Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Post or Update Child Records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post or Update Child Records

I know I'm dumber than "a bag of rocks", I should be able to figure this out but just can't seem to.

Alpha 5 Ver 9 Desktop
    One table for "Prospects" I mail to or make sales call on. A second table for what I call "Sales Actions". Maybe I make a mailing to just 25 or 30 on my Prospects list. I want to show in "Sales Actions" table the date of the mailing or Sales Action and what it was I mailed in Action field of Sales Actions. I have both tables in a set I call "Prospects & Actions". Each time I make a mailing I'm having to do the actions part on a Form based on set.
    WHAT A PAIN!

I know there's an easier way to "post" or "update records" without having to go through each of the 25 or 30 on a form!

I'm attaching a Word file showing the structure for each table as well as the set links.

One New thing:
    When I mark a group of records how can I get a count of "marked" records?

Please Help
    Thank YouA1-File Structure.pdf

Re: Post or Update Child Records

New thing, not the old thing.

marked_records = A5_GET_RECORDS_IN_QUERY("your_table_or_set_name","marked()")
    There can be only one.

Comment

Many thanks, I'' give it a whirl.
      I loved your "If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room."

Comment

The old thing.

I know there's an easier way to "post" or "update records" without having to go through each of the 25 or 30 on a form!
        How do envision automating this? It is easy enough to create records in the sales_actions table. How would you specify which prospects were actioned and what action was taken?
        There can be only one.

Comment

Not sure I'm following? Did you look at file structure (and set structure) I attached? At one point I toyed with creating a new set based on Sales Action as Parent, and Prospect as child on a one to one.?

Thanks

Comment

No, not on a one to one, but a second set Actions as the parent with multiple children. Because it's one sales action that's applied to multiple prospects!! Am I thinking right?

Comment

Yes, sales_action to prospect would be a one to one set. You would just have multiple matches to the prospect table prospect id. Often used for reporting purposes (called an inverse set), doesn't necessarily simplify data entry unless you know the prospect id's that you would use to create the sales_action records.

In other words, in the inverse set, you would begin entering records by entering the prospect id, the date, and the action. The records would automatically be linked to the prospects table. That's the way a set works.
              There can be only one.

Comment

Hi Don,
                I did look at your pdf and noticed that you named your table with a space - it might be a good idea to remove that and perhaps call the table Sls_Acts.dbf or something along those lines to keep the filename.ext to the 8.3 conventon . I also read somewhere that proper naming of tables should not include the plural, ie. Prospect vs Prospects. You could do something similar with your field names to keep them to the 10 chars that Alpha prefers - maybe change Biz_descript to Biz_desc, and use field rules to give it a less cryptic name for your forms.

If your sales actions are of a repetitive nature, you might want to create a table to serve as a static lookup list. In the static table you could have a default description field that can be copied and edited in the sales action table after the user selects it.

Just some ideas FWIW
                Last edited by MoGrace; 06-12-2015, 08:00 PM.
                Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Working...
                X