Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Newbie Variety of Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie Variety of Questions

It has been, many years, sadly since I have visited these forums! But I am delighted that it is still running and the software (possibly) still valid and I hope supported well.

I am hoping that someone might be able to help with my queries or verify some of the following please ! :)

I bought some of the very early versions of the AlphaFive software with Web Application Licence from the beginning!
    However through personal bereavements (& so on) I never got the time to get started ! However I kept upgrading hoping to get going ... I am almost at the point of finally getting started ! Yeah! :)

I now have version 9 with Web Application licence.

My plan is (as it always has been), to get an online database that users can update themselves, that will auto update onto my systems (live or at certain intervals). Each entry or listing will have around 400 options in all, and I expect to eventually have around 250,000 individual and business listings. Many will have several contacts and addresses.

1) I am assuming that this aim is still possible to do with v9 and the web licence ?

2) I am using Win 7 and a top quality laptop, so assuming that v9 will run smoothly and I should expect any particular software problems or difficulties in it's running and functioning ? i.e. no one has had major bugs or issues ?

3) Since transferring the software to my latest laptop it now wants a licence number - how can I obtain this please, as mine is in my other office (somewhere)?
    I have had to move everything and no idea where I put it. Plus much paperwork is now damaged / ruined, and it may not be around any more! The old laptop may not work either and I am currently at my new (2nd) location and unable to try! ?
    (I've tried directly sending an online request to Alphafive for this, but their webpage form is constantly throwing up errors, and an old email address I tried failed too!)

4) Am I right in thinking that Alphasoftware is still linked to Alphafive, or have they split please?

5) Can I still get help in here or where-ever, to help get me started, and to develop the software to my needs as I go along ?
    (My last version had included some free tutorials and free 'get started' help, but I'm not sure if this is even still possible let along available! ?)

6) Are the latest versions 'much improved/better' or 'easier to work' than v9?

7) Might anyone, be interested in my older versions? (All downloaded with all their own license numbers but I might only find a few of those numbers! However Alpha5 ought to be able to supply new one's I would have thought?)

Re: Newbie Variety of Questions

I will attempt to answer.
    1. Yes you can do that with V9. There is no restriction as long as you have your original licenses.
    2. V9 will run on up to but not including Win8.1, and will not run if you have Internet Explorer 11. You would need to upgrade to Alpha Anywhere to develop on Win8.1/IE11 machines.
    3. If you cannot find it you will have to contact Alpha sales for your license. What web page is blowing up? You can try this hard to find page to login, but you would need to know your login credentials.
    4. Alpha Software still owns Alpha Five (V6,7,8,9,1,11, etc.) but you won't find any current support for those older versions. You can find support for legacy versions on this forum or at iadn.com.
    5. Yes this is the best place for free help but put your posts in the appropriate V9 forum. V9 is so much different than V11 or Anywhere.
    6. Much improved yes, easier - not sure about that. The latest is a quantum leap in features, genies and are of course geared to where the world is today. V9 is "old". Latest can be much harder in fact because there is more to chew on.
    7. Typically long time developers are looking for RUNTIME and Web App Server licenses, but not the Developer. Alpha generally has no problem with you selling them, at least they have never balked, but neither you or the buyer is going to get support from Alpha on those older versions.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

I am going to act like I did not see Steve's great answers and give my view of your questions.

1) I am assuming that this aim is still possible to do with v9 and the web licence ?
      Yes it is.

2) I am using Win 7 and a top quality laptop, so assuming that v9 will run smoothly and I should expect any particular software problems or difficulties in it's running and functioning ? i.e. no one has had major bugs or issues ?
      It will run fine on win 7. I prefer win8, but might have a few small glitches with alpha5 V9. Note there may be small first time settings needed and be sure you are the administrator. If you run into it, just ask here.

3) Since transferring the software to my latest laptop it now wants a licence number - how can I obtain this please, as mine is in my other office (somewhere)?
      I have had to move everything and no idea where I put it. Plus much paperwork is now damaged / ruined, and it may not be around any more! The old laptop may not work either and I am currently at my new (2nd) location and unable to try! ?
      (I've tried directly sending an online request to Alphafive for this, but their webpage form is constantly throwing up errors, and an old email address I tried failed too!)
      As Steve directed you. There will be a license number for the software and a separate one for the application server

4) Am I right in thinking that Alphasoftware is still linked to Alphafive, or have they split please?
      Alpha Software is the company and alpha 5v12 is the newest offering.

5) Can I still get help in here or where-ever, to help get me started, and to develop the software to my needs as I go along ?
      (My last version had included some free tutorials and free 'get started' help, but I'm not sure if this is even still possible let along available! ?)
      This is where I generally come for help and been using alpha for 25+- years.

6) Are the latest versions 'much improved/better' or 'easier to work' than v9?
      Easier? No More to it? Yes. There may be a lot of stuff you desire in later versions that were not included in v9. If I were going to build a web app starting right now with alpha, I would get the latest version. It works well in win7 and 8.1. There are just features that are not there in the older versions and with people doing more tablets and phones??? The other is that it can probably stay alive and useable quite a while longer.

7) Might anyone, be interested in my older versions? (All downloaded with all their own license numbers but I might only find a few of those numbers! However Alpha5 ought to be able to supply new one's I would have thought?)
      There are developers that would like your v9 and back that want something not quite as expensive to start with or to move from alpha4. The runtimes are the most precious commodity for older versions that had different rules, but runtimes do have their own license numbers for the desktop. Some of the old versions do not bode well on the newer systems and it is getting worse for the dos people.

By the way, there is a separate area for web side and desktop. This is in desktop.
      Good Luck.
      Dave Mason
      [email protected]
      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks very much for your most informative answers. They are all a great help. :D
        I also had a call from a chap who recalled a previous conversation and amazingly still had my number! :) Wow thank you too! :)

After some considerations about versions I think since Alpha Anywhere demands SO much money I am going to have to try and work with v9 for the time being. Although when Alpha answer (so far nothing but it is the weekend) :) I will see how much the v12 might be. As I recall the Web License simply carried over from version to version. I will have written down all the licence numbers I just don't recall where they all are ... I lost a years email with no back up at one point and at least one might have been in that but I write everything down so I do have hope that it maybe somewhere! :) However as stated previously I'm not at that location at this time so it will have to wait.
        I will have a more extensive search for this versions licence and for any later versions too. I gather that Brett is still at A s/w so having sent him an email too when the other failed and bounced back I hope he will get in touch soon.

I am delighted that it is still running and have now found the fb page and various Youtube recordings.
        I recall that there were online tutorials too but are these still happening or recorded so that I might download them from somewhere please? Does anyone know ?
        Yes I have realised that there is a web app and a dt forum although at the moment I hoped that the dt is the right place for this post ? :)
        I hope to make up a basic db first and then try and make it web based but some way to go before then! :D And probably about 1000 questions! :D

Comment

The reason I suggested webside waus the whole gist of your first post was about web type functionality. If others are to access your application from the web, you may wish to do web. If others are to access your app from within your company on a lan, DT may be better.

I do Desktop primarily and yes, some can get to the app from out side the confines. It is not ideal for the web though.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Yep and thanks. I think as I see this as taking me months to really get into then dt was a good place to start. It will be a while before I get to the Web App part! :)
            I am pleased to say that I have now had a call from Alpha and in a while I hope that I will upgrade to v11 with a possibility to v12 in about a year... Having discussed prices (always advised) the upgrade won't be as pricey as I'd feared.
            Having manged to establish when I purchased v9 Platinum I found the original email (Oh thank Goodness) and got the licence! Yeeah! :D Cool. So I'm set to get started soon!
            So I will be back in a while with various questions - or in the Web bit! :) Thanks to all ! Most appreciated. Look forward to getting started! :D

Comment

A different point but I can't see how to contact the forum Admin ?
              I can't reply to PM's nor to I seem to have permissions to send new PM's etc ? Can someone check this please and get back to me? Thank you. Claire :D

Comment

Claire,
                If your app will be web, I would suggest you completely skip DT altogether. What you learn will mostly be useless on the web.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

OK :) ty.

Comment

http://www.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/showgroups.php
                    There can be only one.

Comment

Does it not irk you to see .php at the end of an address to alphas forum?
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Heavens, no. I doubt any of us could build an equivalent to vBulletin or Simple Machines (what I use) and then give it away for free.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

I use phpbb that can be almost like this one.
                          Agree with steve. I would not want the job of creating any of them either.
                          Vbulletin is not free from what I saw.
                          Dave Mason
                          [email protected]
                          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Thanks Stan that's interesting and helpful. But I still don't know why I can't send a PM - or is that the list of how to successfully send one ? I think I'm missing something ? :)

Comment

Claire,
                              I think something is not clicked in your profile. I can't pm to you.
                              Dave Mason
                              [email protected]
                              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                              X