Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Switch Editors

Alpha Software Employee Beta Spark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Default Switch Editors

Curious how you can update information directly like the swipe controls in Sample App? For binary values (yes/no) or fields with very few states, it may not make sense to have a separate Editor to update the value in the form. You can change the control in your form to a Switch control, which lets you edit the value inline - no popups with save buttons!

Switch Control

Video Link: http://www.alphasoftware.com/video-library/?v=4922

Has anyone made use of the switch control in their tablet app? How was your experience configuring the switch control in your form?
    Last edited by Beta Spark; 08-19-2015 at 10:33 AM.
    Sarah Mitchell

Looking for answers? Try our documentation.
    If you can't find something, let us know!

Real Name
    Ken Carroll

Default Re: Switch Editors

I have a lot of fields in MySQL table that are logical 0 or 1 (true or false) and have been currently saving as type tinyint...I notice that multi-state is supported, how multi? Can I use one switch in line to toggle between Complete Report, Limited Report, Supplemental Report, Reinspection Report (types of reports as per WDO reporting in CA...as it is now, prior to this new technology, I have been using 0's or 1's to "check the CA state form check boxes accordingly". This would be much easier in the formview to have 4 possible values for a field in my database for TYPEofREPORT. The example was MARRIED (yes or no). I would like to use the switch for logical (true or false) and also for 4 possible values as I mentioned. Other than that, I have played around with it and can get 0's or 1's to show up in my database now as a result of switching either on or off inline. My test has been with field SEPARATED REPORT (either is or is not a separated report, which is simply a logical field in MySQL (tinyint 1 OR 0).

Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by kctermite View Post
    I have a lot of fields in MySQL table that are logical 0 or 1 (true or false) and have been currently saving as type tinyint...I notice that multi-state is supported, how multi? Can I use one switch in line to toggle between Complete Report, Limited Report, Supplemental Report, Reinspection Report (types of reports as per WDO reporting in CA...as it is now, prior to this new technology, I have been using 0's or 1's to "check the CA state form check boxes accordingly". This would be much easier in the formview to have 4 possible values for a field in my database for TYPEofREPORT. The example was MARRIED (yes or no). I would like to use the switch for logical (true or false) and also for 4 possible values as I mentioned. Other than that, I have played around with it and can get 0's or 1's to show up in my database now as a result of switching either on or off inline. My test has been with field SEPARATED REPORT (either is or is not a separated report, which is simply a logical field in MySQL (tinyint 1 OR 0).
    The states for a mutli switch editor use font icons or images to display the state. You can define as many states as you want. The control will cycle through each state as you click on it.

I put together a small example for you using the built-in sample data. Check it out:
    multiState_Example1.zip
    Last edited by Beta Spark; 08-20-2015 at 11:12 AM.
    Sarah Mitchell

Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Hi Ken!

I wanted to follow up with some extra information. You're not restricted to using Icons. You can also use HTML:
    multiStateHTML.png
    Sarah Mitchell

Real Name
    Ken Carroll

Once I realized I could delete the Yes and No and type words more appropriate for my switches, choosing the HTML I want to see on the form and choosing the character(s) that show up in the database record from which my termite report is generated (PDF), and that I could simply add more words beyond the two "yes" and "no"...well, looks like the sky is the limit. Thanks very much!