Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Memory just keeps climbing up all day on the Alpha App server

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Memory just keeps climbing up all day on the Alpha App server

There has to be something, I would recommend you move your application to another server on a different host and see if the situation persists. Especially since this is just a few grids, and a few UX's. I would at least try it as something has got to be causing this issue for you, if it persists from there then it is either A5server or the grids and UX's.

Now the grids and UX's cannot exists without the Alpha server so the next logical choice is to remove the grids and UX's
    Start with 2 halfs, test each half and figure out which half see an increase in memory growth usage.
    So in short it can only be a couple of things and after that the ball is in the court of the offender...

I know you said the server cannot be at fault but the ONLY way to really test it is to move it to another host - fresh server install. send it to a friend.
    Unless you just give up on Alpha you cannot eliminate that - after that it's time to hunt down the grid or UX and it may be that there is a setting in one of the components that is causing the leak in the server...no fault of your application!
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Thanks Charles but we have several servers and it happened on all of them. Way too many grids and UX's to tear each one apart.
      Last edited by reedallenbrown; 12-16-2014, 01:04 AM.
      Reed Brown
      ITOT Solutions, Inc.
      Alpha v12

Comment

Well, all I am saying is you gotta start somewhere...or you'll get nowhere fast!
        NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Agreed.
          Reed Brown
          ITOT Solutions, Inc.
          Alpha v12

Comment

This has been happening for years and I also use the AlwaysUp approach. In fact, I am concerned about going to the IIS version since it may prevent me from automatically restarting AA every night.

I've been seeing improvement in a number of areas with the most recent releases. Numbers vary from application to application, but the web server used to have an initial memory usage around 63,000, and now it starts at 49,000, so the starting point is much improved.

Also, the session folders are significantly better at cleaning themselves up. The only things that don't clean themselves out right away are the (some uri).jpg files. I use grids that show photos from directories outside the webroot, so these get created ( I think ) to show the photos. I've seen these files from 8:00 am still in the folders at 11:00 pm. They don't get released until the folder is deleted. So, one approach is when the app starts misbehaving to have the employees log out and log in to a different A5 instance. Logging out and logging back in to the same instance doesn't work (see below).

In my app, it starts misbehaving at about 220,000 (others have said they can climb to 1,500,000 without trouble) so I have gone to 5 server instances, 4 for the 12 employees and 1 for our customers use, and that seems to work just fine.

I did some testing a couple years ago, and at that time (no tests recently) to try to find a plan for dealing with this, and I watched as I did each task. I found that the memory would grow as each grid or dialog1 (that was before UX) was opened, and some simple grids would release the memory when they closed, but those with my custom code would not. (maybe it's me) The memory would climb by about 60,000, then level out and not climb any more. Closing the browser showed a small amount of reduction, but logging in again would cause it to start climbing again just like the first time.
            Pat Bremkamp
            MindKicks Consulting

Comment

Thanks for the information Pat. Not sure what we are going to do. Next step is just to put on line more servers. That way it will take longer for them to re-boot.
              Reed Brown
              ITOT Solutions, Inc.
              Alpha v12

Comment

Pat, when you say you have gone to 5 server instances, what does that mean? 5 separate Alpha web servers? Or 5 separate actual servers? We have such a big beefy server and are thinking of using virtual servers on it to spread the load. Anyone have any thoughts on best thing to do? My customers really complain about slowdown as more and more users get on.
                Carol King
                Developer of Custom Homebuilders' Solutions (CHS)
                http://www.CHSBuilderSoftware.com

Comment

I have 5 instances of the web server all running on one physical server.

You can do this by assigning each instance to a different ip or to a different port. I use different ports. The default port is port 80. You can assign different port numbers, like 81 or 8080 or whatever is a legal port number. This photo shows them running being managed by AlwaysUp.
                  Capture.PNG

You can set the server port number on the Configure Server / General tab for the web server.

The downside is any port other than 80 must have the port identified in the URL, such as MyDomain:8080/index.a5w. That's why I assign the different ports to employees where I can train them. Port 80 is reserved for customers so they don't need to specify the port.

Pat
                  Pat Bremkamp
                  MindKicks Consulting

Comment

On a variation of Pat's suggestion, I have the login on port 443 for all employees but they are redistributed to other ports using a redirect page. So the eyesore of a port number in the url is still there, but you don't have to train them on it.

Comment

Carol & anyone else who is interested ....

This is Alpha's instructions on how to set up multiple instances: https://www.alphasoftware.com/aareso...s-Services.pdf
                      Mike Brown - Contact Me
                      Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                      Programmatic-Technologies.com
                      Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Mike, that IS interesting to me! Thanks. Do you know if a separate server license in required for each instance?
                        Carol King

Comment

Originally posted by kingcarol View Post
                          Mike, that IS interesting to me! Thanks. Do you know if a separate server license in required for each instance?
                          Nope. You will need more IP addresses however.

I work with Reed and he set us up. We went from 3 app servers (one per WAS) to 9 (3 per WAS).
                          Mike Brown - Contact Me
                          Programmatic Technologies, LLC
                          Programmatic-Technologies.com
                          Independent Developer & Consultant​​

Comment

Hi Reed,

I used to have that problem with the memory creep, but haven't had that on V12.

Have you tried working with Zebrahost to host your app? I am don't think they are doing anything specific that they are aware of with regards to this problem, but ever since I went to V12 and windows 2012 servers the problem disappeared. Doesn't happen for one of my clients either. And we both have in total three large sprawling applications with a lot of grids and UX's so if it was specific to how some application component. was configured you would think we would have hit it.

Comment

Thanks Scott,

We have had this problem for years and just a few days ago had to add 6 more IP's in order to spread the problem around somewhat. That seems to help in us having to restart the WAS during the day.
                              Reed Brown
                              ITOT Solutions, Inc.
                              Alpha v12

Comment

We have setup up multiple server instances now by following the steps in the link below. It is working well, in general, except that randomly 2 or 3 of our 6 server instances will just stop working. They show that they are running, but when accessing them via a web page, we get the message that the web page cannot be displayed. This happens mostly in first few hours of the early morning as users start getting on. They all work after our server reboot but out of the blue some will stop, and not the same ones. Once the problem web servers are manually stopped and restarted, they seem to stay up fine for the rest of the day.

Does anyone have anything to contribute about why web servers would just stop being accessible?

https://www.alphasoftware.com/aareso...s-Services.pdf
                                Carol King

Comment

Working...
                                X