continue to make the Desktop PC even more relevant and to wrap it up - Alpha Software will continue to evolve to be an incredible jump forward. I think if you are creative you can already make a desktop app "web enabled" and if all else fails you can use team viewer from anywhere and simply use your PC. Microsoft's remote desktop app is actually not bad either...

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Govindan Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by forskare View Post
    Selwyn has always paid prompt attention to bugs.
    not always in my humble opinion.
    version 11 has few problems that were fixed easily in version 12, I hear, while they are still selling version 11 ( as far as I know) they won't fix them in that version.
    ya gotta admit, unless it's a bug that one MUST have fixed, going to 12 is a VERY expensive bug fix
    agree 100%
    thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
    mysql backend
    http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
    ggandhi344@gmail.com
    1 914 924 5171

Real Name
    Robin

Quote Originally Posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
    "When we were an agrarian nation," he said, "all cars were trucks because that's what you needed on the farm. ... As people started moving away from the farm, the car started taking over."

Jobs may have been right, but there are plenty of people who want trucks -- according to WardsAuto.com, North America produced nearly 9.4 million trucks compared to 7.1 million cars in 2013.
    And I know plenty of people who have both...
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Per Robin,

Manufacturers make more money selling trucks than cars. That is across the board average.

In disagreement. All cars were not trucks. Most people on farms and other used horses/tractors and more well to do people wanted cars to show their ability to get one. Trucks came later. Only "car" company that I know of that made a truck before their cars was Mazda. Some comps never made cars and some never made trucks.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Robin

Hi Dave,
    Be that as it may...I think the point of Peter's article was to show that there is still a need for the desktop and that the appearance of mobile and web technology will not remove that need, but may enhance it - as is certainly the case today.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Hi Robin,

Understood.

I just hate people that are not really acquainted with the car business making very wrong assumptions and presenting them as facts. I have a very long history in that industry and considered a fair historian.

Why don't I make statements about the atom bomb? I absolutely do not understand very much about that subject or it's true history.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Marius M.

In case you guys were wondering, given how I started this thread - I did buy the 'very expensive bug fix'.
    The guys at Alpha were nice as usual and gave me a decent discount, given that I mostly build things for charities, for free or for nominal money. Now I have no excuse, I have to build that mobile app I've been talking about for a year ;-)
    It is easier to get older than wiser