Alpha Video Training

Thread: Error Saving UX component

Real Name
    Lee Taylor-Vaughan
    Hillsborough, NJ/Avondale, AZ/Sheffield, UK

Default Error Saving UX component

Hello!

I'm trying to save changes to a UX component, however, i'm getting the following error:

Script:UI_DLG_BOX:@=genericPageBuilder_title_var_162438523
    Line 2647
    flagsave = saveComponent(wp,local_variables())
    Property not found
    wp2.page_fields[] subelement not found.

Anyone have any idea how i fix this? or what this means?

Thanks
    Lee

"Certified" Alphaholic peteconway's Avatar
    Real Name
    Peter Conway

Default Re: Error Saving UX component

What build?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein, (attributed)
    US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Real Name
    Lee Taylor-Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by peteconway View Post
    What build?
    I'm using latest build of alpha anywhere.

Real Name
    Peter Conway

Official release?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Real Name
    Lee Taylor-Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by peteconway View Post
    Official release?
    yes. Official release.

"Certified" Alphaholic Clipper87's Avatar
    Real Name
    Frank

This is clearly a bug. Probably only seen if you have some specific control or a control with some specific properties set on your UX. Revert to earlier versions of your UX (right click on the component in webprojects control panel & restore backup & see when it occurs. Then try to replicate it with the simplest possible ux & if you succeed send in a bug report. It will be fixed probably by the next day if not sooner & the community will be thankful to you :-)
    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Real Name
    Lee Taylor-Vaughan

Thanks I'll work on your recommendation.

"Certified" Alphaholic TheSmitchell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah

I run into these issues quite often. Closing the app and relaunching AA usually fixes the issue. Worst case scenario, do as Frank suggests and roll back the component to a previous version. Though, that's not always a sure thing. On rare occasions I've had to rebuild components.
    Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release

Real Name
    Lee Taylor-Vaughan

I wasn't able to roll back due to a file system issue and all files had the same date/time! grr... in the end i uninstalled AA and reinstalled it. I've ran into these also from time to time and I often end up just re-creating the object.
    after reinstall of AA: It still didn't work and i couldn't find where it was erring. I'm on such a time crunch today to get this done that i just recreated to UX and thus far it's working flawlessly. I could always submit as a bug, however, the time to make an Sql back up right now is not in my time constraints for today. i have it on my list of things to do later this evening.

"Certified" Alphaholic TheSmitchell's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by leetv View Post
    I wasn't able to roll back due to a file system issue and all files had the same date/time! grr... in the end i uninstalled AA and reinstalled it. I've ran into these also from time to time and I often end up just re-creating the object.
    after reinstall of AA: It still didn't work and i couldn't find where it was erring. I'm on such a time crunch today to get this done that i just recreated to UX and thus far it's working flawlessly. I could always submit as a bug, however, the time to make an Sql back up right now is not in my time constraints for today. i have it on my list of things to do later this evening.
    Submitting a bug can be hard on these problems. If you can, send it in. But a bad file doesn't necessarily lend any clues to how it happened, so the root problem may not be found. I had a similar problem occur earlier today when I changed the "Conditional Style Level" on a control from "Cell" to "Control". Alpha bugged out and wouldn't save. After a restart of AA, I could change the style level with no issues. So it's not like you can point to that property definitively and say "X happens whenever I Y".
    Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release

Real Name
    Lee Taylor-Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by TheSmitchell View Post
    Submitting a bug can be hard on these problems. If you can, send it in. But a bad file doesn't necessarily lend any clues to how it happened, so the root problem may not be found. I had a similar problem occur earlier today when I changed the "Conditional Style Level" on a control from "Cell" to "Control". Alpha bugged out and wouldn't save. After a restart of AA, I could change the style level with no issues. So it's not like you can point to that property definitively and say "X happens whenever I Y".
    Thanks. I tried to re-create the issue by removing a few controls from my UX at a time and saving (to eliminate which control it is) and nothing seems to be helping. I just recreated. I'll still send a bug report, but I don't have much to give Alpha in the ways of recreating the bug. :(

Thanks everyone.

Lee

Real Name
    Peter Conway

Sorry I can't add any more on this.. I do in the past that if this kind thing did surface I would shut down and revert to the last working copy from the auto backups.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

It seems to me that one thing that keeps surfacing is having a hidden control as the last control in a container and or in a component. If you have any hidden fields move them up always. If you look at the release notes, and or follow pre-release versions you will see ocasional errors with this - that do get fixed ASAP. The other thing that keeps popping up are edit-combo errors. This may have nothing to do with your particular error BUT if you have either condition - a hidden field as the last control, or an edit-combo dropdown I would suggest eliminating them and test. If it is repeatable send it in as a bug otherwise it could be numerous things. When I run into an error like this on save, the first thing I do is select all objects and "copy to clipboard". Create a new UX, paste the controls and start removing them until it works. This helps find the offenders FAST.
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"