Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

a5 function notes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a5 function notes

As some of you may know, I built an A5v5_Help.hlp file many years ago. It was eventually updated to include most of the A5v6 functions and a lot of v7 and v8 functions. However, there were 2 issues with it (1) it was a .hlp file and all the new files are .chm and (2) the source files got corrupted and I can't even update the existing .hlp file anymore.

SO, I started a new .chm "Help" file about 5 years ago. After starting to copy and paste a lot of the help info from my original file, I decided that was too time consuming and a waste of time because most of my help info already existed in the latest .chm file from A5 and, now, on the Wiki.

HOWEVER, I was still running into 3 or 4 problems:
    1. Some functions do strange/unexpected things and I would forget about the issues and/or solutions between uses.
    2. Some functions are much faster than other similar functions and I don't always remember which ones are faster.
    3. Some function info is very hard to find unless you already know the exact spelling of a function. The keywords in the A5 help files were apparently selected automatically and include a lot of junk but don't include other possible synonyms. For example, looking up "delete" probably won't find the "word_remove" functions so you won't find them unless you already know their names.
    4. This is related to #3 - Even if you've entered a search word that will list the function you are looking for, many times that function is in a list of 500 hits (it seems to stop at 500 so there might actually be more) making it very hard to find the function you want.

So, I've been building an A5_function_notes "help" file that can be accessed here:
    www.aimsdc.net/a5_function_notes/Index.htm
    - The keywords are entered manually and include synonyms where applicable. In other words, the keywords are applicable.
    - Items that are hard to find are listed so you can at least find out what the function name is. (You will have to use A5's Help/Wiki in many cases to get more details about the function - adding that was just too time consuming.)
    - Comments about strange or unexpected results are shown in red.
    - Note that it does not include all A5 functions - only those that I've found hard to locate or where I want to add more comments about issues or speed.

Let me know once in awhile if you use it and find it useful. The more people find it useful, the more I'm likely to update the on-line version. It does take some time and I don't want to waste time if it isn't worthwhile.

IMPORTANT:
    The Contents page is VERY limited but you should at least go there and read the "About" page. Because the Contents page is so limited, use the Index or Search tabs to find things. You may also find the "Change History" page on the Contents tab useful.

If you find things that you think would be worth adding to this file, let me know. But I reserve the right to decide what I will include and when I will get around to adding it.

Disclaimer: There are no guarantees of accuracy. I believe everything to be accurate but you may find errors; if so, let me know. Sometimes there are changes with newer versions of A5 than when the text was written and sometimes things work differently on different operating systems. 100% accuracy is hard to achieve.

EDIT: Oops, something is wrong and it's not showing anything added after 2012. I'll get it fixed as soon as I can.
    Last edited by CALocklin; 01-06-2016, 08:04 PM.

Re: a5 function notes

Cal,

As always, thanks for your continuing contributions.

Stan
    There can be only one.

Comment

Where's the LIKE! button???
      Al Buchholz
      Bookwood Systems, LTD
      Weekly QReportBuilder Webinars Thursday 1 pm CST

Occam's Razor - KISS
      Normalize till it hurts - De-normalize till it works.
      Advice offered and questions asked in the spirit of learning how to fish is better than someone giving you a fish.
      When we triage a problem it is much easier to read sample systems than to read a mind.
      "Make it as simple as possible, but not simpler."
      Albert Einstein

http://www.iadn.com/images/media/iadn_member.png

Comment

Nice job, Cal.
        Peter
        AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
        https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Thanks Cal
          Dave Mason
          [email protected]
          Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Great idea and a great way to share this type of information.

In that spirit I have the following tidbit. I leave it to you if you want to add it.

The evaluate_template function and the evaluate_template_private function both show [,c macro1[,...c macro]] in the pop-up help.

However this is not documented in any documentation that I could find. I think the following code shows how it can be used.

I'll leave it to others to decide if it is useful.

Code:
            DIM Name as C = "Smith"
            DIM Result as C
            DIM xBasic as C = "Result = \"The Patient last name is: <1>\"" 
            evaluate_template(xBasic,"<1>="+Name)
            ? Result
            = "The Patient last name is: Smith"

Comment

Thanks Cal, Nice Work!

Mike
              Mike Reed
              Phoenix, AZ

Comment

Cal - This is like seeing an old friend again. I'm anxious to take a look. Thank You very much. ~ Tom

Comment

Wow! Thanks for the quick feedback.

It turns out it had the latest data all along - except it wasn't showing the latest "change history" page on my browser. Refreshing the page didn't work because refreshing that page simply refreshed the Index page rather than the topic page. I had to actually clear the browser cache in order to see the latest updates.

THIS IS IMPORTANT because I intend to update it periodically and you may have to do the same with your browser.

I've also added Paul's comments about the Evaluate_template() functions.
                  Last edited by CALocklin; 01-07-2016, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Stupendous Cal
                    very rich in information - and readable. Kudos to you.
                    Much appreciated.

Comment

Outstanding! Well done and thank you Cal!
                      Glen Schild

My Blog

Comment

Cal,

Thanks! This looks to be very useful.

-- tom

Comment

Cal,

Many thanks. What a great gift to start the New Year.
                          Regards
                          Keith Hubert
                          Alpha Guild Member
                          London.
                          KHDB Management Systems
                          Skype = keith.hubert

For your day-to-day Needs, you Need an Alpha Database!

Comment

Cal - Thanks for this, very helpful. I'm not in this league, above responders, but sincerely appreciate your work. I know your wx has been extremely bad but hows the instrument ticket coming?

Comment

Got my instrument rating last spring and my first two cross country flights after that were planned for what was supposed to be a nice day but ended up requiring some IFR time to complete - including one approach in about a 500' ceiling. So the rating came in handy right away.

Comment

Working...
                              X