Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Windev 20 vs alpha v12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Windev 20 vs alpha v12

Originally posted by frankbicknell View Post
    I was very disappointed to find out that there would be an additional charge of $1,000.00 for me. I am 'subscribed' until 2018.
    Well I got over my disappointment and signed up again. That alphahol is potent $h:^.
    Win 10 64 Development, Win 7 64 WAS 11-1, 2, Win 10 64 AA-1,2, MySql, dbForge Studio The Best MySQL GUI Tool IMHO. http://www.devart.com/dbforge/mysql/studio/

Comment

Well, they're trying their best to get me to re-up. Yesterday, I got a message saying I didn't have the latest build as one was released on 7/14/15. So, I downloaded from the alternate servers (the main servers were not active) and installed. This morning I got another message saying I'm not up to date and listed the same build as mine. This time I was able to download from the main servers but before installing, I compared my build number to this morning's download. Would you just look at that?? My build number and today's download are the same. Now, I'm getting a message saying my subscription expired on June 2, 2015 and I won't be able to download the updates unless I buy another subscription. Say what? Whose doing the programing for this at Alpha. My subscription doesn't expire until January 24, 2016. If it expired on 6/2/15, how come I was able to download twice? Who's asleep at the wheel? Guess I'll have to see what Alpha has to say. Just thought this is kinda funny.
      TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

Originally posted by kkfin View Post
        At first using code generators seems to be nice solution. But very soon you just struggle with them.

Why to make it so difficult.
        In html page you basically have just labels, text boxes, input boxes, selects and textarea.
        Then you add some css and js.

I would just learn basic skills in html and js and some css.
        Then start using angularjs + some frontend frameworks like kendoui (with Alpha of course).

Life is much easier and you never have to struggle lack of documentations.

Check this example from angularjs.org.
        How easy to add or take away something.
        This is how coding should be done!

Code:
        <!DOCTYPE html>
        <html>
        <head>
        <script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/angularjs/1.3.14/angular.min.js"></script>
        </head>
        <body>

<div ng-app ng-init="qty=1;cost=2">
          <b>Invoice:</b>
          <div>
            Quantity: <input type="number" min="0" ng-model="qty">
          </div>
          <div>
            Costs: <input type="number" min="0" ng-model="cost">
          </div>
          <div>
            <b>Total:</b> {{qty * cost | currency}}
          </div>
        </div>
        </body>
        </html>
        Get interested? This is the original video that turned my development philosophy.

Angular is certainly a different beast, and quite mature now in today's modern longevity terms.
        I particularly like this video that quickly and code efficiently explains the benefits and openness of Angular, viz a viz third party tools such as Firebase.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qdoaX-iWC4
        It may be out of date now, as I believe a significant upgrade took place fairly recently, but it still highlights the trends in the marketplace to simplify the coding side of DB related development.

I also find it interesting that traditional Alpha users are now exploring development topics such as 'meanstack', long may it continue.

As to AA and hilltops, from what I understand, Selwyn would appear to be a software development tool genius and as long as he retains the desire to differentiate AA from the rest of the offerings we should be OK.

Unless you are a hobbyist developer, you must realise that just like you, Alpha is a business, and as such requires capital to continue as a successful enterprise.
        Therefore, research and development costs need to be covered and then investors appeased, etc. Which I suspect is why they have, over recent years, opted for the subscription model.
        Personally, I am not a fan of the subscription approach, primarily because of the comments several people have already expressed in this thread. However, I am a fan of paying a fair price for an upgrade when significant benefits and features become available. I would add to this that to offset cash flow needs for suppliers such as Alpha, I am always happy to pay reasonable annual maintenance charges to ensure correction of bug fixes and receipt of improved functionality of existing features.

Comment

I watched the video link (actually watched-skimmed it). Every time I watch a video on Angular JS, I marvel at what a painful process it is to build even the most simple interface. I get that you have total control, but at what price? You could spend a year building stuff Alpha gives you out of the box that you can put together in minutes or in an hour. It's not that Alpha is a perfect solution, it's not. But there's a reason that people gravitate towards RAD. You can do real stuff, relatively quickly. One of my projects over the past 6-months is quite complex (that's why it's taken 6-months and a ways to go yet), but if I had to do it Angular, I would be working on it for 6-years. Having said that, I really would love to see some of Kkfin's work:

Then start using angularjs + some frontend frameworks like kendoui (with Alpha of course)
          That's an interesting combo: Angular, KendoUI and Alpha. Of course, if you are using KendoUI, then you are leapfrogging Angular in a sense - right?
          Peter
          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Angular is a framework like many others as Breeze, KnockOut no more. Kendo UI is a template wrapper for different script languages as JSP, ASP,PHP no more.
            The learning curve is not so simple as shown on youtube video's. Use Webstorm from Jetbrains.com my advice first follow the basic training course howto become a type goat

Comment

Along with what Peter said, unless you need it to do something Alpha (or similar programs) can't do, why does one want to spend all that time with it? In some respect, the time spent on it is wasted time. (Not that I haven't wasted time with Alpha. LOL)
              TYVM :) kenn

Knowing what you can achieve will not become reality until you imagine and explore.

Comment

My answer to the observations of Peter and Ken is twofold:

1. Given that the Angular code involved in the video example is in reality very compact for what it achieves and far more powerful than anything previously available in JS and even JQ, I suggest therefore that possibly for the more adaptable amongst us, that when armed with a snippet library of typical DOM access functions, preferred CSS layout attributes, generic table management requirements and table definitions, simple copy and paste actions + necessary tweaks quickly become the developer equivalent of RAD, and eventually second nature.

2. Incredible flexibility for back-end and front-end functionality; with deployment costs, if not completely inconsequential, then certainly not a barrier to attractive resale pricing.

Having said that, given my age and dwindling ability to focus intensively on new technologies and how to harness and benefit from them, give me the RAD approach every time :)

Comment

There are rad systmes out there that will give you JS, css, asp/c# code that works and ready to deploy verysimilar to what alpha does. It is about the same cost as well. It does not do it with less hand coding, in fact just the opposite. You will do more hand coding. There are benefits as well.
                  Do I use it? NO Too busy with alpha desktops stuff and my website endeavors.
                  Due to the websites I am compelled to go deeper and deeper into PHP, CSS3, JQ, JS, HTML5, ajax, MySQL/mariadb, not to mention some other stuff. These will go on Linux or windows platforms and sometimes do.
                  Fortunately, there are tons of code snippets already built in the aforementioned that may only need a tweak or 2 to save many hours of hand work.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Working...
                  X