Alpha DevCon 2018

Thread: Tablet Beta Contest Questions?

Alpha Software Employee Beta Spark's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Default Tablet Beta Contest Questions?

The Tablet Beta Contest deadline was extended to November 20. The dead line is coming up fast! There are only 20 business days before the contest ends.

As a quick poll, who is planning to submit their designs? Is there anything you need to help get you started?

Thanks!
    Sarah Mitchell

Looking for answers? Try our documentation.
    If you can't find something, let us know!

Real Name
    Russ Brown

Default Re: Tablet Beta Contest Questions?

I am planning on submitting my design. I'm using nights and weekends but I think it will still be a close call for me to make it by the 20th because my "day job" keeps getting in the way:) I'm going to focus on just 1 tablet form in the app to help reduce the amount of work. There are 10 forms altogether not counting a calendar. I am going to finish reviewing all the videos and notes in the pre-release notes again tomorrow as some of them I looked at a long time ago. What would help is having Beta 2 or Beta 3 - do you have an estimate for when either Beta will be ready?

Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

10 days remain before the contest deadline!

Don't forget to check out our resources thread for information about the tablet beta tools. If you have any questions, let us know.
    Sarah Mitchell

Real Name
    Russ Brown

I just wanted to let you know that I won't be submitting my design in time for the deadline this Friday after all because of a really full schedule. If the deadline was extended again I might make it. Sorry again.

Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Contest Update

We appreciate the submissions we've received so far. After talking with customers, we've decided to postpone the contest until the next beta is issued. We'll post an update when the beta is released.

Thank you.
    Sarah Mitchell

Real Name
    Russ Brown

Good news. thanks.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

I have to say that in trying to create a few formview controls I had some serious problems and quit. If I created the same controls from scratch they would work, but trying to add some to an existing form - they wouldn't. Even deleting the controls and copying them and pasting them into an existing UX, I still had issues.

I know it would be far more helpful to provide UX and send in an example of what isn't working but it's been about a week and I deleted the UX that was giving me hell. I chalked it up to the learning curve. What I wanted to do was take an existing UX and create some nifty ways to edit the data with formview builders. Does anyone know if you can open an old UX (created in prior releases) and add formview controls and have no issues?

Like I said I was able to get things working when I created the same exact same list control, and detail view in a new UX. Perhaps it was an anomoly, but if you cannot reuse old components I would want to know that and save my self the headache of trying to update others.

This is pertinent to the contest as I was hoping to edit my existing field tech app and enter it in the "contest" even though I just bought an ipad air2, lol...make it a year of free cloud hosting or subscription - I would really LOVE that!
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

Real Name
    Russ Brown

What will be in the next tablet beta? Curious if it will include Video and Audio....

Real Name
    Sarah Mitchell

Quote Originally Posted by RussSoftware View Post
    What will be in the next tablet beta? Curious if it will include Video and Audio....
    You can add video and audio now. You just need the feature keys to unlock them. I've sent them to you via PM. Anyone else interested in using these features, send me a private message and I'll send you the feature keys.

NOTE: Audio is not as far along as video. If you run into any problems, send us a note at tabletbeta[at]alphasoftware.com or post back here.

Thanks!
    Sarah Mitchell