Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Repeating Section With Nested One-to-one Link Fails to Insert Linked Record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeating Section With Nested One-to-one Link Fails to Insert Linked Record

Hi all, I would appreciate some commentary on an issue I've run into with Repeating Sections.

I have a database design which uses a very similar format to that of a typical order header table + order lines table format. In this simple case, I have been able to follow the available tutorials and commentary to make this scenario functional in a UX component using the repeating section. The system allows me to create a form which is bound to both the header and line items, fill in information, and submit new data to both tables using the built-in action scripting. All seems to work well.

My scenario, however, also has an additional table (extra data, let's say) which has a one to one relationship to the order lines in the above example. Alpha allows me to link (one-to-one) the extra data table nested under the the one-to-many link of the order lines in the data binding dialog, and also allows the creation of data bound controls. When generating the SQL insert statements, it appears that Alpha overlooks the fact that the extra data table even exists. The header record and multiple line item records are inserted, but the extra data is ignored. Consequently, when the form is refreshed the controls bound to the extra data table are cleared because the data was never inserted.

I have checked the SQL statements being executed, and it appears the extra data is not even considered. I ran a debug statement, and the extra data is present in the form submission.

Further, I manually created some record entries to simulate a proper set of data. When viewed for edit in the same UX, the extra data record is present and properly represented. I am also able to change data in the form and successfully submit the data to the database for update.

I am willing to produce a test project for review, or provide more information, but I was hoping someone would recognize this scenario and tell me I forgot to tighten the muffler bearing clamp. :)

I am running build 2999-4519. All testing has been done in the developer environment.
    I have also tested this in the latest pre-release build.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Re: Repeating Section With Nested One-to-one Link Fails to Insert Linked Record

I haven't done a structure like that before, but here are some things to think about:

How is the PK of the invoice child record (1st level) created?

My guess as to what is happening: When you insert the main invoice record, it generates a PK. That PK is then used to help create the child records. Those child records are then created and each child record has a PK. But Alpha doesn't do a third round of inserts, so far as I know. So if the PK of the child records isn't known up front, Alpha may not be able to create the third set.

If the PK of the third set was already known at the start (for instance, if the PK of the invoice line item was simply Invoice_num + line_product_id then Alpha would know the PK ahead of time and create the extra records also - but if it has to wait to find the PK, it may get lost.

Don't know if this is a bug or a limitation, if so - but something to look into.

For a test: Try creating a PK for the line records and the third table based solely on data except for the invoice_num and see if it works correctly.

If so, I would send the result to Alpha as a Bug and see what they have to say about it.

Comment

Logan, if you could provide a sample UX and tables that would help. When I've needed to go outside a normal process I've do so in code.

Comment

If you are referencing the PK anywhere in the child table (as bound) - try removing it as Alpha references it to commit the record, if you do it as well the SQL insert will fail.
        Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
        Albert Einstein, (attributed)
        US (German-born) physicist (1879 - 1955)

Comment

Thank you all for your responses. I have finished up an additional round of troubleshooting and have a couple conclusions. I will post what I found soon.

Comment

I have created a test database, project, and video to help illustrate the issue I'm dealing with. It seems like a bug, but I am also willing to accept the possibility of developer error. I'm still pretty new with Alpha so I wouldn't be surprised if I missed a setting somewhere.

Here is a dropbox link to the mySQL model, and a ZIP of the Alpha project in the video.

Here is a link to the video. Please note, I rushed myself a bit at the very end and forgot to type some text in the extra data field. You can still see a record was not inserted because the Extra Id field was not refreshed with any data.

Until I can get a solid answer on this topic, I have been able to create a workaround which requires manual creation of xbasic code. I will try to find some time this week to post an explanation.

Please let me know if any further information or clarification is required.

Comment

This may be an issue.
              2015-11-30_2108.png
              Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Comment

i don't know whether it is a bug or not.
                since these data are kept in memory and updated the primary key value of the child table is not available till the records are updated. since that is the linking field and is not available the grand child table is not updated even if properly data bound.
                the easy method will be to get the primary key of the child record and insert the data into the grand child table via xbasic .
                take a look at your video at 3:24 where you show the bindings for repeating section, the line item shows, not the extradata.
                so as far as the ux/dialog concerned extradata does not exist even if bound properly in the definition.
                Last edited by GGandhi; 11-30-2015, 08:34 AM.
                thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                mysql backend
                http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                [email protected]
                1 914 924 5171

Comment

if you do not want to hand code insertion to the third table ( grand child ) i think this needs to be done in three updatable grids.
                  parent updatable grid with row expander.
                  the row expander will hold the child grid with a row expander.
                  that row expander will hold the grand child grid.
                  since all the keys will inserted and available this should work. there were no need for me to do structure like that before so this is untested.
                  thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                  mysql backend
                  http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                  [email protected]
                  1 914 924 5171

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                    If you are referencing the PK anywhere in the child table (as bound) - try removing it as Alpha references it to commit the record, if you do it as well the SQL insert will fail.
                    My working project does have controls inserted into the form which reference the PKs, but they are set as non-updateable. If I understand non-updateable correctly, alpha will display bound information but will skip those fields when creating any SQL statements. To help eliminate this variable, I removed the bound controls to the PKs altogether, and the results were the same as shown in this video.
                    Last edited by lsummy; 11-30-2015, 02:48 PM. Reason: Forgot to insert quote from peteconway

Comment

Originally posted by peteconway View Post
                      This may be an issue.
                      [ATTACH]41341[/ATTACH]
                      I did try setting updatable to yes, and experienced the same results.

The SQL database is using Auto Increment INTs for the PK. It is my opinion that the non-updateable status should be set because the client should never attempt to update the PK field when it is managed directly by the database. It appears a bound control reference to the PK is not required at all in this case, and was only included for convenience. Given that, I completely removed the controls you are questioning and the results were the same as before. Thanks for the comment.

Comment

Sorry just looked at this with fresh eyes this morning - Selwyn once told me (years ago) you can't one-to-one on a third level of binding, you could get the same result using three lists (bound) each being a child of each other - lists work better in mobile.

Comment

when you have one-to-one links, the child tables are considered LOOKUP tables. you cannot enter new records into them. you need to have separate code to add records to the lookup tables.

for example, imagine you have "order_details" linked one-to-one to the "products" table.

in the order_details table you might have field called "product_id" that links to the "products" table.

if the user enters a value into the "product_id" field in "order_details" that does not match an EXISTING record in the "products" table, that should be considered an error. You could add code to your component to allow the user to add a new record to the "products" table and then the user would enter the "product_id" of the newly entered "products" record into the "product_id" field in the "order_details" records.

put another way, when you have one-to-one links you can only do INSERTS into the top-most parent table of the one-to-one linked tables.

Comment

Originally posted by Selwyn Rabins View Post
                            when you have one-to-one links, the child tables are considered LOOKUP tables. you cannot enter new records into them. you need to have separate code to add records to the lookup tables.

for example, imagine you have "order_details" linked one-to-one to the "products" table.

in the order_details table you might have field called "product_id" that links to the "products" table.

if the user enters a value into the "product_id" field in "order_details" that does not match an EXISTING record in the "products" table, that should be considered an error. You could add code to your component to allow the user to add a new record to the "products" table and then the user would enter the "product_id" of the newly entered "products" record into the "product_id" field in the "order_details" records.

put another way, when you have one-to-one links you can only do INSERTS into the top-most parent table of the one-to-one linked tables.
                            Thanks for taking the time to comment on this Selwyn. It looks like my application is a bit unusual, and I have tried to use this one-to-one link in a way that is outside the design intent. In my case, the one-to-one link is supposed to be transparently inserted right after its parent is created. That relationship is permanent, and never changes. It’s kind of like meta data for a record being stored in a separate table. I can, and have made this work in code using the ‘AfterRecordInsert’ event in the action scripting settings for ‘Save Submitted Data To Tables’.

One related question, UPDATING fields in a one-to-one linked record does seem to work okay. I assume this is the case since the relationship is already established, and a pre-existing record is there to update in the first place. I just want to be certain the ability to automatically update fields in a one-to-one linked record is intended behavior. The fact that the system allowed the update of a one-to-one linked record is what led me down the road to thinking the system should have also been inserting a new record also. This would make sense for my design case, but possibly not for the lookup scenario you describe above.

It appears there are some alternate design approaches I can take. (One being a change in database architecture.) The database design was actually carried over from a different system, so my goal was to see if I could fit it into the Alpha Anywhere design philosophy without making changes. Changes are okay in this case.

Thank you everyone for your time and comments.

Comment

yes, you are correct. you can UPDATE a record in a child one-to-one relationship because the parent record establishes the relationship to an existing record in the child table and so the update is allowed.

Comment

Working...
                              X