Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Windev 20 vs alpha v12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windev 20 vs alpha v12

Originally posted by coleresources View Post
    As a subscriber will I be able to convert my standard WAS license to the IIS plugin version of the WAS without having to spend any additional money or is it going to be an added cost?
    I was very disappointed to find out that there would be an additional charge of $1,000.00 for me. I am 'subscribed' until 2018.
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
      I was very disappointed to find out that there would be an additional charge of $1,000.00 for me. I am 'subscribed' until 2018.

When I did few years ago subscribe KendoUI there was infact just one product KendoUI. Today there is KendoUI, UI for PHP, UI for JSP and UI for MVC available. All from original KendoUI but now all separate products. So I have just KendoUI.

Telerik is big company and it has large user base . I hope Alpha has resources to develop and maintain different products and add value to them all and I hope their user base is big enough to this separation.

I am sure that the basic problem with subscription model is that many users will pass one year regularly as I do with KendoUI. But Telerik is big company they can handle it.

Comment

What Alphasoftware has done with their subscription model is not new almost all vendors did the same . We as customers need new stuff because our clients ask for it. In fact there is demand for it that for things work. New idea''s options it takes laborcost eq more employees no matter what your companyname is or how small or large. I have never seen a Alpha developer gave his mobile app after months of hard work and effort for free so why should Alpha do that. If you don't like what there doning then simple leave. And if there is the debate about the IIS plugin an extra $1000 my idea is ask sales our that is correct before pulling conclusion if your not 100% sure. If i remember an email i received from Selwyn (that is a few years ago) "that in time the IIS plugin will replace the old WAS".
        So if my understanding is correct i you have and as long you keep a valid subscription then all is included it is one the reasons that AlphaSoftware started the subscription model to get away from feature packs (nightmare). I have not spoken to Selwyn for a long time ( i think should do that) to complete there is the roadmap 2015 what mentioned the future of Alpha Anywhere "We are working towards more and better use of Node.js, Express Angular" that is very clear and i believe that in time it will come Alpha will run on all platforms transparent without rewriting a line of code. Ken is correct and i agree that should be more clear when new versions are ready for the market like others do by example Q1,Q2,Q3,Q4. There also the question to ask yourself do i need all these fancy widgets and genies that are choices you can make for yourself.

BTW Telerik is a Progress company. Former CIO/CEO owners of Progress are now Board of Advisors member at AlphaSoftware a solid investment for the future
        Compare what AlphaSoftware delivers versus priceing. Price will go up again you can't hold that no suprise. Recently a vendor in france upgraded his subscription model from a developer license $175,00 a year and $250 for runtime per server to $1200 and $4500-9000. So what do you think what happen't after the great news? tell your customers they have to pay a little bit more.....

AlphaSoftware is selling by fair trade but you don't have to agree with that, it's my personal idea
        Last edited by bea2701; 07-15-2015, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bea2701 View Post
          ... and i believe that in time it will come Alpha will run on all platforms transparent without rewriting a line of code.
          Indeed; last DevCon Selwyn showed some impressive stuff that was converting xbasic to serverside javascript / node; Alpha knows very well what way to go & I put my trust in them.
          Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Originally posted by Clipper87 View Post
            Indeed; last DevCon Selwyn showed some impressive stuff that was converting xbasic to serverside javascript / node; Alpha knows very well what way to go & I put my trust in them.
            Frank yep we are both on stage for a long long time and have seen it all

Comment

I would like to mention to anybody how might be interested in the future to download Bitnami MEAN stack and play with it. That will make life easier to understand how the future will look from technical perspective. It's amazing and fun!

Comment

I would like to mention to anybody how might be interested in the future to download Bitnami MEAN stack and play with it. That will make life easier to understand how the future will look from technical perspective. It's amazing and fun!
                Because Alpha has nodejs and express and mongodb and passport already installed you can get the feeling also with Alpha. Thus how they have made it available for developers seems like it is at the moment more for their own internal use.

Truth is that not much has happened in Alphas server side javascript in practice since last year. Roadmap does not mean anything if it is not followed.
                Because of the plans to bring javascript to serverside it is odd to me how they using their resources with IIS.

Comment

Likely true as you say for most developers are not interested in the engine culture and more have focus for the xbasic and javascript to use the product as is. For sure is will take a long time before the developer will see more. Also most developers are used to the old school way and alpha will do the heavy lifting in converting xbasic to serverside javascript that is the way 99% has chosen Alphasoftware ease of use and less coding, quick to learn how to build smart fancy apps.

Geek i am talking like a marketing guy ( i am not)
                  Last edited by bea2701; 07-15-2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

I watch the boards every day, and rarely post, but felt compelled to weigh in here (apologies if this gets a bit lengthy).

My wife (Tracie) and I built MySchoolAnywhere.com in Alpha and I would guess that we are one of the largest SaaS apps built in Alpha. (Our Alexa ranking is currently US 59,000 and we typically rank between US 43,000 – 70,000 - depending on the time of the year as we are a seasonal business).

We originally created our software in MS Access (in 2008) and sold it as a desktop product. In 2010 we added some online features using Caspio but that was a bandaid. In 2012 we realized we needed to go fully to the web and searched for a tool to help us convert to our app.

Tracie did the research and suggested a couple of products, including Alpha. In a previous life (as a CPA in the early 80’s) I had been introduced to Alpha IV relating to some accounting software that was built on the platform. When we looked at it in 2012 I was impressed by the fact that Alpha had adapted through the years to meet the needs of the current tech market place (think BlackBerry who failed to adapt) as well as the features it had at the time. We obviously chose Alpha.

What intrigues me most about this thread is the idea that there is a “perfect” product out there. Companies will leap frog each other with new features, etc. but what I am most interested in is a company that has longevity, supports its users properly (even with some mistakes) and works hard to keep up with current trends.

Now, before you think I’m just some Alpha hack, I fully recognize that the documentation is weak (just fixing the search capabilities on the Wiki would probably resolve 70% of the issues) and that their roll out of last year’s subscription/licensing change was poorly implemented. However, many companies make blunders (think Netflix when they split their subscriber model, effectively doubling the cost to consumers, received a lot of negative feedback, and are now making record profits) and it is how they learn from those mistakes that matter.

Also, like many on the board I have had my share of spending several hours trying to solve what I thought was a simple task. But, I have to be honest and admit that I would likely have had a similar experience with any other product.

So, is Alpha the best product on the market? I have no clue since there is no such thing as perfect software (including all of ours) or the perfect company. All software has bugs and workarounds. In fact, I think if you don’t need workarounds then you don’t have enough users.

What I do know is that Alpha is constantly working to improve their software and keep up with the needs of their market/users. They also provide us the same level of customer service that we provide to our customers (which is why we are the leader in our space).

In order to build our business, we needed to commit to a company that was innovative, that we knew would be around for the long term and that had the software to allow us to build a best-in-class app. Alpha fits that description and I cannot see using any other product for our business.

Respectfully,
                    Jay Oken

Comment

Alexa rank
                      275270th most visited website in the world.
                      59137th most visited website in United States

Nicely done
                      checked with
                      http://www.site-analyzer.com
                      SEo could be a lot better, but who cares with that traffic. What I have been saying for many years. Who cares about seo if the traffic is there.

Of course there is no alpha on these main pages until you get to the log in, I am sure that must come later.
                      Dave Mason
                      [email protected]
                      Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                        Alexa rank
                        275270th most visited website in the world.
                        59137th most visited website in United States

Nicely done
                        checked with
                        http://www.site-analyzer.com
                        SEo could be a lot better, but who cares with that traffic. What I have been saying for many years. Who cares about seo if the traffic is there.

Of course there is no alpha on these main pages until you get to the log in, I am sure that must come later.
                        What has SEO and your project app has anything todo with the vendor not understanding what you are trying to say a developer should advertise for the vendor and it will rank your business on Alex or ever what higher or make more $$ for your company business. Or are you saying SEO on the vendor part hit will improve your business and profit.. If so will it improve faster selling for you or others will you get discount based on results like hits from the vendor answer NO. you already paid for marketing by your subscription payment partly for marketing cost. I think 95% of what you call "sales" frankly is no more then developer experience, proven skills, result, feedback, cost and time to market. But i understand you always mean well in your post response at the A5 board, further i know your could not sell me a car at Devcon 2010 [ transportation cost to Amsterdam where at little bit to high], but i know a sales guy will never give up keep trying

Comment

I forgot to mention:
                          If you look around the web with all it vendor for different type of solutions from php to oracle express.
                          Not one of these match the alpha message board at one point due to lack of one simple thing "social developer connector" there all deliver API for Google,FaceBook etc. So if we talk about SEO then most effective result is the Alpha community my hope is simple don't change but promote we all have benefit

I am sure 90% Richard Rabins will pick this up and put it on the DEVCON 2015 agenda, there is a lot to tell, the more positive we say will increase business revenue for A5, we share a part of the profit to keep our cost acceptable. a good SEO keyword(s) "we all share we all benefit join us".

Comment

Likely true as you say for most developers are not interested in the engine culture and more have focus for the xbasic and javascript to use the product as is. For sure is will take a long time before the developer will see more. Also most developers are used to the old school way and alpha will do the heavy lifting in converting xbasic to serverside javascript that is the way 99% has chosen Alphasoftware ease of use and less coding, quick to learn how to build smart fancy apps.
                            As I see this most developers are using xbasic today with components like this:

dim jsscript as c
                            jsscript=<<txt%
                            ..javascript here..
                            %txt%

or

dim somejs as c
                            somejs = "..javascript here.."

That means that they use xbasic to output javascript. Why? Is it easier?

World is full people who can javascript but very little who have time to learn xbasic.

Comment

In General i would say yes, it is the foundation of understanding for a lot off "citizen" and professional web/mobile developers the way to get there is hard and difficult. By example use the Kendo UI great product no discussion about that i know it very well (MVC/JSP) in <basic> it's no more then a wrapper with some gadget to make live easier i.a.w. plain box. But now we need to add some security to the app and user role most people get lost to difficult to understand even for a simple app. Now let us reverse and give the "new" developer a plain MEAN stack all free opensource no cost . At minimal 85% will leave bootcamp before finish.

Vision is simplify (KISS) as we named in the early days before AGLIE was born is there a good reason to alter that ?, i wonder. Freedom is choices you can make be a good fast type goat with tons of lines in your simple app to debug your semi colon mistake in a 5 level deep DOM client side, not to mention server part like SSRS Node etc.
                              Last edited by bea2701; 07-16-2015, 10:00 AM.

Comment

I fully recognize that the documentation is weak
                                Wait and see
                                Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

Working...
                                X