Alpha Video Training

Thread: Cannot create text watermark if HTML5 is selected as "number"

Real Name
    Eric Windhauser

Default Cannot create text watermark if HTML5 is selected as "number"

I have a UX component with a textbox field to be used for the credit card number on a mobile page.

Since space is at a premium I have placed the field label "Card Number" as a watermark label. The problem lies in that if I change the textbox property "HTML5 Type" to "Number" --- the watermark disappears. I need the HTML5 to be numeric because on a phone, I don't want the entire keyboard to show - I only want the numeric keypad to show.

If I change the watermark text to a numeric value such as "1234" the watermark will show because it matches the HTML5 Type i have selected.

Any ideas on how to keep textbox property of "HTML5 Type" as "Number" and still show a character watermark?

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Re: Cannot create text watermark if HTML5 is selected as "number"

I would think that somewhere in the OnFocus you could set the html property to (Number) that would accomplish what you want. I don't know how to do it though, lol
    I set the type to "tel" that brings up just numbers on a mobile device - but allows for a string or char watermark - at least for me!

Real Name
    Eric Windhauser

Eureka! Thank you Charles --- using "Tel" as the HTML5 property works to allow a character watermark just as I need. Thank you!

Real Name
    Eric Windhauser

ok... now if I want to have a watermark, and the numeric keypad and the field to show as a password field... i can't have all three. If I change it to a password field none of the HTML5 options work. All HTML5 options then bring up the QWERTY keyboard when password is enabled.

The reason I need this is for someone entering their checking account/routing number... We ask them to enter each twice and the first for each is a password field so they can't simply look at the value they entered the first time when entering it a second time === because if they entered it wrong the first time, they would end up typing it wrong the second time too so we need to "hide" the first value they entered to force them to read it from their check again.

Any ideas? Can we somehow code the field when it loses focus to switch to a password field? If so, how would I approach this?

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

I don't really follow you on this but I think you could use some show/hide logic and masking. I think also that the password field is always a varchar field type but that's just me guessing. i think you could use a "Next" button and put the two fields in separate modal panels or something. I hope this gives you some ideas, again I really don't follow your goal...

Real Name
    Eric Windhauser

The goal is to hide the routing and account number after the client enters them the first time behind a "password" style --- we want them to actually refer to the checking account for the acct and routing number when they enter it the second (verify) time rather than just copying the number they entered the first time which may have been transcribed incorrectly. Similar to how many sites request you to enter your email twice to ensure that you didn't type it wrong the first time.

see the attached image to see what we are trying to accomplish

sample.jpg