Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Memory just keeps climbing up all day on the Alpha App server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memory just keeps climbing up all day on the Alpha App server

If you are using AllwaysUp, then you can set a delay in the startup on the "startup" tab in the "Pause for" field. If they all try to startup at the same time, I find that some will not complete, so I space out the startups at about 30 second intervals and they all start successfully. So, first one is 30, second is 60, third is 90 and so on.
    Pat Bremkamp
    MindKicks Consulting

Comment

The only time I've seen our app server stop responding is when it climbs over 1200mb memory usage (Our Alwaysup is set to restart the app server at 1100mb). What is the memory usage of the instances that stop responding? Also, your load balancer is set up to use all 6 of your instances, right?
      Mike Brown - Contact Me
      Programmatic Technologies, LLC
      Programmatic-Technologies.com
      Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

We have not been having memory issues anymore, Mike, since Alpha identified a dll that was causing the issues we were having with memory. But, anyway, we also have not been using Always Up and my IT technician set that up last night and is spacing out the startups as you suggested, Pat. Thanks. We'll see what happens today...
        Carol King
        Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
        http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

Carol,

FWIW, I have several servers, each with 4 instances of Alpha and use Always Up. On each server, I set the instances to restart nightly starting around 12midnight and space them out about 5-10 minutes apart. Jerry Brightbill recommended doing that so that each restart grabs a different processing core. I also use the AU setting to restart only if the instance has been idle for 5 minutes (user adjustable) and keep retrying for 60 minutes. That way there is less risk that someone will be kicked off.

Comment

Jay, thanks. We installed Always Up last night and maybe we didn't space them enough. Our issue is that each instance does start and even present pages, but a few of our 6 always quit presenting pages in the morning even though they appear to be running. Then we stop and start them manually and they seem to stay up the rest of the day. So it's something to do with the auto startups, maybe.... So we'll try yours (and Jerry's suggestion) and space the startups farther apart. AND your suggestion about checking if instance has been idle sounds good.
            Carol King

Comment

Update: my server technician discovered that Always Up would allow us to start up each instance of the web server in specified cores. (Hopefully I'm using the right terminology). Since he did that, we have had over a week of no issues with the web servers stopping and my customers are reporting much improved performance. I'm thinking we have the whole memory/slowdown/servers stopping issue conquered!
              Carol King

Comment

Great news Carol. One other thing you can do with Always Up is to have your technician use a program I created and uploaded to the Code Archive section which monitors your actual web pages to determine that the WAS server is responding and if not it triggers a restart of the server using the sanity check option of AlwaysUp. Using this and automated nightly restarts I've had my WAS server running for months without intervention. The thread for the CheckAlphaServer utility I created is here: http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafo...ys-Up-users%29
                Last edited by compuaid; 01-28-2015, 07:29 AM.
                Brad Weaver, President
                ComputerAid International
                Ottawa ON Canada
                Versailles KY USA
                www.compuaid.com

Comment

Thanks so much, Brad! I will have my server technician take a look at this for sure! Meanwhile, we are still doing well without any of our multiple instances stopping. I find myself a bit irritated that we had to spend so many months (years?) wrestling with multi users and slow downs and servers stopping without being told by Alpha to use multiple instances and to use Always Up to start them in different cores. Since Alpha has that limitation of not using cores efficiently, it would be good for them to educate their users about a workaround to handle this.
                  Carol King

Comment

Hi Carol,

Can you ask your technician how he assigns the cores. I noticed that option but have never had memory leak issues so didn't have the need to try it. I'm curious how many cores/instances you are running on each server and if he assigns the cores sequentially (i.e. 8,7,6,5) or alternates (8,6,4,2) leaving room in between assignments for the report server.

Thanks,
                    Jay

Comment

Jay, I think I should start a new thread about multiple instances of web server in order to share what we've learned through all of our trials. Once I get the info from my technician, I'll start that thread.
                      Carol King

Comment

Originally posted by kingcarol View Post
                        Jay, I think I should start a new thread about multiple instances of web server in order to share what we've learned through all of our trials. Once I get the info from my technician, I'll start that thread.
                        Good idea ...having the thread title "Multiple App Server Instances" would make it easy to find during a search.
                        Mike Brown - Contact Me
                        Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                        Programmatic-Technologies.com
                        Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Here's the new thread about multiple app server instances that include the documentation by my server technician about how we came to having a stable environment:
                          http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafo...the-Web-Server
                          Carol King

Comment

Working...
                          X