Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: How to convert List with Master Details records to editable Template

Real Name
    Ed Sicard

Default How to convert List with Master Details records to editable Template

Hi,
    One of the functions of forms was to allow the user to create a document such as an Invoice with line items that looks like a printed invoice.
    The template tester provides a Order/Order-Details example but does not show how this template can get it's data from a list, a list that contains a singe record for order and the child records for details.

Is there some documentation or video on bring this together?

Alpha Software Employee Beta Spark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Default Re: How to convert List with Master Details records to editable Template

Quote Originally Posted by edsicard View Post
    Hi,
    One of the functions of forms was to allow the user to create a document such as an Invoice with line items that looks like a printed invoice.
    The template tester provides a Order/Order-Details example but does not show how this template can get it's data from a list, a list that contains a singe record for order and the child records for details.

Is there some documentation or video on bring this together?
    Hi Ed,

Are you asking how you would do this in the FormView or in a List control?
    Sarah Mitchell

Looking for answers? Try our documentation.
    If you can't find something, let us know!

Real Name
    Ed Sicard

Default Re: How to convert List with Master Details records to editable Template

I guess list control because that is what hold the data.
    Example..
    Northwinds has a Orders Table and Order Details table. In Alpha this takes 2 lists to edit them.
    But as Dan B demo last year the FormView could edit both tables in one panel with touch and it looked exactly like a printed paper invoice.

I cannot upload a picture for some reason on this web site.

Real Name
    Ed Sicard

Goto this video by DanB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblhtTJtYY4

Start at the 30:04 Mark

Alpha Software Employee Beta Spark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by edsicard View Post
    Goto this video by DanB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UblhtTJtYY4

Start at the 30:04 Mark
    Ah! I know what you're talking about. OK.

You could do this any number of ways. The easiest method is probably to use 2 lists. One parent list that holds the main records and then child list in the Detail View for the parent list that holds all the order items (with its own detail view.) Check out the video on Hierarchical lists: http://www.alphasoftware.com/video-library/?v=4455. In the video, Selwyn demonstrates two lists that display orders with order details.

Regarding the styling to make it look like a paper form - you can accomplish this with CSS. The Paper look can be accomplished by defining a container with a fixed width & height. The detail view components for the parent list as well as the child list control can be styled to fit within the the container.
    Sarah Mitchell

Looking for answers? Try our documentation.
    If you can't find something, let us know!

Real Name
    David Moss

Hi Sarah any opportunity to have this specific Customer/Invoice Formview by DanB made available to the user community? I would be interested in digging in to see how it was accomplished.

Thanks,

Real Name
    Greg Taylor

I second David's request. I am very interested in the CSS styling demonstrated in the video as well as the overall action of the form editor and viewbox control. I would love to get my hands on a working example to learn how to replicate for my own project.

Real Name
    Greg Taylor

bump