Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: defined List control button - Synchronize data

Real Name
    Todd

Default defined List control button - Synchronize data

I easily worked through example to place this control..
    There appears to be no underlying CRUD to actually synchronize data with a native dbf table. Is this control only designed for SQL or would the CRUD need to be coded either way?
    I get that using SQL would be better but it seems that the disconnected synchronizing to a dbf table should also be an automated process. Can someone point me to an example. Grid components have the CRUD generated automatically but I lack the clear process of how to create this code myself for the synchronizing process.

I have a desktop application that I do not wish to spend all the time to modify and customer wants to keep data local on internal machine.

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Default Re: defined List control button - Synchronize data

The attached example was created very quickly.

Create table using genie (I don't use dbf's anymore so had to create one), I used account information template.

create new web component, UX component. Add list control and use dbf as data source. Point to account information table and check all fields.

On list properties tab check has detail view, on detail view tab edit detail view field map, then create new UX controls for all un-mapped fields. OK, then accept location. List layout tab add the fields to the list. Then Ok to save list.

Click on defined controls to open the accordion and choose List-detail view-buttons, then select the list and the buttons you want and it's done full CRUD
    Attached Files Attached Files

Real Name
    Todd

server-side commands.JPG

Thanks for the assistance. Still not writing or updating to created dbf file.

What am I still missing.

"Certified" Alphaholic Lance Gurd's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lance Gurd

Yes Sorry you are correct, I assumed when I saw the blue or orange synchronization markers disappear that the save to the database had happened. This is not the case and I have had a play around with data binding with no luck! One for Selwyn I fear.

Real Name
    Todd

So the dbf falls into this statement " If the Lists are not based on a SQL data source, then you will need to write your own synchronization handlers to persist the edits."
    It seems that the dbf file format is largely abandoned unless you can code. I was hoping to continue to allow both desktop app and web app to save changes to the dbf files. Disconnected is especially not friendly toward the dbf database unless and until they create synchronization handlers.

Real Name
    Erich Feigel

Quote Originally Posted by Td203 View Post
    So the dbf falls into this statement " If the Lists are not based on a SQL data source, then you will need to write your own synchronization handlers to persist the edits."
    It seems that the dbf file format is largely abandoned unless you can code. I was hoping to continue to allow both desktop app and web app to save changes to the dbf files. Disconnected is especially not friendly toward the dbf database unless and until they create synchronization handlers.
    Is there any update to this or is PERSITSING to DBF tables not doable without coding? I just spent 2 days trying to get a disconnected UX working before I found this post.

Erich

Real Name
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by erichf View Post
    Is there any update to this or is PERSITSING to DBF tables not doable without coding? I just spent 2 days trying to get a disconnected UX working before I found this post.

Erich
    I have not heard or read anything more on using DBF tables in the List Control. List Control is the primary configuration for disconnected data along with the new Form View. They have removed or eliminated the DBF as a choice in Data source type for the List Control. This leaves me to conclude that they are further distancing from the legacy DBF tables.

I thought it would have been rather simple for them to create the crud and put it on a button but with all the synchronization issues it was probably wise to choose a modern standard. I can't see them easily resolving this for us so I made my transitions. I just thought they should have clearly told us so that we didn't waste time searching for a solution. Eliminating DBF as a source for the List Control would make it clear that they don't support the CRUD operations. It was painful to setup all the DBF source and then not be able to save and synchronize with their buttons.

It did persist in the Json format. It just did not perform CRUD back to the DBF file.

If you learn more please post an update. I have changed my development to the SQL data source so that all the video and training examples are fully applicable.
    Last edited by Td203; 10-12-2015 at 11:26 AM.

Real Name
    Erich Feigel

Todd, thanks for the info. Yes it is disappointing. I have a very large deployed app - all in DBF and I don't look forward to changing it all to MYSQL. I guess I'll just have to grin and bear it ... I just remember when I changed from Paradox to Alpha 5 as it was not fun but I didn't have so many tables to migrate. ERICH

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Have a look here... may be related information. In general, try using an AlphaDAO connection to an ODBC data source. This works.

http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphafo...UX-from-a-List

Real Name
    Todd

Thanks - this works great.