Alpha Video Training

Thread: Quickbooks Online Integration

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Default Quickbooks Online Integration

Hi Everyone,

Would love to see Alpha integrate with Quickbooks Online. There is a Node.JS plugin out there so with Alpha's support of Node.JS all the building blocks are there. But QB online is a bit more complex since you need to first create a connection token etc.

I don't have the time to research and build this myself, nor do I want to spend the $$ all by myself to hire someone to do it.

Anyone else out there who would want this feature interested in pooling some money together and hiring someone to do it?

Cheers,

Scott

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Quickbooks Online Integration

Looks like it's very well documented. I've done a couple of accounting api integrations and if they're well documented that's half the battle. The worst part is usually the authentication... but this one looks ok. You have your keys... use them to get your auth tokens... use the tokens to set/get data.

You'd have to determine specifically what you wanted implemented.

Real Name
    Scott Moore

Hi David,

Thanks for the input, I think your definition of easy might be slightly different then mine :)...basically I want to allow my clients to transfer their invoices and payments to QBO...

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Overall, it doesn't look out of the ordinary. I did one accounting api that was a mess. Poorly documented, and the auth system was all over the place.

Generally... I just love api's. If they're nicely documented they are a treat to work with. You could get this done with node.js or XBasic. The calls to the api for invoices and payments look very straight forward. Maybe not easy :) but not horrible.

Real Name
    Norman K

Quote Originally Posted by ssmoore1 View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Would love to see Alpha integrate with Quickbooks Online. There is a Node.JS plugin out there so with Alpha's support of Node.JS all the building blocks are there. But QB online is a bit more complex since you need to first create a connection token etc.

I don't have the time to research and build this myself, nor do I want to spend the $$ all by myself to hire someone to do it.

Anyone else out there who would want this feature interested in pooling some money together and hiring someone to do it?

Cheers,

Scott
    I have asked for this for some time, tried to roll my own, finally gave up and wrote our QBO app (listed on AppCenter) in C# with a third-party framework. Probably a better option at this time for us as when we run into an Alpha problem (whether actual bug or pilot error) the support is limited. If the good folks on this Board have run into the problem before then fine, usually we can correct things at our end. If not then we're at the mercy of the (seemingly) random postings by Alpha employees.

So QBO integration would be nice but at this point I'm not certain I'd want to risk such a crucial app on Alpha, as support with our C# third-party framework is stellar. Don't get me wrong, Alpha enables us to be orders of magnitude more productive, as long as it doesn't "act up". :)

Just my honest opinion.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

4 years later the original post is still an excellent idea. I have users bailing because they don't want to do double data entry. While I have long agreed with the idea that accounting should be a separate system, a builder in AS to sync data such as Customers & Invoices with quickbooks-online via nodeJS would be an incredible gem for app development. Its probably the one thing that no other app development software offers, especially for saas apps where the authentication would contain a variable.
    It would be great to "sync" an invoice to QB online from my application using a builder, even as simple as the stripe integration but I must say even that was a bit short on features but it was a start from which many people were able to expand on with fairly simple skilz
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Real Name
    mumfie

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesParker View Post
    I have users bailing because they don't want to do double data entry.
    Quickbooks online has a REST API you might be able to use. https://www.developer.intuit.com/app...o/docs/develop
    There is also a QODBC driver some have used https://qodbc.com/

Real Name
    Charles Parker

yep. aware of both - hoping for an integrated builder from AS someday! With so many developers wanting it for so many years and as stated earlier - the building blocks all seem to be there, I hope they will prioritize it. If enough of us show interest they just might, as over the years they consistently are looking for ways to improve the product!
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Real Name
    Robin

There are 2 - 3rd party apps (and probably more?) that can do this: Transaction Importer Pro and Zed Axis by Zed-Systems. Both have command line options which should make scripting with xbasic a bit easier.

Zed is a bit easier to use and less expensive (no subscription required).
    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Gregg Schmidt

I think Al Buchholz is our quickbooks expert.

Volunteer Moderator
    Real Name
    Alan Buchholz

Alpha isn't going to do an interface to QuickBooks (in my never to bee humble opinion). It's too much maintenance.

And no one else has written a generic load because it's too much maintenance to keep up with the ongoing changes that QuickBooks makes.

Robin's suggestion is good. They have a big enough clientele to support it. Or float me 7 digits of money and we can talk.
    Al Buchholz
    Bookwood Systems, LTD
    Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
    Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
    Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
    When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.

Real Name
    Joe Lavely

I don't know how many businesses use QuickBooks online. I use QB Pro desktop version, because I don't trust Intuit with financial data. And I don't need my users to have direct access to change things in QB either. It is not difficult to write code to produce a QB import file. That's what I use. A couple of clicks and your transactions are in QB. No double entry.

Real Name
    Charles Parker

your saying export an excel file - import same?

Real Name
    Joe Lavely

It is a tab delimited text file, with a .iif file extension. It can be viewed with Excel, or you can create an excel file and save it as a tab delimited file. It is well documented in Quickbooks help.