Alpha Video Training

Thread: Alpha updates to built in jQuery version? What's the way to update it ourselves?

Real Name
    Michael Merlin

Default Alpha updates to built in jQuery version? What's the way to update it ourselves?

I just learned of jsfiddle.net which is an awesome site!

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/al....php?100161#11

I noticed that the highest version number of the jQuery library supported on their site at the moment is version 2.1.0

But when I view source on my Alpha generated app, and click through to the .js file, I see currently we are using version 1.8.2 of jQuery.

Does anyone here update their jQuery library ahead of Alpha's official release schedule?

And if you do, please share the steps (i.e. where to place the new .js file, I guess...)

Are there any reasons to not update jQuery to the latest version?

I'm just curious that's all, it's not a major problem, because the older version of jQuery we are using at the moment does seem to be working quite nicely.

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

Default Re: Alpha updates to built in jQuery version? What's the way to update it ourselves?

It depends a bit on what you're doing, but normally I would go to this site and grab the latest jQuery and jQuery UI to include in an a5w page. These script tags link to a Google hosted copy.

https://developers.google.com/speed/...evguide#jquery

<script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.11.1/jquery.min.js"></script>
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.10.4/themes/smoothness/jquery-ui.css" />
    <script src="//ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.10.4/jquery-ui.min.js"></script>

These support the latest 1.x version. You'll need to read the info on jQuery 2.x to ensure it's what you want since 2.1 doesn't support IE 6,7,8.

When a new version is out I only need to change the version number in the script tag.

Real Name
    Michael Merlin

Default Re: Alpha updates to built in jQuery version? What's the way to update it ourselves?

Hi David,

Interesting info thanks

But should I then tell my alpha app to de-list the reference to the default 1.8.2 library in every page also then? (or app-wide preferably)

I don't want my pages loading two versions of the same JS library

On a personal note, in your apps have you ever included a more recent jQuery library than the default one supplied with Alpha?

And if so what was the reason? (e.g. new feature/function?)

I know you are quite happy to include other JS libraries (your post and video about the moment.js library was very cool, I will use that one day for sure)

I'm just not sure how to go about replacing a default alpha-included JavaScript library with a newer version.

Good to know that IE8 won't support jQuery 2.x although that doesn't affect me. I suspect that Alpha will keep their standard jQuery at below 2.x for quite some time though because of that reason (maximum compatibility)

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    David Kates

In the Web Control Panel, under Project Properties, you can set the jQuery libraries to none.

Instead of using the script tags to load jQuery in your pages, you're probably better off selecting the option in Project Properties to Load from Google... and then specifying the version you want to load. Have a look at the built-in help descriptions for these options... great info there.

If you'd rather load jQuery through a page then, for example, in an Alpha generated a5w page I usually put the jQuery script tags just before the <head> tag.

I usually load the current version of jQuery... just because it's the current version. I've never had an issue doing this.

Real Name
    Michael Merlin

Awesome thanks David!

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

I was just researching an issue I have with my ipad. When I try to use the time pickers (standard alpha ones) in a grid that is embedded in a UX, they disappear before I can make a selection. They appear and then disappear. I used google chrome on my desktop and using inspect element I see an error that appears to be in the jQuery Javascript Library
    "Uncaught TypeError: cannot read property 'tagname' of undefined f.extend.clean @ jquery.min.js:18"
    thoughts or ideas?
    NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"