Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

cloud tag control in multi-select textbox lookup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cloud tag control in multi-select textbox lookup

Thanks again for taking a look.

I was wondering how the textbox (or the textarea) could be onfiguerd as a tag control. The current setup is great selecting items, but removing an item (text item) takes a lot of backspace strokes (very awkward when using mobile devices).

I was trying to make things look like the following:
    tagcloud.JPG

As you can see, to remove an item users just need to tap on the "x" button. Is there anyway we can configure the controls like this?

Thank you very very much in advance

Re: cloud tag control in multi-select textbox lookup

Just learnt of this yesterday. There is a property "In-control button definition". Give it a name, and the click to effect the following command

{this}.value = '';

at least this is for the textbox only, textarea not sure.

Update: Think was off the mark on what the request was but heck, nice to know this too I guess...
    Last edited by kotinkarwak; 08-18-2015, 10:38 AM.
    Regards,

Kotin Karwak
    Developer Edition
    Version 12.3 Build 2684
    System Addins: Build 4438
    Build machine Windows Vista

Comment

I think using a textarea or text box is incorrect. There's a "contenteditable" attribute you can add to block elements in HTML. It has pretty good support and will let add the HTML styling and events necessary to handle display and removal of your tags.

I found most of this information on StackOverflow in this thread. http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...a-using-jquery

The first answer includes two JS fiddles, the first of which will add tags when the spacebar is pressed in textbox1 and add them to textbox2: http://jsfiddle.net/hungerpain/Wky2Z/
      Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release

Comment

You haven't said how you're going to populate the control... or process the selections. Depending on how you're going to work with the control then using the List control may be a good solution. It's a bit "heavy" but will give you better looking results than what you've included as a sample (ie no staggered row lengths). You can fill the list easily and process each selection easily to remove it... and then easily process the remaining selections.

Comment

Why couldn't you simply have a textbox and two buttons in a merge? The onclick events should be able to handle the needs. One button could set the tag and the other delete it...
          Still another could create the 3 new controls in a list...or just a textbox and a single button in a merge to appear as your current images...or whatever they are.

I know you can eliminate the space between the controls to make this appear as a single seamless button.
          As far as editing or changing it thats where the 3rd button could come in, like a reset or "clear"

Might make for a better mobile exp
          NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Hi Sarah, that was a good article you pointed out using attributes from the textarea. Unfortunately my java-script skills are crappy at best. I did see a good plugin - https://select2.github.io - I'm looking at it so i won't need to reinvent the wheel (me=lazy programmer).

Hey David, I've made a small video how to select the items. I made this from a .net third party component but I'm trying to port over Alpha if all works out:
            https://youtu.be/AOCR8t_C2aU
            It seems the textbox / textarea in alpha is a good candidate to start on this since it has the auto-suggest lookup already built in.

Hi Charles, that sounds great too but the items are selected from the auto-suggest list so i guess i would need to put more creativity on that.

Thank you everyone for your replies! I hope i can get more.

Comment

Originally posted by browserfiles View Post
              Hi Sarah, that was a good article you pointed out using attributes from the textarea. Unfortunately my java-script skills are crappy at best. I did see a good plugin - https://select2.github.io - I'm looking at it so i won't need to reinvent the wheel (me=lazy programmer).
              Fair enough! ;)

The Tagging box in that example is cool. I think some people get confused. Most "tag" boxes like the one shown in Select2 aren't textboxes. They're styled div or span elements that look like textbox or text area elements. The contenteditable attribute mentioned was applied to a DIV:

Code:
              <div contenteditable="true"></div>
              Anyway, I was thinking more about your needs and thought that a button list might be useful. You could have a textbox for adding new tags and clicking on the tag name in the button list would delete the tag. Add the tag would create a new button in the button list. Depending on how you're storing the tags will dictate how you'll need to store them "behind the scenes", if that's even necessary. If tags are individual line items in a database, you could use a list control to add/delete them. Just style the tag name as a button and add a delete action to the field's onClick event in the list control.

Code:
              <button class="myButtonStyle">{TAG_NAME} X</button>
              Are you storing tags as a comma delimited list in a single field? Or are they stored as individual records?
              Alpha Anywhere latest pre-release

Comment

Originally posted by browserfiles View Post
                Thanks again for taking a look.

I was wondering how the textbox (or the textarea) could be onfiguerd as a tag control. The current setup is great selecting items, but removing an item (text item) takes a lot of backspace strokes (very awkward when using mobile devices).

I was trying to make things look like the following:
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]40883[/ATTACH]

As you can see, to remove an item users just need to tap on the "x" button. Is there anyway we can configure the controls like this?

Thank you very very much in advance
                Hi, have you thought about using a grid with a text box that had autosuggest enabled with a button to the right to touch to clear that entry?

You could then use that list of records as a source to filter another table.

So, a grid with one text box and one button. On that button you could put a pretty X as an image. :)

Comment

I got pretty close with this. I don't think there is a built-in easy way in Alpha to mimic the control you're using... but this gets close. Here's a video and the component. The dropdownbox control and ajax callback will need modification because they're using my data source and table names.

BuildSelectedList.PNG

https://youtu.be/WUdU8xZSV54
                  Attached Files

Comment

I don't think there is a built-in easy way in Alpha to mimic the control you're using...
                    Sounds like a good idea for a feature suggestion to Selwyn
                    Frank

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand

Comment

I don't think so. Although the specific control, as shown, isn't available in Alpha, I'd use a List control to accomplish the same thing. You're just building up a list from a filtered dropdown.

Comment

Originally posted by Davidk View Post
                        I got pretty close with this. I don't think there is a built-in easy way in Alpha to mimic the control you're using... but this gets close. Here's a video and the component. The dropdownbox control and ajax callback will need modification because they're using my data source and table names.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]40897[/ATTACH]

https://youtu.be/WUdU8xZSV54
                        That was awesome david! (david = alphagod) I'm trying this out now when i get home (soooo excited)

Comment

Finally got it running. Your tutorial definitely pointed me in the right direction david (aka alphagod). Here s what I built so far:

https://youtu.be/xIZsqY3UvDw

I'm currently pulling the data from xbasic because I would need in some way to persist data from server. I hope I can find a way to play with this client side. Thanks again. It was a big help.

Comment

Working...
                          X