Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha Anywhere Vs Qt Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha Anywhere Vs Qt Project

Dropping xbasic for alpha would be or is a very big undertaking. I really do not know anything that is done with xbasic that cannot be done with js, but is a huge difference in learning.

Advantages to JS:
    one can interact with PHP and others more easily.
    all web stuff, even if used on desktop

When I use PHP, there is almost always js on the front side that is used for anything needed to setup the forms, do some math, etc.
    Add css to this and you can make a very nice looking app.
    Reporting which is the same as books in some can be wildly more diverse and complete. These can also be done in different ways depending on platforms or none.

Imagine a report that can be written that becomes and action game? It can!!

Alpha is heading there. Just not sure they know it yet.

Going further with edit:
    My humble opinion is that most websites today are built on a CMS solution like Joomla and Wordpress. What are they built on? PHP and MySQL as a base, then javascript and CSS. That does not meant to say that other is not used, but generally not.
    One can build a super nice website based on cms in very short order and it can sit on a Linux or windows server. I have 6 of my own on Linux and 2 on windows servers. The only difference I can see is speed, but that may be a choice of hosts.

Where would I like to see alpha in the future?
    1. able to sit on either Linux or Windows servers
    2. No xbasic on the web (Has to be for Linux - I think)
    3. Carry the ease of use and deployment they currently have with the diversity they currently exhibit with desktop and web.
    4. Integration with the strong CMS front ends that are available now.
    5. More that I will keep quite about for now.
    I believe all of the above is coming in time and would be game changers for the whole web world including Lans.
    Last edited by DaveM; 01-05-2015, 01:07 PM.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Dave,
      Xbasic won't go away neither PHP,ASP etc. The change is Alpha plans in middle / long term to move all xbasic to JS functions. As Selwyn mentioned Xbasic will be available for all users.

Comment

Eric,
        I am thinking of a longer term than that. A lot is in hope too.
        I use xbasic as much as most and more than a lot of people, but consider it an anchor on the web. Moving to js functions is a great first step. The alpha users are a large group and very much into xbasic and it will take a lot of time to move them from xbasic to js functions. Some will Not wish to move. Others will embrace it. Others will be very slow to move over.
        Selwyn(and alpha) understands that. They were taught well when moving from a3 to a4 to a5.

To the user base, Learning is moving and standing still is rotting.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I think you better watch the video for the Alpha Roadmap:

1. Moveing Xbasic to Serverside Script JS that will be possible
          2. Alpha will translate the Xbasic to JS functions
          3. Desktop not sure, while most Desktops as Windows based
          4. I see Alpha more as LOB and not As CMS, as Node is on board it's a peace of cake the hook any JS based MS
          5. Yeah do that! --->

Comment

So, being a newbie, I have no knowledge of "the road map". What kind of time frame are we talking about concerning a possible abandonment of Xbasic? I have rudimentary skills in VB, so I was looking forward to diving into Xbasic. Just going through the demo exercises, it was apparent that JS would be a good thing to learn, so I am going to work on that. You guys have me worried that i am trying to gain traction on shifting sands.

Comment

Originally posted by MEI152 View Post
              So, being a newbie, I have no knowledge of "the road map". What kind of time frame are we talking about concerning a possible abandonment of Xbasic? I have rudimentary skills in VB, so I was looking forward to diving into Xbasic. Just going through the demo exercises, it was apparent that JS would be a good thing to learn, so I am going to work on that. You guys have me worried that i am trying to gain traction on shifting sands.
              Chris,

Not to worry. Xbasic will be with Alpha either, for a long time to come, or forever, meaning as long as Alpha exists - and Alpha IS a survivor. But it is good to learn JavaScript as well. JS is THE browser language. But you can learn both xbasic and JS on an as-need basis as you develop your app or apps.
              Peter
              AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
              https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Chris,
                As Peter said.
                and
                Remember that as the sands shift in alpha, the shift is always in small movements and you will be able to keep up.

You are right to learn both and as Peter said, do it as you need it for both.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Hello Chris,

I moved from Visual FoxPro to Alpha Five and never looked back. You may check this article to get you the idea of the road I took until I found Alpha Five. You may look at this video as for No Interest Loan Application to see what you can do with Alpha Five as for an accounting application. We also developed an application for Avis Car Rental Contract Manager and it works like a charm with 30 different locations.

Regards,

Doron
                  The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Main Web Site: http://www.dFarber.com
                  MS SQL Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
                  Convert Ms Access to Web
                  Custom Software Development
                  Alpha Five Development
                  MS SQL Remote DBA
                  Last edited by DoronF; 01-07-2015, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X