Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Quickbooks Online Integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quickbooks Online Integration

Hi Everyone,

Would love to see Alpha integrate with Quickbooks Online. There is a Node.JS plugin out there so with Alpha's support of Node.JS all the building blocks are there. But QB online is a bit more complex since you need to first create a connection token etc.

I don't have the time to research and build this myself, nor do I want to spend the $$ all by myself to hire someone to do it.

Anyone else out there who would want this feature interested in pooling some money together and hiring someone to do it?

Cheers,

Scott

Re: Quickbooks Online Integration

Looks like it's very well documented. I've done a couple of accounting api integrations and if they're well documented that's half the battle. The worst part is usually the authentication... but this one looks ok. You have your keys... use them to get your auth tokens... use the tokens to set/get data.

You'd have to determine specifically what you wanted implemented.

Comment

Hi David,

Thanks for the input, I think your definition of easy might be slightly different then mine :)...basically I want to allow my clients to transfer their invoices and payments to QBO...

Comment

Overall, it doesn't look out of the ordinary. I did one accounting api that was a mess. Poorly documented, and the auth system was all over the place.

Generally... I just love api's. If they're nicely documented they are a treat to work with. You could get this done with node.js or XBasic. The calls to the api for invoices and payments look very straight forward. Maybe not easy :) but not horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by ssmoore1 View Post
          Hi Everyone,

Would love to see Alpha integrate with Quickbooks Online. There is a Node.JS plugin out there so with Alpha's support of Node.JS all the building blocks are there. But QB online is a bit more complex since you need to first create a connection token etc.

I don't have the time to research and build this myself, nor do I want to spend the $$ all by myself to hire someone to do it.

Anyone else out there who would want this feature interested in pooling some money together and hiring someone to do it?

Cheers,

Scott
          I have asked for this for some time, tried to roll my own, finally gave up and wrote our QBO app (listed on AppCenter) in C# with a third-party framework. Probably a better option at this time for us as when we run into an Alpha problem (whether actual bug or pilot error) the support is limited. If the good folks on this Board have run into the problem before then fine, usually we can correct things at our end. If not then we're at the mercy of the (seemingly) random postings by Alpha employees.

So QBO integration would be nice but at this point I'm not certain I'd want to risk such a crucial app on Alpha, as support with our C# third-party framework is stellar. Don't get me wrong, Alpha enables us to be orders of magnitude more productive, as long as it doesn't "act up". :)

Just my honest opinion.

Comment

4 years later the original post is still an excellent idea. I have users bailing because they don't want to do double data entry. While I have long agreed with the idea that accounting should be a separate system, a builder in AS to sync data such as Customers & Invoices with quickbooks-online via nodeJS would be an incredible gem for app development. Its probably the one thing that no other app development software offers, especially for saas apps where the authentication would contain a variable.
            It would be great to "sync" an invoice to QB online from my application using a builder, even as simple as the stripe integration but I must say even that was a bit short on features but it was a start from which many people were able to expand on with fairly simple skilz
            NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Originally posted by CharlesParker View Post
              I have users bailing because they don't want to do double data entry.
              Quickbooks online has a REST API you might be able to use. https://www.developer.intuit.com/app...o/docs/develop
              There is also a QODBC driver some have used https://qodbc.com/
              https://appsbydesign.co.uk/

Comment

yep. aware of both - hoping for an integrated builder from AS someday! With so many developers wanting it for so many years and as stated earlier - the building blocks all seem to be there, I hope they will prioritize it. If enough of us show interest they just might, as over the years they consistently are looking for ways to improve the product!
                NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

There are 2 - 3rd party apps (and probably more?) that can do this: Transaction Importer Pro and Zed Axis by Zed-Systems. Both have command line options which should make scripting with xbasic a bit easier.

Zed is a bit easier to use and less expensive (no subscription required).
                  Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

I think Al Buchholz is our quickbooks expert.
                    Gregg
                    https://paiza.io is a great site to test and share sql code

Comment

Alpha isn't going to do an interface to QuickBooks (in my never to bee humble opinion). It's too much maintenance.

And no one else has written a generic load because it's too much maintenance to keep up with the ongoing changes that QuickBooks makes.

Robin's suggestion is good. They have a big enough clientele to support it. Or float me 7 digits of money and we can talk.
                      Al Buchholz
                      Bookwood Systems, LTD
                      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
                      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
                      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
                      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
                      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
                      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

I don't know how many businesses use QuickBooks online. I use QB Pro desktop version, because I don't trust Intuit with financial data. And I don't need my users to have direct access to change things in QB either. It is not difficult to write code to produce a QB import file. That's what I use. A couple of clicks and your transactions are in QB. No double entry.

Comment

your saying export an excel file - import same?

Comment

It is a tab delimited text file, with a .iif file extension. It can be viewed with Excel, or you can create an excel file and save it as a tab delimited file. It is well documented in Quickbooks help.

Comment

Working...
                            X