Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Can't use Alpha on one of my office computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't use Alpha on one of my office computers

Does anyone know of a reason why an Alpha web browser app wouldn't work? Here is the situation. All of our office computers are Wndows 7 pro 64 bit machines. So far I am able to login and use Alpha on all machines I've tried except for one.

This particular computer will display the Alpha login.a5w page. It will then let me login and it starts to load the /index.a5w page and suddenly kicks back to the login page. I thought it was an Alpha web security user issue I overlooked for the particular user, but it does this with any user I have tried. If I use the computer at the next workstation, everything works fine for any user I try. I have used the latest versions of internet explorer, Firefox, and chrome, all with no success. I have no idea what it could be. I updated the computers javascript to the latest release. Still not working. I thought maybe it was a browser setting, but on all 3 browsers seems unlikely.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    -Joe G.
    Alpha Anywhere V12.4.1 Build 3594-4665
    Application Server V12.4.1 Build 3594-4665 Running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 4GB Ram X3430 @ 2.40GHz
    MySQL 5.5.38

Re: Can't use Alpha on one of my office computers

First, let me point out I have built just a few small web apps in Alpha. No expert, by any measure.

That said, it sounds like you have eliminated the browsers, and Alpha, from being at fault.

Below the browser level are the Windows Sockets, where there may be some level of corruption - perhaps from malware.

Just for kicks and giggles, you might try this fix to reset your Winsock (It should not affect your computer in any negative way, but as always, this action is at your own risk):

1) Run an elevated (as administrator) command prompt.

2) Type what is on the line below, and press enter:

netsh winsock reset

Let us know if that helped. It will require a restart.

Comment

Joe,

Maybe a long shot but you could try flushing your dns resolver cache: from command prompt type ipconfig /flushdns

Stephen
      Alpha Anywhere v12.4.6.5.2 Build 8867-5691 IIS v10.0 on Windows Server 2019 Std in Hyper-V

Comment

I updated the computers javascript to the latest release.
        You mean JAVA ? That is not used by Alpha, Javascript is built into your browser.

Try disabling any kind of "internet security" program , disable your firewall, check out your hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
        Try installing Opera; maybe your other browsers got some toolbar malware that interfers.
        Install Virtualbox on that machine & create a virtual W7 machine using bridged network adapter & see if inside from that machine you can use the app
        Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by joegrun4 View Post
          Does anyone know of a reason why an Alpha web browser app wouldn't work? Here is the situation. All of our office computers are Wndows 7 pro 64 bit machines. So far I am able to login and use Alpha on all machines I've tried except for one.

This particular computer will display the Alpha login.a5w page. It will then let me login and it starts to load the /index.a5w page and suddenly kicks back to the login page. I thought it was an Alpha web security user issue I overlooked for the particular user, but it does this with any user I have tried. If I use the computer at the next workstation, everything works fine for any user I try. I have used the latest versions of internet explorer, Firefox, and chrome, all with no success. I have no idea what it could be. I updated the computers javascript to the latest release. Still not working. I thought maybe it was a browser setting, but on all 3 browsers seems unlikely.

Any ideas?

Thanks
          -Joe G.
          Did you check your HOSTS file (assuming you use any).
          C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (folder)

HOSTS (no extension)

I'm currently self hosting, I have to trick DNS (via HOSTS) otherwise I can't reach the server for computers that are on the SAME network as the on prem Alpha Server, via the URL.

Comment

Joe,

In Chrome or Firefox, you could use the inspection tool to monitor network traffic as the page loads. To do this:
            • On the problem PC, open a new Chrome or Firefox browser window.
            • Right-click anywhere on the web page and choose "Inspect Element" from the pop up menu.
            • The web browser will open a debugging window on the bottom half of the browser window.
            • Click on the "Network" tab in the debug window.
            • Then in the upper half of the browser, navigate to the A5 webpage causing the problem.

screen.png

Hopefully, the "Network" monitor tab (and perhaps the "Console" tab) will indicate where the page load is failing.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Clint2 View Post
              Did you check your HOSTS file (assuming you use any).
              C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc (folder)

HOSTS (no extension)

I'm currently self hosting, I have to trick DNS (via HOSTS) otherwise I can't reach the server for computers that are on the SAME network as the on prem Alpha Server, via the URL.
              Clint, I am also self-hosting. I am a little unsure of the method for "tricking DNS". I have tried accessing it by the url (csgops.com which forwards back to my public ip address), and by the local ip address (192.168.2.242) of the machince running Alpha Application Server. I figured accessing it by its local ip address would eliminate any DNS issues.

Seems to work using csgops.com or 192.168.2.242 from all other machines and tablets connected to the same lan as Alpha Application Server.
              Application Server V12.4.1 Build 3594-4665 Running on Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard 4GB Ram X3430 @ 2.40GHz
              MySQL 5.5.38

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
                You mean JAVA ? That is not used by Alpha, Javascript is built into your browser.

Try disabling any kind of "internet security" program , disable your firewall, check out your hosts file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc
                Try installing Opera; maybe your other browsers got some toolbar malware that interfers.
                Install Virtualbox on that machine & create a virtual W7 machine using bridged network adapter & see if inside from that machine you can use the app
                Yes, I meant JAVA.
                MySQL 5.5.38

Comment

Clint, I am also self-hosting. I am a little unsure of the method for "tricking DNS". I have tried accessing it by the url (csgops.com which forwards back to my public ip address), and by the local ip address (192.168.2.242) of the machince running Alpha Application Server. I figured accessing it by its local ip address would eliminate any DNS issues.

Seems to work using csgops.com or 192.168.2.242 from all other machines and tablets connected to the same lan as Alpha Application Server.
                  Here's how you do it:
                  1. Drag HOSTS file from C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc to desktop
                  2. Open it with NOTEPAD
                  3. Add a line that has the IP of the LOCAL server and the URL used by the world
                  4. 192.168.2.242 csgops.com (just that, the local IP, a space, and the url) DO NOT start that line with a #
                  5. Close and save HOSTS file
                  6. Drag HOSTS file back to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder (no reboot required)

NOTE: This type of change to the HOSTS file will ONLY work if placed on a computer on the same network as the Alpha Server.

Comment

Originally posted by CraigSchumacker View Post
                    First, let me point out I have built just a few small web apps in Alpha. No expert, by any measure.

That said, it sounds like you have eliminated the browsers, and Alpha, from being at fault.

Below the browser level are the Windows Sockets, where there may be some level of corruption - perhaps from malware.

Just for kicks and giggles, you might try this fix to reset your Winsock (It should not affect your computer in any negative way, but as always, this action is at your own risk):

1) Run an elevated (as administrator) command prompt.

2) Type what is on the line below, and press enter:

netsh winsock reset

Let us know if that helped. It will require a restart.

winsock reset / reboot did not work
                    MySQL 5.5.38

Comment

Originally posted by Clint2 View Post
                      Here's how you do it:
                      1. Drag HOSTS file from C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc to desktop
                      2. Open it with NOTEPAD
                      3. Add a line that has the IP of the LOCAL server and the URL used by the world
                      4. 192.168.2.242 csgops.com (just that, the local IP, a space, and the url) DO NOT start that line with a #
                      5. Close and save HOSTS file
                      6. Drag HOSTS file back to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc folder (no reboot required)

NOTE: This type of change to the HOSTS file will ONLY work if placed on a computer on the same network as the Alpha Server.
                      Ah, I have done this before. Is there a way to do this on the domain level so all computers on the lan follow the rule? I would have to set this in each computer.
                      MySQL 5.5.38

Comment

If you are running a domain you should also have an internal DNS server. Create an A record to will resolve the hostname to the internal IP.
                        Andrew

Comment

I would have to set this in each computer.
                          Yes you would have to do it on each computer BUT, only ONE computer is complaining so you don't have to worry about the other working computers.

Just that one.

Comment

Did you enable logging on the WAS and view the error log and other logs to see if any errors are being captured?

Comment

Working...
                            X