Alpha Video Training

Thread: errors drop users to control panel

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Default errors drop users to control panel

On runtime - shadow, users are periodically dropped into the control panel. Although it is hidden in autoexec, still shows everything
    anyone had that experience?
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Default Re: errors drop users to control panel

I've not normally seen this.

Is this random or at a certain point - form, browse, process?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

It seems random - have asked the operators to tell me where they were and what they did just before - but so far nothing specific

Also, even though I hide the control panel in the autoexec, it drops them to a completely visible control panel - they use task manager to close Alpha
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Gotta love random.....
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Volunteer Moderator Peter.Greulich's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Greulich

Martin,

As a safety, put controlpanel.hide() in the OnActivate event of one or more critical forms. But you knew that.

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Well ..... I have a "Master Menu" that never closes, and has a timer set to run every 60 seconds - I put in the timer event controlpanel.hide() - this, hopefully at least, will prevent the users from getting into trouble.

I think I have the problem figured out, but don't know where it is coming from - since they cannot close Alpha (except via the task manager,) the "Master Menu" is still open (you have to say this.code.canexit="" to close it.)

Hopefully I will figure it out.
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Tom Cone Jr

Martin, we'll be following this with interest. Let us know what you discover. Good luck!

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

I don't have v12 but going back to v10.5 (as well as v11) I have seen it happen. No idea how it happens, except that I would guess the error somehow occurs before one gets to the autoexec. Fortunately it is rare, and the last time I personally saw it happen was quite some time ago. Unfortunately I don't remember the nature of the error that triggered it.

Ray Lyons

Real Name
    Robin

I use Peter's method that hides the control panel onactivate and zorders the form to the.bottom without having to have the timer running. The only thing I use the timer for is to make sure the main form fills the window when it is the only form shown. Then the timer is turned off when another form is called. It works well.
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

I guess I should clarify (to the extent I can!). I am pretty sure (!) the only time I have witnessed this happening was before any form was loaded. Thus the error occurred either in the autoexec or before it. Also, I am sure that whatever triggered the problem was something random, not something that always happened and needed a fix to go away--and it has to be very rare. Again, for me it was in v10.5 and/or v11. I don't have v12 and probably never will, but that's a completely different story.

Raymond Lyons

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    I guess I should clarify (to the extent I can!). I am pretty sure (!) the only time I have witnessed this happening was before any form was loaded. Thus the error occurred either in the autoexec or before it. Also, I am sure that whatever triggered the problem was something random, not something that always happened and needed a fix to go away--and it has to be very rare. Again, for me it was in v10.5 and/or v11. I don't have v12 and probably never will, but that's a completely different story.

Raymond Lyons
    Okay, I ran into one version of this, but it is different from what Martin was wondering about. The case I ran into was not really random at all, in that it would happen every time the shadow DB was opened on certain machines. What happened was that somehow a date field in a parameters table got changed to a 2 digit numerical. The autoexec does a lookup of that field, expecting it to be a date field. The mismatch caused an error, and clicking OK on the error message dumped the user into the A5 Control Panel (yes, I know, bad error trapping on my part!). How did the date field get changed to numeric? Good question. I am not sure but one possibility is that it happened when I was adding a field to the table on the server and somehow inadvertently messed up the date field without noticing it. But that does not make much sense, because this did not happen on all users shadows, just 2 at most. Also the tables get zipped, copy/pasted and unzipped a lot, so something could have happened there, and maybe only on some computers. I don't know, but all is working properly now, except I still need to look at better error handling.

Raymond Lyons

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

you cannot trap this kind of error - it goes to the panel without giving an error
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by martinwcole View Post
    you cannot trap this kind of error - it goes to the panel without giving an error
    Martin, you are far more of an expert than I am, but I thought, well, why couldn't one just put A5_Close() at the end of the error handler? So I experimented and recreated the error situation, with a simple error trap that included :A5_Close(), thinking that would keep the control panel from opening by closing down A5. The results were interesting and disconcerting: When I first did it and tested (using both V10.5 and V11) I would get the same error message in my error handler that A5 had given me without the error handler, and then :A5_Close() indeed closed everything down instead of going to the Control Panel, just as I wanted. But then mysteriously a few tests later (with no changes whatsoever to the application) no error occurred at all and the opening form opened with a number in the date field that was supposed to trigger the error!! Then I discovered that the latter occurred only if I opened the DB via a desktop shortcut to the ADB file. But I would get the error if I used "Recent Databases" or "Select A Database" and :A5_Close() worked as expected. To make matters worse, most of the application's users open the ADB via a command line from another program. I'm not sure what happens in that case, but I suspect it would be the same as with a desktop shortcut to the ADB file.

As I don't have V12, I don't know if that would make any difference. But this is disturbing, and as someone said privately, bad behavior on A5's part. I don't ever want a user dumped into the Control Panel.

Raymond Lyons

"Certified" Alphaholic Stan Mathews's Avatar
    Real Name
    Stan Mathews

What happens if you try it as

codeTxt = <<%code%
    :A5_Close()
    %code%
    on_xbasic_idle(codeTxt)
    There can be only one.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mathews View Post
    What happens if you try it as

codeTxt = <<%code%
    :A5_Close()
    %code%
    on_xbasic_idle(codeTxt)
    Hi Stan,

Presuming you meant put it in the error handler, it made no difference--same exact behavior.

Raymond Lyons

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

Just a thought, I don't have much experience with errors.
    There can be only one.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Mathews View Post
    Just a thought, I don't have much experience with errors.
    Good one Stan!!!! Probably right too, compared to the likes of me and a whole lot of others.

Raymond Lyons

Real Name
    Stan Mathews

chetongueek, naturally.

Another thought.

Have the autoexec script include

on_database_exit(":a5.close()")

May not be any better.

Note: I copied and pasted from your post but it is :A5.Close(), not :A5_Close().
    Last edited by Stan Mathews; 02-27-2015 at 10:49 PM.
    There can be only one.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Yes, I typed :A5_close() in my message above but it was :A5.Close() in the autoexec, so that had nothing to do with the problem.

I tried on_database_exit(":a5.close()") but at least as part of the error_handler it cured nothing.

I am not going to worry about this any longer, mainly because I do very little development anymore.

Real Name
    Robin

I gotta ask an obvious question... Do you have a hotspot or hot key combo that would expose the CP?
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Did you hide it like this??

hidecontrolpanel.png
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

Hi Dave
    Yes, as well as in the autoexec

but the salient aspect of this is that you cannot trap this with an error handler
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I have had the issue a couple times. I can't remember what corrected it, but it seems it was a pathing issue in my case. Old Body, Bad memory.
    This is all I have in autoexec for the control panel.
    a5.Maximize() 'maximize the whole thing
    controlpanel.Maximize() 'max the control panel even though it is hidden, it makes the forms start as maxed.

It seems there was another thread in here of similar nature where it was worked out to not have cp hid both ways?
    Last edited by DaveM; 02-28-2015 at 12:59 PM.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

VAR
    Real Name
    Martin W. Cole

In the runtime I maximize and then hide
    I use full screen apps
    972 524 8714
    martin_w_cole@msn.com

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Martin,
    I am saying that I do not hide in the autoexec at all. Have you tried that. I remember it being discussed that could cause a similar issue to what you have. I just can't find that post right now.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by martinwcole View Post
    Hi Dave
    Yes, as well as in the autoexec

but the salient aspect of this is that you cannot trap this with an error handler
    As I wrote in an above post to this, in some situations I can trap my type of error (probably very different from what Martin has dealt with, thus my experience is an apple to his orange) and :A5.Close() keeps the CP from being dumped into. In other start up situations, no, or at the very least the start up form opens (when set to open in database properties) when I would not want it to, i.e., I would not want the app running given the error state. And yes, I do use a hidden hotspot to access the CP. And no, it does not seem to matter how I hide the CP. Finally, yes, maybe I should not open the start form via database properties (that might prevent the start form from opening--if the error trap worked!).

Bottom line: I think Martin is basically correct: There seems to be no foolproof way to trap certain things in an error handler (at least in an autoexec), and when the trap fails either the CP or the opening form may be shown, either of which may be very undesirable.

Raymond Lyons