Alpha Video Training

Thread: Black space in keyboards place upon closing.

Real Name
    Adrian

Default Black space in keyboards place upon closing.

Hi there. As per the title I have a Phonegap app which has a few panel cards. In anyone of them bar the first panel card if I click on a field and the keyboard pops up - when I close it, the space that the keyboard occupied is white so I cannot see my submit button etc to save my changes.

Oddly enough I only have the problem past my login screen - doesn't seem to happen using the keyboard to type in the username and password. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Black space in keyboards place upon closing.

I don't think I've run across this with my devices - but can't quite remember. I'm guessing this is happening on an Android device. I think I remember this being reported by a client when they were testing an app... always on Android... never under iOS.

The phones they were testing on were all over the map... some running Android 4.0, some 4.1, which is really old stuff. I never experienced this behaviour on my Nexus 7. And I never solved it... other than to say... stop using such old phones... or rather phones with an OS that is years old.

Overall, the problem is that Android is a scattered platform with manufacturers putting their own spin on the OS. You never know what you're going to get. Not that any of this helps.

Real Name
    Adrian

Can't agree more David and it is frustrating. The phone is running Android 4.2.2 Jellybean - I'll be doing a lot of trial and error to see if there is a fix/workaround for this behaviour. I would pickup a different phone but it is the one that the clients (>120) will be using so I don't have any budge with that

I'll report back if I get anywhere with the issue.

Real Name
    Adrian

Update: Unfortunately it also occurs on an older version of android on a mobile I have lying around. The issue also occurs when using the dropdown dialog as this causes androids own dialog box to popup on the screen with the options specified in the dropdown. Once one is selected and the dialog is closed the screen is white where the popup dialog was prior to closing.

This essentially breaks many components in the app - I cannot redesign my application without text boxes. Perhaps I could use javascript prompts but that will bring up the keyboard and probably cause the same issue.

Real Name
    Adrian

Solution

Thankfully! The issue was, as usual, my fault

A few days ago I had added some "Panel body inline-style" attributes to each panel card and panel navigator in my project.

The CSS attributes I used were
    Code:
     "width: 100%; border-width: 0px; padding: 0px; margin: 0px;"
    I did this in an effort to get rid of an annoying blue margin that was building up on the right hand side of my panels each time I navigated around my application.

So for anyone in the future who has this problem of the keyboard wiping half the screen on closing please check that you haven't set similar attributes to your panel cards as those outlined above.

**The solution for me was just to leave the CSS attribute for "Panel body inline-style" as
    Code:
    "border-width: 0px;"
    This stopped the annoying blue margin on the right AND my keyboard no longer leaves a void on closing.

Thanks and I hope this helps someone else.