Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

How would I get a table/grid to look like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How would I get a table/grid to look like this?

Hi There,

Thank you for taking the time to look. Much appreciated.

We have a grid that we want to display who has what. See attached image. The prorposed table structure is also in picture.

gridappearance.png

Why this is different than a standard is because I want the column names to not be the table fields, but the data in the fields.

I'm not even sure how to start this. Any suggestions on video tutorials I could watch? I've watched many alpha videos in the past and know all the resources, such as wiki, video tuts, reference guide so I am actively looking but still haven't found clues how to start it.

Thank you for your suggestions

Jane

Re: How would I get a table/grid to look like this?

Without wrapping.my head around it all why not make a table based on what you want and then create a UX that has fields that reference the other tables?
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

The table is based on multi user tenancy which means based on the user, they may have different names and objects. This means I can't develop a table exactly on what is required but the users and objects will be dependent on our customers.

Comment

What you are looking for is basically a cross-tabulation, and your back end database (dbf or sql) will determine how it needs to be done.
        Jay
        Jay Talbott
        Lexington, KY

Comment

I KNOW that this possible, multi-tenancy or not as I run a multi-tenant app and do this same thing all the time on lets say for instance an invoice. Each tenant can have customers with orders and payments. I do not know what the item will be called, or the payment description etc.

Think of it in terms of a repeating section, session variables will be able to assign ownership to the tenant and or customer as well as the user (if the tenant has more than one type of user: secretary/technician/manager, etc.

If you want the tenant to create their own objects, create a table for it. Let them create all they want and then use that as a lookup for the form. This is similar to what I do for products. They can all have different products, prices etc. then on an invoice they add what ever products they want based on their very own product library, and I even created a BASE library, so when they are actually creating items they can select from thousands of everyday line items as their own if they want. So if you look at the structure and not the names of the tables or the fields, the structure is really what you appear to be doing.

Each tenant has an object, maybe several with certain features of the object. This could mean that they can enter stuff into an object table, a features table, and in each table each objects row records the id of the tenant and the user and maybe even a customers order number.

You can have an objects table, that is a one to many - where each object is not only assigned a pk but also the pk_id of the user and the pk_id of any other table.
          so I am sticking with my original advice - this can easily be accomplished with an additional table without database rules (cascading,etc) since the UX can display a list (which a list would be perfect for this) and then you can easily edit it in a detail view. Lists are an outstanding addition to Alpha and would work really really well for what you are trying to accomplish.

I hope this helps. If you have a multi-tenant app already in production you may already know everything I am saying so I hope I am not offending you by not understanding what your needs truly are but I really do think that this can work as I said I do this myself in a SAAS app I built over the last coupe years with alpha.
          NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

It might also help ( me anyways) if you labeled the grids field with the actual database field names. I would also avoid using the same field names in tables as that just serves to confuse later.
            For instance, if your creating an objects table call the fields
            object_id
            object_name
            object_desc

And then if you create a Users_Objects table call the fields
            users_obj_id
            users_obj_name
            users_obj_desc

and not use the same name such as "description"
            unless it's always going to hold the same value for the tenant, like "user_id"
            but even then I often assign the table prefix anyways.

that way you can very quickly know whats going on, and for instance in in the image you supplied I cannot know what field belongs to what table. At least from an outsiders viewpoint I am just not sure - which is why I said "without trying to wrap my head around..."

so anyways, as I said I hope this helps.

Comment

Hi Jane,

Do you use SQL database? With a simple sql statement I can get it to work and create a view out of these 3 tables...

Regards,

Doron
              The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Main Web Site: http://www.dFarber.com
              MS SQL Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
              Convert Ms Access to Web
              Custom Software Development
              Alpha Five Development
              No Interest Loans Application
              MS SQL Remote DBA

Comment

Originally posted by Jay Talbott View Post
                What you are looking for is basically a cross-tabulation, and your back end database (dbf or sql) will determine how it needs to be done.
                Jay
                Let me add the link to the wiki for that..

http://wiki.alphasoftware.com/~alpha...tab+Operations
                Al Buchholz
                Bookwood Systems, LTD
                Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Hi Charles - thank you for taking the time to look. I appreciate it.

Yeah, I've looked at the repeating section as a solution but the main trouble I'm having is that I'm not sure what the column titles are until I read them from the database.
                  Normally, in a repeating section it would look like this

Table.Field1Name, Table.Field2Name
                  Value, Value

Or in the instance of a invoice it would be
                  Product (Table.Field1Name), Qty (Table.Field2Name)
                  Toothpaste (Value), 1000 (Value)

What I'm wanting to do is slightly different because I want to read the column titles from a database.Table.Value and not a database.Table.Field1Name

The only way i can see doing this with a repeating section is having two repeating sections together.
                  First 1 would read the value sfrom the table and it would have css to make it look like headings
                  The second 2 would then read the associated values .

Thank you again for having a look. I'll look into repeating sections more.

Cheers

Jane.

Comment

You can position the fields and values in a report in any position you want and of course the report will be generated after you would know the values - maybe thats what your really after!
                    Reports can be put in divs, windows, etc. and can be very flexible.

Comment

Hi doron. Thank you for looking and sharing ur experience. That sounds like something similar to what I'm after. Any chance you could share the statement? Cheers, jane.

Comment

Cross Tab MS SQL or MySQL Sample Query

Hi Jane,

To create an SQL statement we need tables with some data.
                        If you are using MS SQL or MySQL:

See these 2 links:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...crosstab-query

http://www.paragoncorporation.com/Ar...x?ArticleID=25

Regards,

Doron
                        The Farber Consulting Group, Inc.

Main Web Site: http://www.dFarber.com
                        MS SQL Blog: http://www.dfarber.com/computer-consulting-blog.aspx
                        Convert Ms Access to Web
                        Custom Software Development
                        Alpha Five Development
                        No Interest Loans Application
                        MS SQL Remote DBA
                        Last edited by DoronF; 06-11-2015, 01:52 AM.

Comment

Thank you Doron. That's great. Much appreciated.

Comment

Yes thanks, this helped me to understand and learn a few things. My approach is based on the fact that I do not know how to do this, in effect I was creating the cross tab view as a table itself manually, but of course this would be much harder to create when you do not know the entries. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X