Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha five v10.5 and windows 10

Real Name
    Garry Skelton

Default Alpha five v10.5 and windows 10

Anyone have a clue has to whether or not alpha 5 v10.5 will work on windows 10 or have the same problem it had with window 8?

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Default Re: Alpha five v10.5 and windows 10

Windows 10 is currently scheduled for launch on July 29, 2015, so not likely anyone has had a chance to find out yet.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    Garry Skelton

I contacted Selwyn Rabins and he said Alpha Five V10 wouldn't work with windows 10. I would need to get Alpha Anywhere. So free upgrade to windows 10 is going to cost at least $300 if I continue using Alpha Five.

To: Garry Skelton <gskelton@yahoo.com>
    Sent: Monday, June 1, 2015 3:53 PM
    Subject: Re: windows 10 and alpha five

version 10 will not work on windows 10.

your options would be to updgrade your copy of alpha to V12 (now called alpha anywhere) or not upgrade windows

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

They said the same thing regarding Windows 8 and v10 and for the most part they were just pushing for upgrade sales (for v10 use windows compatibility settings and run as admin, etc) . So, v10 will probably work with win10 too. If it does, that does not mean you should not upgrade--it all depends on what you or your users are doing and whether you run into bugs you may want fixed (but when was the last time they fixed a bug that only applied to desktop users? Virtually ALL emphasis now is on web and mobile, as near as I can tell).

Raymond Lyons

Real Name
    Dave Mason

Expanding on what Ray said
    When win8 first came out alpha 10.5 and 11 would not work on it. After a couple updates and such, I can runv v7 - v12 with no problems. Windows always tightens it up and then loosens their requirements so it become livable.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

Real Name
    James Miles

Quote Originally Posted by gskelton View Post
    Anyone have a clue has to whether or not alpha 5 v10.5 will work on windows 10 or have the same problem it had with window 8?
    Gary,
    I've been running (off/on) V10.5 & V11 on the latest release of the technical preview for a couple months now. Worked off/on (mostly on) with various releases but the most current seems "O.K." in the right compat mode. I say this with reservations as I've run V10.5 in a sandbox and V11 in both.

Real Name
    Maurice Reznik

I have had similar problems using Alpha Five V11 on Windows 8.1. Form/Report View Toolbars do not activate. It also gets more complicate on 64bit hardware.

To: Selwyn Rabins <selwyn@alphasoftware.com>
    Sent: Tuesday, June 3,2015 04:33 PM

upgrades are an expensive solution for customers who are still using Windows 7 Prof which still has a life class for at least a few more years.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by mlreznik View Post
    I have had similar problems using Alpha Five V11 on Windows 8.1. Form/Report View Toolbars do not activate. It also gets more complicate on 64bit hardware.....
    They activate for me (V11 and Windows 8.1 on a 64 bit machine). Could it be that you do not realize that toolbars have to be created/customized in each Alpha version you are running? I.e., one created in V10 won't work in V11--you need to create it in v11 also.

Raymond Lyons

Real Name
    Maurice Reznik

Thanks for your reply. I had redeveloped my application in V11 and Windows 8.1 on a 32bit computer. The problem arises on 64bit systems. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Maurice Reznik

Real Name
    Dave Mason

I am on win8.1 64bit
    running v11, 10.5 and 12 and have not seen what you have described in any of them.
    Dave Mason
    dave@aldausa.com
    Skype is dave.mason46

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by mlreznik View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I had redeveloped my application in V11 and Windows 8.1 on a 32bit computer. The problem arises on 64bit systems. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Maurice Reznik
    Have you edited the default view toolbars? If so, that could be your problem. You might need to create a new custom toolbar rather than changing the default toolbars.

Other than that I have no idea what the problem could be.

Raymond Lyons

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Raymond Lyons

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Lyons View Post
    Have you edited the default view toolbars? If so, that could be your problem. You might need to create a new custom toolbar rather than changing the default toolbars.

Other than that I have no idea what the problem could be.

Raymond Lyons
    I think I should clarify this a bit: I could be wrong, but for example if you "customize" the standard A5 "System" Form View toolbar, the changes to the system toolbar are stored in the machine's User's folder (probably under All Users). Thus if you put your app on a different machine, I believe on that machine your customized system toolbar won't be there, i.e., it will just have the standard uncustomized system toolbar. On the other hand if instead you create a NEW toolbar and select it for use on your form, your new toolbar will be stored with your applications files and will transfer to any machine you put your application on.

At least that's how I think it works! Once again, if this has nothing to do with the problem you are having, I have no idea what the problem might be.

Raymond Lyons

Real Name
    Maurice Reznik

Thanks for your input. I have tried every thing, to no avail. As an old hand on supporting systems I now will revert to installing a fresh copy of the operating system. Then installing both the Alpha V11 Developer & Runtime programs on the same system. I can then use Alpha v7 developer package to checkout the package then run the runtime package. If ever thing works I will then remove the developer package.
    This may seam long winded but I have done this many times before on other programs that have compatibility problems.

Thanks for your support. I will keep you posted

M L Reznik

"Certified" Alphaholic Ronald Anusiewicz's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ronald Anusiewicz

I installed version 10.5 on a windows 8 machine and had some issues. The first thing I did was to run 10.5 using windows 7 compatibility mode and all issues went away. This would be my first choice if windows 10 causes a problems.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Michael Humby

We get calls from our V10 users every day after they have upgraded to Win 10, the upgrade switches their PCs to English US and messes up the dates in our system, it also breaks Adobe Reader and the Amyuni PDf printer. The V10 engine will then only run if set to compatible Win 7 and then run the first time as Administrator. If we load a V11 engine then this resolves these issues, no way can our users continue with our systems without further support from us. Extra work we could do without.

Michael

Real Name
    Charly Smith

Yes, Alpha five v10 will work in windows 10. You can re-install alpha on windows 10. After installation you need to find the "a5.exe" file then right click and select properties from here select the compatibility mode and select win 7, that is it. If you decide to install the program on a new computer system you must name the computer the same as the original computer, you can then use your original registration code. Note: the registration code is based on the computer's name.

Hope this helps

"Certified" Alphaholic Ted Giles's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ted Giles

Welcome aboard Charly.
    The original post was 4 years old, however, thank you for posting clarification.
    A number of us also install Alph outside of the Programs folder as that has been know to cause issues.
    Ted Giles
    Example Consulting - UK

http://ec12.example-software.com//
    See our site for Alpha Support, Conversion and Upgrade.