Alpha Video Training

Thread: Auto email notification issues

Real Name
    Tom Peterson

Default Auto email notification issues

We have an application being used by approximately 10 users in multiple offices, where upon the addition of a new record and upon a specific change to a record an email is supposed to be generated and sent. This works, but fails quite a bit, which is problematic. It might be a browser issue, but it's not as if only some people with certain browsers are experiencing the issue, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

Prior to REALLY digging into all the variables that might be causing this, does anyone know of known issues, constraints or incompatibilities with Alpha's email functionality?

What would be the short list of the most likely culprits of this issue?

Thanks in advance.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

Default Re: Auto email notification issues

With so many different ways to accomplish this, I think for anyone to REALLY give you a good guess they would need to have a brief outline of how your doing it.
    I would imagine it is an xbasic function...and if so the code will run every time. What I have seen as a potential bottle neck on the forums here is the actual mail server and peoples mail handling AFTER the fact, ie goes to junk or spam folder.
    Remember, your code is probably executing the same every time. The issue will be in the stopping points - which are often outside of our control.

There was one thread here awhile back which was purporting that certain areas of the country were blocking Mandrill mail due to spam - or something like that --------- so often, it is not the code at fault when it comes to the email delivery.

Nothing worse than intermittent issues!
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

Real Name
    Tom Peterson

Default Re: Auto email notification issues

Thanks Charles. Our app is using Mandrill, so I checked the thread you mentioned. My takeaway from that was that our very low volume of emails might be, at times, caught in spamming stoppages due to other high volume Mandrill users. Does that sound like a plausible possibility? That would explain the hit-or-miss nature of our email delivery.

One other piece of info that might be helpful is that the Alpha app will near immediately notify the user whether the email was sent, or not. So, it's not as if Alpha "thinks" the email was sent only to be unknowingly blocked somewhere down the line. Would that be the Mandrill interface providing instant feedback to Alpha regarding the status of the email?

As my ignorance indicates, I'm not the developer, but do want to try and help solve this issue. Thanks again.