Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Iron Speed is gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Iron Speed is gone

Just as a matter of interest, this Patent that IS have supposedly infringed, is this the same as when we create a default form from a set?
    Regards
    Keith Hubert
    Alpha Guild Member
    London.
    KHDB Management Systems
    Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

As I read the patent, it is exploring the idea of creating a brand new table from a genie.

The early version of Alpha had something like that, where you could create a contact database (back then so called), or an inventory database (table).

How are others interpreting it?

Comment

Craig, This material is so complex i think you have to be an lawyer to understand the impact [ if there is any at all] it it's a problem uberhaupt it could address any RAD vendor like CodeOnTime, OuterSystems, Servoy etc. The direct impact is what is direct visual Ironspeed closed >1xx000 developers are stuck incl. there business and clients. AlphaSoftware is a very solid company with over 30 years business experience these guys are no fools, i am sure the already know what is going on with these trolls and made precautions to protect there business and users.

Comment

I took a look at the patent and its a complete joke! Maybe if it was issued in 1989 it would make sense (vs. 2006), but basically it patents the automatic creation of a user entry screen from a database schema. Alpha does this and pretty much any RAD or development tool you can think of does this as well. But I was using Cold Fusion back in 1998 and it did the same thing.

I get the sense Iron Speed was particularly vulnerable because their entire software was built around taking a database and easily automating the creation of a web based UI. Plus I think they were a much smaller company. Alpha has this ability but its a much smaller part of the overall software package. Not that it makes it any less vulnerable to patent trolls of whatever form or shape!

Personally, if Alpha was ever backed into a similar corner (knock wood they aren't) I would hope they would turn to the larger community to help support their legal costs vs. taking a dive off the proverbial cliff. It would be much less painful to borrow some money and kick in a few grand to a legal defense fund then rebuild my applications from scratch.

Comment

Plus I think they were a much smaller company.
            Iron Speed doesn't think so. At least that's what their CEO said on their message board. He said their competitors were much smaller. Supposedly since IS was a bigger company, the trolls went after them - he postulated.
            Peter
            AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
            https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

According to Wiki April 2011 there were 1,2 million licensed attorneys in the United States. They all use iphone and drive cabriolet Mercedes. Same time there is just about 3,6 million developers in USA. Lawyers will eat us!

Comment

More problems to developers in US maybe in near future and more earnings possibilities to lawyers . Read here...

Comment

a judge in Texas just threw out 168 cases brought by a troll. Good for him.

If I can find the link. I will post it here.

http://bgr.com/2015/10/02/patent-tro...es-thrown-out/
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

This has been a concern in the back of my head for some time...

PCI EMV changes just last week force businesses accepting Visa / MC to be responsible for fraud when a card being used isn't proceesed with equipment that uses the chip technology rather than the magnetic swipe. The banks used to absorb fraud, now the business owner will if the card is swiped... You may have gotten new credit cards just before Oct 01, 2015 for this very reason.

In the event there is a software breach, you can bet your kajingles that will get passed to the software developers via lawsuits.

Make sure you encrypt, salt your hash, and use other techniques to protect the personal data. ( By other techniques, I mean little intangibles like don't just encrypt the CC number, or the SSN. Encrypt everything. Use vaque names for those fields, buffer front and back of 9 digit SSN and CC number, no dashes in SSN, etc...).

Comment

Well, this sucks for the guys using Ironspeed - my heart goes out to them. I do hope that whoever holds this patent - would be lenient to simply get rich and enjoy rather than shut it down. I have always believed there is more to be made and accomplished in creation than destruction. I hope we are not at risk in any similar fashion...
                      Reading the patent I personally think the guy didn't invent anything he just patented the obvious. I just don't see how this can continue to hold water - he is technically holding back the future by claiming he invented time.
                      Last edited by CharlesParker; 10-07-2015, 01:08 AM.
                      NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Originally posted by CraigSchumacker View Post
                        Make sure you encrypt, salt your hash, and use other techniques to protect the personal data. ( By other techniques, I mean little intangibles like don't just encrypt the CC number, or the SSN. Encrypt everything. Use vaque names for those fields, buffer front and back of 9 digit SSN and CC number, no dashes in SSN, etc...).
                        I think that things like best practice, standard ways , using
                        just well known algorithms and so on will protect developer.
                        Own solutions to protect sensitive data developer should just forget.

I suppose developer must think also(maybe) carefully what kind of database to use.
                        One could think that using access(old format) or dbf or similar to store sensitive data in web application
                        you may find yourself sooner or later in court if something happens (Wyndham Case).

Comment

Working...
                        X