Alpha Video Training

Thread: Screen Resolution: what, Where, Why and How

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Default Screen Resolution: what, Where, Why and How

I searched this subject and found a few interesting posts but none discussed my issue so perhaps this is a time for a good discussion. My issue is: I have a dell 13.3" Inspiron 13 7000 laptop.I didn't set out to purchase this unit but kinda stumbled across it. Glad I did. I really like it, a lot! The top screen resolution is 1920x1080. speaking of resolution, that is my issue with AA. I expected things to be smaller, and they are. However, sometimes, even with the Font size set to 'Largest' and changing the text box size to 11 or 12 doesn't seem to make much difference. Yes, I know it will still be smaller than on a desktop screen but sometimes, after closing AA and reopening the fonts on the grid and text boxes became smaller.

I discovered that sometimes the issue is the style itself. The font sizes for style to style vary so it limits what style one can use. No doubt, I the fonts are too small, I could use the style I like to create a new style, which, in my opinion, would be the preferred option.

OK, this is where you come in. I would like to learn what you have done, as a developer, to over come screen resolution issues. Specifically, what resolution is best to develop with so that it will be visually pleasing on 3 year old desktop monitors as well as new desktop monitors and laptops, including those with touch screens. On a larger desktop and laptop screen, I believe the touch will, if not eliminate, nearly replace the mouse and offer smoother and quicker data entry.

Why do I bring this up? Simple, my customer will be buying at least 1 new laptop along with a new desktop to be used as a server. In a year or 2, I expect they will expand their horizons to include tablets for their field staff. The customer also wants to take home a laptop and utilise the app from home. I'd hate for the customer to purchase any device and then have to redo the app because of a resolution issue.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestion is very much appreciated. No doubt others will be 'enlightened' as well.
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

"Certified" Alphaholic TheSmitchell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah

Default Re: Screen Resolution: what, Where, Why and How

Quote Originally Posted by forskare View Post
    OK, this is where you come in. I would like to learn what you have done, as a developer, to over come screen resolution issues. Specifically, what resolution is best to develop with so that it will be visually pleasing on 3 year old desktop monitors as well as new desktop monitors and laptops, including those with touch screens. On a larger desktop and laptop screen, I believe the touch will, if not eliminate, nearly replace the mouse and offer smoother and quicker data entry.
    I'm guessing you mean what resolution is targeted for development of applications and not what resolution I *personally* use to develop software (max resolution with font at a reasonably readable size.)

I target the size my customers are using. Maybe I've lucked out. Everyone in "The Office" has giant monitors. At least 1920 x 1080. So, that's the real estate I can play with for the back-end work tools. On the front-end for everyone else, the site is capped at 1024px wide. In looking at the company site on both a mobile & desktop computer, I've not noticed any problems with this. The mobile web browser scales the website & fonts so it fits and is readable. And there are scaling tools in the browser (zoom in, zoom out.) They work pretty good for sites where someone has insisted on using 8pt font. They'll scale the web page up or down in size.

The trend has been higher resolution, larger screens. Excepting the tablet & mobile market --- which, the trend there *IS* larger screens, higher resolution, just not as big. 3 years ago, 1024x720 was probably the bottom line. Go back further, and it's 800x600.

The best you can do is build a dynamic (responsive/flexible) layout: something that will utilize extra space if it's there but fall back to a reasonable layout if it's not. This includes specifying layout & fonts using a resizeable/dynamic unit like percents or ems. And maybe check that your project can be scaled with browser zoom tools and not become a total, unusable mess. It's not just monitors that are a factor. You may have clients with vision impairments.
    Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release

Real Name
    Kenneth

In monitors bigger means smaller. Here is some info of screen resolutions used 2015.
    I personally have moved from 1920 * 1080 monitor to 1366 * 768 monitor because smaller is bigger in this case.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

I feel I have worked around this by including several ways (buttons) to allow the user to choose what suits them. In a static website where things do not change it is easy to use responsive layout and redirects to recognised screen widths and devices - however in a data driven application care must be taken to limit the amount of data that "fits" in to the space defined for it OR you can build a seperate UI for the smaller device. I have found that it is quite time consuming to create a responsive layout for all scenarios so instead I broke it up into two categories - desktop and mobile. I have found that mobile users do not require as much information, often it is much more of a "need to know" basis, and "need to enter".
    Also by creating two unique experiences I can mentally separate what I am trying to accomplish when developing the app and do not need to worry about how this or that layout might affect the other. I think this allows me to be more creative as well.
    I like the KISS approach, always have...hope this helps!
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

"Certified" Alphaholic forskare's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ken Nordin

Thanks to all for the insightful replies.
    TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.