Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: How to update the value of a dependent field in a Formview?

Real Name
    Doug Evenhouse

Default How to update the value of a dependent field in a Formview?

Hi,

Are there any events on a Formview field (onBlur for example) to which I can attach javascript that can update other fields in the form? Say I want to update a "Total" field after the user inputs a "Price" value. How would I go about doing that? I think I could use an Editor's "Get value from editor" property to update other fields in the form but if I'm using a generic Editor I would have to rely on custom settings and check for static values to know which field is currently being edited and what to do with the value being committed. That's not optimal.

Is the beta Formview outfitted for this kind of thing at this point? Or maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks.

Doug

Alpha Software Employee Beta Spark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Default Re: How to update the value of a dependent field in a Formview?

Quote Originally Posted by dougeven View Post
    Hi,

Are there any events on a Formview field (onBlur for example) to which I can attach javascript that can update other fields in the form? Say I want to update a "Total" field after the user inputs a "Price" value. How would I go about doing that? I think I could use an Editor's "Get value from editor" property to update other fields in the form but if I'm using a generic Editor I would have to rely on custom settings and check for static values to know which field is currently being edited and what to do with the value being committed. That's not optimal.

Is the beta Formview outfitted for this kind of thing at this point? Or maybe I'm missing something?

Thanks.

Doug
    Hi Doug!

There is a function in the {dialog.object} that can be used to set values in the FormView called "formViewUpdate". This function takes 3 parameters, the ID for the FormView control, an array of columns (aka, fields) to update, and a matching array of values for those fields.

In the Editor Set, there is a javascript method available called "Commit javascript". You can add javascript to this event, which happens when any of the editors in the editor set are committed. There are two variables available when working with this event: 'value' and 'settings'. 'value' is the value returned by the "Get value from editor" javascript function for an editor. 'settings' is a JSON object containing information about the FormView, editor, and more. If you want to see what's available in 'settings', add this line of code to the Commit javascript:

Code:
    alert(JSON.stringify(settings));
    SO, with that background knowledge, I can provide you with an example. Below is code I created that updates a TOTAL field with the total price for a line item. There are two fields the total is calculated from: QUANTITY and PRICE. I put this code in the Commit javascript (Note: this isn't the smartest code. For example, it will execute every time the Commit javascript method is called, even if QUANTITY and PRICE have not changed.):
    Code:
    // get what column is being modified
    var col = settings["*a5column"]; 

// Get the quantity. If we're editing "QUANTITY", then we use 'value'. Otherwise, get it from settings:
    var q = $u.s.toNum(col == "QUANTITY"? value : settings["data"]["QUANTITY"]);

// Get the price. If we're editing "PRICE", then we use 'value'. Otherwise, get it from settings:
    var p = $u.s.toNum(col == "PRICE" ? value : settings["data"]["PRICE"]);

var totalField = 'TOTAL';
    var totalValue = q*p;

var formViewToUpdate = 'FORMVIEW_1';
    var fieldsToUpdate = [totalField];
    var valuesForFields = [totalValue];

{dialog.object}.formViewUpdate(formViewToUpdate, fieldsToUpdate, valuesForFields);
    Hope this helps!
    Sarah Mitchell

Looking for answers? Try our documentation.
    If you can't find something, let us know!