Alpha Video Training

Thread: Geo Location Doesn't Work with Remote Test

Real Name
    Peter Costantino

Default Geo Location Doesn't Work with Remote Test

I am having trouble getting a simple application to work with recording the geographic location using remote test. I've attached the entire project to this posting for whomever can help solve this problem. I am essentially trying to record the geo location of a user and then mapping the geo location on a map. The application works when I run it in a browser (IE, Firefox or Chrome) in live preview. It does not work, that is it doesn't record the latitude and longitude when I create a QR code and run it off of a MiFi portable wireless or a cellphone with a hotspot. I have ensured that both the laptop that generates the QRcode and the mobile device (iPad, Samsung tablet or iPhone) with the app are both on the same WiFi network.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I missing something?

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

peter
    Attached Files Attached Files

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Geo Location Doesn't Work with Remote Test

This works as a remote test using my iPhone... which is connected to my WiFi network... so your Thread title needs to be qualified.

I can't test with MiFI 'cause I don't have that. But, I turned on my iPhone Personal Hotspot, had lots of connectivity with my phone, and joined my phone hotspot with my iPad. The connection was there but I couldn't do anything... Safari wouldn't browse to a any site, and getting lat/long and mapping wouldn't work... but I don't believe that an Alpha issue... since I couldn't even use Safari.

Once connected to your iPhone hotspot or your MiFi, can you use the browser in that device?

Real Name
    Frank Zwolinski

When I do a remote test using my QR Code Reader (Scan, Inc.) on my Samsung Galaxy 4, there is a setting that opens the UX either in the QR Code Readers internal browser app or the default browser of the device which in my case is Chrome. The QR Code readers internal browser app does not return the location coordinates. When I set the QR Code Reader to not use the internal browser application, it opens automatically in Chrome and all works as expected. If I choose to use the internal browser app, there is an icon that opens the app in Chrome. Check the settings of your QR Code Reader. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Peter Costantino

OK, the geo locations lat/long are now being recorded using the mobile app Scan by Scan, Inc.

However, the synchronization doesn't work, so the lat/long coordinates aren't being written to the server. I purchased the full mobile app which gives me the option to choose either the internal Scan browser or the iPhone's Safari browser. Switching it to the Safari browser makes no difference for synchronizing.

Peter