Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

errors drop users to control panel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

errors drop users to control panel

On runtime - shadow, users are periodically dropped into the control panel. Although it is hidden in autoexec, still shows everything
    anyone had that experience?
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Re: errors drop users to control panel

I've not normally seen this.

Is this random or at a certain point - form, browse, process?
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
    "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

It seems random - have asked the operators to tell me where they were and what they did just before - but so far nothing specific

Also, even though I hide the control panel in the autoexec, it drops them to a completely visible control panel - they use task manager to close Alpha
      972 524 8714
      [email protected]

Comment

Gotta love random.....
        Al Buchholz
        Bookwood Systems, LTD
        Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
        Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
        Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
        When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
        "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
        Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Martin,

As a safety, put controlpanel.hide() in the OnActivate event of one or more critical forms. But you knew that.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Well ..... I have a "Master Menu" that never closes, and has a timer set to run every 60 seconds - I put in the timer event controlpanel.hide() - this, hopefully at least, will prevent the users from getting into trouble.

I think I have the problem figured out, but don't know where it is coming from - since they cannot close Alpha (except via the task manager,) the "Master Menu" is still open (you have to say this.code.canexit="" to close it.)

Hopefully I will figure it out.
            972 524 8714
            [email protected]

Comment

Martin, we'll be following this with interest. Let us know what you discover. Good luck!

Comment

I don't have v12 but going back to v10.5 (as well as v11) I have seen it happen. No idea how it happens, except that I would guess the error somehow occurs before one gets to the autoexec. Fortunately it is rare, and the last time I personally saw it happen was quite some time ago. Unfortunately I don't remember the nature of the error that triggered it.

Ray Lyons

Comment

I use Peter's method that hides the control panel onactivate and zorders the form to the.bottom without having to have the timer running. The only thing I use the timer for is to make sure the main form fills the window when it is the only form shown. Then the timer is turned off when another form is called. It works well.
                  Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

I guess I should clarify (to the extent I can!). I am pretty sure (!) the only time I have witnessed this happening was before any form was loaded. Thus the error occurred either in the autoexec or before it. Also, I am sure that whatever triggered the problem was something random, not something that always happened and needed a fix to go away--and it has to be very rare. Again, for me it was in v10.5 and/or v11. I don't have v12 and probably never will, but that's a completely different story.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Originally posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
                      I guess I should clarify (to the extent I can!). I am pretty sure (!) the only time I have witnessed this happening was before any form was loaded. Thus the error occurred either in the autoexec or before it. Also, I am sure that whatever triggered the problem was something random, not something that always happened and needed a fix to go away--and it has to be very rare. Again, for me it was in v10.5 and/or v11. I don't have v12 and probably never will, but that's a completely different story.

Raymond Lyons
                      Okay, I ran into one version of this, but it is different from what Martin was wondering about. The case I ran into was not really random at all, in that it would happen every time the shadow DB was opened on certain machines. What happened was that somehow a date field in a parameters table got changed to a 2 digit numerical. The autoexec does a lookup of that field, expecting it to be a date field. The mismatch caused an error, and clicking OK on the error message dumped the user into the A5 Control Panel (yes, I know, bad error trapping on my part!). How did the date field get changed to numeric? Good question. I am not sure but one possibility is that it happened when I was adding a field to the table on the server and somehow inadvertently messed up the date field without noticing it. But that does not make much sense, because this did not happen on all users shadows, just 2 at most. Also the tables get zipped, copy/pasted and unzipped a lot, so something could have happened there, and maybe only on some computers. I don't know, but all is working properly now, except I still need to look at better error handling.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

you cannot trap this kind of error - it goes to the panel without giving an error
                        972 524 8714
                        [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by martinwcole View Post
                          you cannot trap this kind of error - it goes to the panel without giving an error
                          Martin, you are far more of an expert than I am, but I thought, well, why couldn't one just put A5_Close() at the end of the error handler? So I experimented and recreated the error situation, with a simple error trap that included :A5_Close(), thinking that would keep the control panel from opening by closing down A5. The results were interesting and disconcerting: When I first did it and tested (using both V10.5 and V11) I would get the same error message in my error handler that A5 had given me without the error handler, and then :A5_Close() indeed closed everything down instead of going to the Control Panel, just as I wanted. But then mysteriously a few tests later (with no changes whatsoever to the application) no error occurred at all and the opening form opened with a number in the date field that was supposed to trigger the error!! Then I discovered that the latter occurred only if I opened the DB via a desktop shortcut to the ADB file. But I would get the error if I used "Recent Databases" or "Select A Database" and :A5_Close() worked as expected. To make matters worse, most of the application's users open the ADB via a command line from another program. I'm not sure what happens in that case, but I suspect it would be the same as with a desktop shortcut to the ADB file.

As I don't have V12, I don't know if that would make any difference. But this is disturbing, and as someone said privately, bad behavior on A5's part. I don't ever want a user dumped into the Control Panel.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

What happens if you try it as

codeTxt = <<%code%
                            :A5_Close()
                            %code%
                            on_xbasic_idle(codeTxt)
                            There can be only one.

Comment

Originally posted by Stan Mathews View Post
                              What happens if you try it as

codeTxt = <<%code%
                              :A5_Close()
                              %code%
                              on_xbasic_idle(codeTxt)
                              Hi Stan,

Presuming you meant put it in the error handler, it made no difference--same exact behavior.

Raymond Lyons

Comment

Working...
                              X