Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

A little help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little help please

Please look at this if you have the time and give a critique. It has nothing to do with alpha software except the not completed windows database is about complete using alpha.

http://www.allfaithsites.com

It is just open temporarily for your viewing. So far 163 people have already found it at random.

Tnank you in advance.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Re: A little help please

Hi Dave,

One small critique, the centre panel with the images of different heights changes it makes the all the text below move. I suggest this is kept to one size.

Apart from the mixture of fonts and all the capitalisation, looks a very interesting site, hope you do well with it.

Please have a look at this and let me have your critique.
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Dave:

These are just opinions - In the final analysis, only you can determine what is and is not right for your site.

Here are my thoughts:

1) I'd make the logo larger - much larger. It seems lost in the corner, and IMHO would be better to the left of "All Faith Website And Software".

2) I'd make the phone number and email address a much larger font (Verdana preferred), and move the phone and email address to the right side.

3) Too many CAPITALS. Too many exclamation marks. Too many variations of blue font colors. The trend is softer, lighter colors these days.

4) The word 'Get' at the front of the first few lines is, well, overused. Try beginning with words like "Easily", "Quickly", "Inexpensively", and the like. The website should be selling the software. 'You' and 'We' are over-used on the 'What You Get' page. Try separating all that into two groups - What you can do, and what we will do for you.

5) Me? I'd have the area in the middle of the home page in a table with checkmarks in the first column, and the features in the second column. I'd left align the features column. My eyes were forced to look all over the page at the features.

6) Can you smooth out the transitions between the images that fade in and out? It looks a little more like a GIF file, than java or Flash...

7) The name and email boxes are way too small.

8) Larger fonts would be easier to read. Think about dark gray rather than black fonts.

9) The pricing boxes don't really tell you what you are, or are not getting. I'd figure out a way to map that back to the 'What You Get' page using something like checkmarks for what is in each package. Give each package a distinct name. I'm guessing, since you have an add to cart button, you are hoping to get sales without a phone conversation, first.

10) The prices in those boxes are all over the place, and the 'Cents' are in different size fonts. And the prices all end in different numbers. I'd just use .99 .79, .49, or .29 for everything. I think most people expect those. I've never seen a price that ends in .17 or .96 before. Place the price in the same location in each box.

11) "GET MOST OF WHAT OTHERS HAVE AT EXTRA COST AS STANDARD!" - Depending on how you read this, the user may walk away with the feeling he only gets most of what other similar software has at an extra cost if he buys yours. I think a lot of your points on the first page are missing commas, so they read without the pause a comma adds. I think what you mean is, "Our software has most of the features you would expect, and many additional ones included at no extra cost." By using something like this, you are avoiding refering to 'Others'... You never want them thinking about looking at your competition, and drifting from your site.

12) "YOU WILL GIVE US ALL THE INFORMATION WE ASK FOR ABOUT YOUR CHURCH AND USERS ALLOWED TO DO THINGS FOR YOU FROM YOUR CHURCH.".

Sounds a little creepy, if not demanding, as I read it.

I'd soften a lot of these statements. Try things like "Simply supply us with the some general information like user names and passwords, and we will quickly set up your user profiles. One of our friendly technicians will assist you in determining what information is needed."

Well, I hope I didn't just make an enemy... I mean well...
      Last edited by CraigSchumacker; 06-12-2015, 07:41 AM.

Comment

On the positives, The top banner overall looks very good, as does the column on the right side of the home page.

The contact us, blog, list your church, and other pages look good. (Just revise some gramatical issues you were probably going to get to, anyway...)

Also, you have enough content there that you should get listed fairly visibly in the search engines.

At any rate, the best of luck.

Comment

@ Craig - Thanks and will be working on some of this
          @ Kieth - Thanks - your site looks pretty good except the content is left side and header is centered. Looks like they don't belong together at all. Speed is a bit slow like a windows server would be. If you get the alignment worked out, I would like to see it again.
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

A little study at a professionally built site would go a long way toward improving your own - see Realm

If I were looking for someone to build a site for my church, I would probably call them first...and their pricing is reasonable. They were 2nd in the search list for "Church website software".

Be sure to check out the videos on how to use the software under Resources - very informative.
            Last edited by MoGrace; 06-12-2015, 02:08 PM.
            Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Dave:

I'll ask you to rip through some of my stuff at one point. Revenge can be oh-so-sweet!

I suspect you can do well with your software.

The hard part for me is I am no good with sales. By my measure, I make OK software, and I make it pretty with graphics, but I stink at selling.

I suspect graphics and sales are a good programmer's greatest challenge.

I hope the same is not so with you, but in any case, the better the site is at selling your product, the less selling you need to do.

Again, I hope you do very well.

Comment

Robin,

I have done many google(and other) searches in wich the one you mentioned never came up at all. Searches can cover so many wordings.
                Their alexa ranking is average.
                I just did your search on google and it did not come up on the top page here, Maybe their budget ran out.
                Their pricing starts about where mine is maxed out.

Last edited by DaveM; 06-12-2015, 02:53 PM.
                Dave Mason
                [email protected]
                Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Robin makes good points, but....

I, personally, don't like the Realm site. Yes, it looks good, but no information about the product. I walked away feeling there wasn't much to the software.

I did not find it in Google, either. They don't look optimized to show up in the organic results at all...

Now, no one has time to read these days, so too much content can be overwhelming. But if it's laid out well, and has easy to digest sales points without having to read too much, I think Dave can do well.

I think bullet points in a large easy-to-read font are a big plus toward a quick sale.

Here's my list from our forthcoming website that lists features for a restaurant inventory and labor system we are working on. Eventually, a new column will have a link a screen shot that correspond to each feature.

Now, no one will actually read all this, but they will eyeball it, and will probably feel the software is feature packed. The name of the software in this list is Acmesoft, and is fictional. I will take this down in a day, or so. I'm just using it to illustrate point # 5 in my first post.

In the end, users today want easy to learn, easy to use software with the features they need.
                  Last edited by CraigSchumacker; 06-12-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

I agree Craig
                    I did not like the realm site either.
                    Having been a master salesman and trainer, it is known that people have to see something about 3 times for it to stick. even if they don't read it, it is retained in their subconsiousness
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

I take it neither one of you went to the resource page to check out some of the videos? They give you live screen shots that show how the software can be modified to display what you want to see. I thought that was a nice feature. But what do I know? I have been in sales too, and I find the best approach is one of information. The professional design of the site itself at least gives the idea they know something about what they can do. This is a visual world and the eye will catch every thing that is out of sorts like mismatched fonts, using all caps, misspellings and info that doesn't match elsewhere...and since you are selling CHURCH software for whatever denomination; peace ought to be the goal not pizazz.

IMHO
                      Last edited by MoGrace; 06-12-2015, 03:47 PM.
                      Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Robin:

Nope, never made it there. They lost me long before that.

I want you to know I greatly respect your thoughts and opinion. You are a talented person.

For me, a 50 year old, I look for bullet points, or FAQ's to determine specs. I already know what I need, and just want to see a quick statement it is there.

But that's me...

Comment

Agreed, Dave's got some work to do on the website, if he so chooses. He writes his messages on the board quite well, so I think he may have rushed things a bit asking us for our thoughts.

I think it's safe to say we are all rooting for him. It's a tough market with a lot of competition out there.

Comment

Craig,
                            The difference is in who your intended market is. You are a computer savvy person; and I would guess that most people in a ministry setting know lots about that subject and very little about what goes into designing website software. They do however know what they see from other ministries who have gone online. That particular site I referenced, seems to know a lot about who their target market is and what ministry entails and so they approach their audience with some knowledge of what their customers expectations are and what they hope to achieve. Dave asked us for a critique, so I imagined myself as a potential customer and my first thoughts were that he needs to give more attention to both those areas.
                            Robin

Comment

Dave:

Robin makes good points, one of which is that your logo should appear at the bottom of every page with a link to your finished site. You will likely get extra traffic that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X