Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

HUGE security problem in A5 web security :shocked:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HUGE security problem in A5 web security

OK so your SQL database/table is not encrypted & simply stores the encrypted string Alpha generated as "plain text". What's the fuzz ?
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by GGandhi View Post
      it does here. as I said you need the key first, guessing 64 character key is rather difficult, I hope.
      The point is that if you have a table with a lot of passwords and a lot of them are repeated, you could predict that it is one of the most common passwords like "1234", "Password1" etc. From this point you could calculate the key and from that point you have all passwords in the table..

If someone gets access to your tables you are in big trouble anyway, but it is your own problem. If someone steals your user's details your problem is not only on your hacked server, you might have several other people running after you as well (including your clients if you develop apps for other companies).
      As I understand it this would NOT be a security problem for hacking your alpha anywhere aaplication, but a multiplied headache if/when someone does. Servers are getting hacked every day, it is normally not that hard if someone decides to do it (which probably is a very small risk).

The main thing is that this is a risk I can't take, and I think I should not have to take when there are other methods out there.

Comment

Ok, I tried it on another db and it did decrypt there - what the fuzz?
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by eskimoavenue View Post
          The main thing is that this is a risk I can't take, and I think I should not have to take when there are other methods out there.
          I don't disagree. Alpha needs to takes this seriously and address this issue. You should email them with your findings.
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

By the way, you can try this to see if you get the password in clear text, it seems like we have different results from different people.

?a5_decrypt_string("YOUR ENCRYPTED PASSWORD GOES HERE","YOUR KEY GOES HERE")

According to Alpha they use salted passwords so there might just be something wrong with my site, but if the function above works the passwords is not salted (as far as I understand it) as salted passwords can not be retrieved even if you have the key. That is why on some sites you get a new password sent to you if you forget it, they simply can't retrieve the original one.

Comment

I forgot to mention I test on A5v11 3788-4187. Where did you see mention of salted passwords?
              Andrew

Comment

Originally posted by aschone View Post
                I forgot to mention I test on A5v11 3788-4187. Where did you see mention of salted passwords?
                I am using V12.3 build 2614

Salted passwords was mentioned in separate email from alpha, will keep you posted, I am still a bit worried that all I say here is just an over reaction of something I don't fully understand...

Comment

I went back to my 1st db, added a new user through the web security dialog on the desktop. It added the user and encrypted the pwd to the sql table.

Ran the decrypt function and it will not decrypt.

So why can I decrypt on one, but not the other? Something doesn't add up?
                  Peter
                  AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]

Comment

For reasons that should be obvious, we will not post details concerning the internal design of the web security system. If you select to allow the system to build an encryption key for a new project, it will create a 12 character key, which is what we recommend.

If you think you have found a flaw, please communicate with us privately and we will examine the issue and make any suggestions.

We will be happy to work with anyone who has a security concern.

Comment

I created a new user, assigned a password, copied the encrypted password from the SQL table, and feed it into a5_decrypt_string() along with the encryption key stored in the Security settings.

Yes, it successfully decrypted the password for me.
                      I'm curious. How did you imagine an outside force is getting access to that sql table? I understand that YOU can open it and cut and paste, but how would an attacker?

Comment

Originally posted by Clint2 View Post
                        I'm curious. How did you imagine an outside force is getting access to that sql table? I understand that YOU can open it and cut and paste, but how would an attacker?
                        If I may answer your question with another question. If there is no concern of an attacker getting access to that SQL table/data why encrypt the password to begin with?
                        Andrew

Comment

If I may answer your question with another question. If there is no concern of an attacker getting access to that SQL table/data why encrypt the password to begin with?
                          Despite your reluctance to answer my question, I'll be a sport and answer yours. If you can't protect via firewall, server passwords, locked doors, trustworthy employees, etc., access to your sql data, it's time to unplug your LAN cable and bone up on telepathy.

But wait, there's more.

Decrypting a password with knowledge of the key! concerns you. We'll ignore who gave them the key for now. Why not add two factor authentication via sms to the pre-confirmed user's cell phone (just like Google does). Then, having your password known becomes significantly less useful. You do use two factor authentication in your own email, right?

Comment

Not sure why you decided to attack me. A concern was posted and I tested said concern and relayed my findings. I was not aware that doing so would result in such a negative response.

Looking at the entities who have had their data compromised and published to on the internet I believe that they have utilized all of these safeguards that you are advocating. Yet their data was still compromised.

This discussion was revolving around Alpha5 securing the password using a reversible encryption method instead of a one way hash with a salt. If you wish to contribute to this then by all means please do.
                            Andrew

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. If there's an issue with security then letting Alpha know about it quietly should have been the only course... not blabbing it here. It was irresponsible to do so and only hurts the Alpha community.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                                I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread. If there's an issue with security then letting Alpha know about it quietly should have been the only course... not blabbing it here. It was irresponsible to do so and only hurts the Alpha community.
                                fully agree

Comment

Working...
                                X