Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Alpha5 Install Maker - APPin v-2.0 - A Installation Maker Designed for Alpha5 v10, v11, & v12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha5 Install Maker - APPin v-2.0 - A Installation Maker Designed for Alpha5 v10, v11, & v12

Jon, thanks for your kind words.
    Thanks,
    James

Comment

Re: Alpha5 Install Maker - APPin v-2.0 - A Installation Maker Designed for Alpha5 v10, v11, & v12

Just tried it and it does not start. Tried it from the table tab and the code tab. A5V11 on Windows 10

Edit; Found I needed to close a form that was open.

Comment

I have tried this several times and keep getting installation errors due to the following files not being present:
        mfc120.dll
        A5DBSESS
        A5XBASIC.DLL
        A5ENGINE.DLL

Comment

Bob, the files you listed are installed when you install Alpha5. It is possible your Alpha5 installation is corrupt and needs to be re-installed or your antivirus has blocked these files from running. Unfortunately, since this issue is outside the scope of my plugin, there is little I can do to help. I suggest searching the forums for any errors involving these files to see if there is a solution.
          Thanks,
          James

Comment

Questions Moved to V11 desktop forum Thread: Appin install utility questions v2.2
            Last edited by MikeData; 03-01-2017, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Mike, thanks for the detailed question. I will get you an answer sometime Saturday or sooner depending on my work schedule. Please keep an eye out for any follow-up questions I may have.
              Thanks,
              James

Comment

Great, Thanks. Take your time, no urgency.

Comment

Mike, I am posting a reply in detail so all can benefit.
                  1. Q1 - I have indicated that I want my application to be installed to the root directory (c:\\). When I install the program using the setup file created, it installs the application to the Program Files Directory.
                    ANSWER - Inno's security restricts installations to the root directory by default. To bypass, switch to advanced mode in Appin. The "Restrictions" tab should now appear. Under restrictions, change "Allow Root Directory" to yes.

It is also important to note that it is not good practice to specify the "c" directory as the default installation target directory. Instead, select "System Drive" ({sd}) from the drop down menu for the Default Installation Target Directory.

If you are testing this on a machine that you have already installed the application on, make sure to uninstall the application before you test again. Otherwise, by default, the installation will look for the prior install and automatically change the target directory to the one used before. To disable this Inno feature, un-check the "Use Previous Installation Settings" at the bottom of the "Defaults" tab screen. This is not recommended for the setup file you distribute.

2. Q2 - Is there a way to add to the setup, a way to run the patch?
                    ANSWER - I may not be answering this question in the correct context. If not, please give me more detailed information.

You can run separate updates or patches using Appin. Under the "Installation Type" in the "Setup" tab, select "Application Update". This will allow you to create an update file with changes to your application and/or distribute a new Alpha 5 Runtime patch. It is recommended that you create a separate Appin file for each update you distribute. See help files and readme file for more details.

3. Q3 - Is there a way to run the icon generated as administrator?
                    ANSWER - This is not currently a feature of Appin or Inno from what I can tell. If it can be done, it would probably have to be added into the [code] section of the inno file similar to the way I have the setup file automatically backup previous installation.

4. Q4 - If I have another application to install at the same time, can it be included as part of the setup file?
                    ANSWER - This is currently not a feature of Appin but it can be done through Inno. In fact, I chose Inno as an installation maker because of it's incredible flexibility. Were my plugin lacks, you can always make adjustments directly in Inno Script Studio. Many use Inno to install dependent applications from other third party providers (i.e. net framework ver xxx). If you would like to learn how, review the inno script generated by Appin and note how I added the Alpha 5 runtime setup file. Below are detailed instructions from within Inno Script Studio:
                    • First, if you want this application to show as an optional item to install, add it to the "Components" section using the "New Item" button at the top. Double click on the Runtime line for an example. In the end, the script generated should look something like this:

Code:
                      [Components]
                      Name: "MyApp"; Description: "Install MyApp"; Types: All
                    • Add the application to the "Files" section using the "New Item" button at the top. You need to define the source of the application setup file, the destination, the flags to use, and the component (optional) to group in. Double click on the "{#MyRuntimeSetup}" line for an example of where to set the destination and the flags to use. In the end, the script generated should look something like this:

Code:
                      [Files]
                      Source: "MyAppSetupFile"; DestDir: "{tmp}"; Flags: skipifsourcedoesntexist nocompression; Components: MyApp
                    • Add the application to the "Install Run" section using the "New Item" button at the top. You need to define the filename, working directory, and flags. Double click on the first line for an example of how the runtime file is installed. The order in this section matters. You do not need to hide the installation wizard of your app if you do not want to. Make changes as necessary. In the end, the script generated should look something like this:

Code:
                      [Run]
                      Filename: "{tmp}\MyAppSetupFile.exe"; WorkingDir: "{tmp}"; Flags: hidewizard skipifdoesntexist; StatusMsg: "Installing MyApp Files"; Components: MyApp

Now your chaining your installation requirements into 1 setup file. How cool is that?
                  Thanks,
                  James

Comment

Wow, that is great to get all that info. I do appreciate it.
                    There is only one problem, now I have to digested it.
                    Lots of details. Thank you very much for taking the time.
                    I'll get to work.

Comment

Hi James,

Great addin, this is so much better than the installmaker that comes with a5

I've done some modifying of the Inno_script file to get the install to where I like it but I'm stumped with the splash screen after the initial install and the client runs the app for the first time to set the shadow tables and connect to the master tables. After the shadow is made on the client machine the alpha splash still comes up and I'd like to either have the app splash or none at all.

As I see it, the create_shadow2 command creates the shadow app on the clients machine yet that command has limited options for customizing the shadow app

My question is is there a way to have a custom splash or no splash after the initial install? Is this done in your addin or within Inno?

I'm sure I'm not doing something simple, kinda like checking if there's batteries in a flashlight that doesn't work.....

Comment

If I understand correctly, after a shadow db is installed, the shadow execution displays the Alpha 5 splash screen instead of the one designated. I will assume that you used the "Appearance" tab to modify the "Startup Command Line Options File". This is where you designate the icon filename, splash filename, and application title. Is this correct? You designated the splash filename and title here but it is not working. Please let me know and I will take a look at. I may have to wait until this weekend before I respond again to give me time to test.
                        Thanks,
                        James

Comment

Hi James,

Sorry for the false alarm.
                          I should have stopped working earlier and given my brain a rest, maybe I would have noticed my error.

It works great

Thank you for the quick reply

Regards

Keith

Comment

Alpha5 Install Maker - APPin v-2.3 Released

Version 2.3 has been released. Below is the link. See release notes for changes.

https://files.secureserver.net/0s4vshV1EJvr9c
                            Thanks,
                            James

Comment

James,

[1] Thank you very much for your efforts developing this tool! Much appreciated!

[2] I am a first time user of your installer.

[3] I may have overlooked, but besides the release notes and a short install note, I can't find some type of manual? Maybe it's not needed because of the pop-up help, just thought I should mention this related to my following question as so you know that IF there was a manual, I didn't read it....

[4] At the first tab, you can select the "runtime file". However, the runtime isn't distributed by Alpha "as a file", it is distributed as a zipped folder, which I can't select here (your installer is telling me to select an exe). So what do I do here? How do I select the zipped runtime installer?

[5] I noticed dependance on 2 files, one of them from the jrsoftware site. This site has now been unavailable for a few days, which influences your installer. Wouldn't it be better to just install those required files as a part of the addin package (with permission of the authors ofcourse)?

Comment

Fred, below are the answers to your questions:
                                1. Unfortunately there is not a manual besides clicking on the help icons located throughout.
                                2. Unzip the runtime zip folder so you can select the runtime install EXE. Since this plugin creates 1 compressed executable, you do not want to include any zipped folders that are part of the setup process.
                                3. I do not include the files necessary b/c Inno publishes updated versions a lot and the minimum version required by this plugin is old. However, if you look under your "AppIn Files\Inno Setup Files" directory, you will find the Inno files I used to test this plugin. I just do not publish this b/c I would prefer that people download the updated files from Inno's website.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
                                Last edited by jhackney; 06-22-2018, 01:32 PM. Reason: wrong name in reply
                                Thanks,
                                James

Comment

Working...
                                X