Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Mobile App + Desktop App in same workspace!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile App + Desktop App in same workspace!!!

I have desktop app running very well, however, I have developed a mobile app FOR the same desktop app. My problem is the login. They both use the same sql db. I don't want to maintain multiple security and workspaces for the same functions.

Can I or rather how do I host both apps in the same workspace with each having its own logon screens but using the same security framework?

ANY assistance will be appreciated.

Regards

Re: Mobile App + Desktop App in same workspace!!!

By Desktop do you mean Windows GUI using Alpha's Desktop development or do you mean a "desktop browser-based" application. If the later, they both use security framework so I don't see why there would be a problem, it would be the same in both cases. If you mean a traditional Windows Desktop app, the security systems are different and you should post a similar question on the Desktop forum like "how do I expose the Desktop security tables" or similar. I never understood where those users lived in a Desktop app.
    Steve Wood
    See my profile on IADN

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Wood View Post
      By Desktop do you mean Windows GUI using Alpha's Desktop development or do you mean a "desktop browser-based" application. If the later, they both use security framework so I don't see why there would be a problem, it would be the same in both cases. If you mean a traditional Windows Desktop app, the security systems are different and you should post a similar question on the Desktop forum like "how do I expose the Desktop security tables" or similar. I never understood where those users lived in a Desktop app.
      Steve,
      It's the windows browser based system.
      My issue is that when I open the mobile login screen, I get forwarded back to the browser login screen. When I log into the browser screen I get to the normal grid which is correct. I have a separate "mobile" menu system in the same workspace and the mobile login should take me there. I also want to use the same userid for the login, but separate login screens. One for mobile and one for browser

Comment

...I have what you need working but I used to have this issue a lot...I have a couple of apps each with a different log in component for a mobile and a desktop web browser - they work fine now.... I recall using the mobile (phone) log-in used to sometimes re-direct to the desktop web browser view (on my phone) drove me nuts...I cant recall exactly what I did to fix it...as an aside I also now know when I create a new ux login for a smart phone it is best to use a working example, when I build new ones I sometimes get a random result like the login page does not size correctly, I cant figure out why or how to force it to size correctly (other then tilting the phone or hitting the back button on my S5)...

In my working example I have a lot of code now as I save and recall cookies for remember me functions and I have pattern swipe login options (the standard username and password is impractical in my book) , again I cant recall exactly how I fixed the issue but here are some pieces of my code in the mobile ux where I don't have the issue, try these, they may help...

1) afterLogin - client side event handler , there is a javascript statement {dialog.object}.panelSetActive('PANEL_APPLICATION'); I thought this would manage the transition of the page but I had the same issue you did, looking at my code just now I see I created a new statement for this event handler {dialog.object}.runAction('InsertUXintoPanel');. The action InsertUXintoPanel is built in the UX dialog properties (Javascript actions) and the action opens a ux component and herfe I choose the app I want to re-direct to (my main mobile app) after logging in. The target is a panel and the panel is PANEL_APPLICATION (for me, a5 default off the template UX) . I'm pretty new to the run object method of the dialog but I'm finding it very useful in other parts of my app, if you need some more info or pics when I get some time I'll help as much as I can.

The other issue I found is I could log in (from the mob login to the mob app) but then when I logged out meaning to go back to the mobile log-in I would get directed to the web browser log-in grrr, try the following
        2) Javascript onClick event of logout button I use this code... location.href = 'logout.a5w'; ...I don't use the standard dialog.logout() statement.
        2a) then in the a5w logout page I made I have this code

<%a5

a5ws_logoutuser(session, request, response)
        SESSION.ABANDON()

dim vDevice as C = Request.UserAgent
        if containsi(vDevice,"ipad") then
        response.redirect("TabbedUI_MainMobile.a5w")
        else if containsi(vDevice,"android")then

response.redirect("mobile_login.a5w")' this is where I needed to end back, this hosts my mobile login ux component
        else
        response.redirect("TabbedUI_Main.a5w")
        end if

%>

I'm very much a part time developer but I think these code snippets fixed my issues, if they dont let me know and I'll have a closer look to see if there was some other methods I knew...good luck. Also be interested to know what the A5 gurus think...probably a much simply way...

Brad

Comment

I handled this completely different having the same needs. I created (sometimes duplicate) componants with different usergroups. For example, I made a button linking to a grid for field reports, a company owner and secretary would want access so they see this "button" in the tabbedui because of their respective usergroup. A technician, who would usually be out in the field on a mobile device would see the same thing except this time the database information is presented in a UX so when he logs into the tabbedui he only sees the components (buttons) that are running UX's
          Since the company owner and secretary usergroups are looking at a grid (which in this case is read only) if they want to modify, or create a new field report I created a button to open the UX in a window, that way the width settings of 100% don't look retarded since I set the width of the window at that time.

I know this doesn't really answer your question but it is a different approach that can handle your basic needs, hope this helps.
          To me this is a better approach than trying to get the screen size and presenting all of the various aspects of my application, first it's easier.
          Trying to figure out all of the space requirements per grid/UX would be a living hell, secondly - I personally do not like websites that limit my content based on what my screen size is and many times I request the desktop site on my phones browser because even googles "mobile friendly" versions of their content annoy me. Try accessing 3-4 different gmail accounts' contacts...hand me a desktop PC please!

Anyway, again I hope this helps. With some creativity you can present a decent user experience for both in the same tabbedui.

You could create, permissions groups that only present mobile friendly UX's and let the user decide when they login if they want a desktop or a mobile device experience...

oh the many ways to design.
          NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Hi Brad,

Thanks for the very useful information. I did exactly what you said, however, it still seems to revert back to the normal desktop [browser] login and does NOT forward me to the UX in question. Please see if you can find something else you might have done to sort this.

I also have the issue of [if isolating the mobile system to its own workspace where the login etc works fine] that I get a blank panel after login. Only when I actually refresh the browser does it load my "Menu UX]. Nowhere can I find a place to force a refresh after login

Comment

Hi Cornelius...ok I'll have another look later today...re your second issue, I had the same problem, what I discovered after banging my head against a brick wall for a few hours is that it is not a blank screen but the top left hand corner of the log-in screen and the log-in screen is now very large. If you pinch zoom or change the orientation of your phone (or in my case with the Samsung 5 I push the back button) it will also fix the issue (same effect as a refresh) I also looked for ages to find a method to force a refresh but could not find one. Eventually I rebuilt the component and restarted the WAS so many times I eventually got a component that worked, I can't tell you what it is with the component I have that now works other than it does and when I need a new one I simply copy this, if I build a new one from scratch I seem to keep get the same issues.

So my suggestion is...plan A is rebuild it (...just thinking, did you use the second piece of code in the logout btn as above) from scratch and see if that works, Plan B I'll figure out how to upload a copy my working version and perhaps you can modify that for your needs and that will work?

I've got to go to work but I'll have a sqiz at the code later today and see if I can see what else I ended up doing to help with the original issue (I'm sure what I am doing is the long way be great if an A5 guru had the quick answer and would share it)

Cheers
              Brad

Comment

ha Ha Brad. Thanks for the help. I bet you become a guru if you spend lots and lots of hours on A5 as well as know what you're talking about. In my case I could spend the next few years and still be a greenhorn!!!

The blank screen actually appears AFTER a successful login. The issue with the small login screen I sorted [as you did]. Its the transition between login and my panel application/menu that don't seem to complete at all. When I refresh the browser it actually loads my login and immediately transitions to my menu system and loads the correct panel.

Comment

LOL. I am firmly somewhere between beginner and intermediate, the more I look at this I doubt I'll ever get beyond intermediate but its turned into a hobby and I am starting to monetise it which is great. I havn't had the issue of the blank screen after login. If you're using the template UX with mobile security I would have through that would work...if you haven't tried it, try the method I expained in my first post where you create an action to open the UX (actual app) in the target panel...happy to walk you through that if you need a hand.

Re the original issue, I went through my code again and found another piece that may help...instead of the logout code I suggested above (sorry I have a few versions), put the following in your event handler for the logout button.

{dialog.object}.logout();
                  {dialog.object}.destroyChildComponent('PAT_MOB_APP_CHILD');

In this example my app is called Pat_mob_app. I haven't had a chance to review but looking at this I am guessing you need to put the name of your app in uppercase and append with _CHILD (and wrap in single quotes). Hope that helps?
                  Cheers
                  Brad

Comment

Working...
                  X