Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Mandrill changing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandrill changing

I'm not sure I can use it any more, after April.
    You have to have lists - I don't have any lists! And sounds very very complicated.

Does anyone know of a service that does NOT require lists?
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Re: Mandrill changing

They are probably running into the Blacklisted IP's problems.

I did not ever use mandrill, but a different one. It was simple and found it by way of a Joomla Plugin for emails.
    I will try to find it for you and others if I can.

I use acymailing and they have or use elastic mail on Joomla web sites??
    Been a year since I sent 50, 000 emails out in bulk there and do not remember using elastic mail. I did it with my own php mail from my server at 180 per hour. The allowed is 200, but safety says....

That may not help your emailing troubles though.
    Last edited by DaveM; 02-25-2016, 12:54 AM.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Mandrill emails is not free any more

I just got this email today

Mandrill
      Hello <email address removed>,

We're writing to let you know about some significant changes that will affect your Mandrill account.

Going forward, all Mandrill users will be required to have a paid monthly MailChimp account and verify ownership of all sending domains. Here's the timeline: Starting 3/16, all new Mandrill users will create accounts through MailChimp, and current Mandrill users can merge their existing Mandrill account with a monthly MailChimp account. Current users will have until 4/27 to merge their accounts.

Why we're making this change

The MailChimp team built Mandrill in 2012 as a transactional email tool. Mandrill has always been under the MailChimp umbrella, but it has functioned as a completely separate product. Mandrill is now becoming an optional add-on to paid MailChimp accounts. This is a strategic change we're making to close the gap between the two products and focus on the MailChimp marketing platform. MailChimp is designed for marketing, and Mandrill is designed for transactional messages. Each is powerful on its own, and offering Mandrill as an add-on makes MailChimp even more powerful for our small business and e-commerce customers. Our CEO and cofounder Ben Chestnut wrote more about the changes on the MailChimp blog.

What you need to know

The application's functionality and look and feel are not changing at this time. Here are the important changes that will affect your account:

Starting today, Mandrill will adopt MailChimp's Terms of Use and Acceptable Use Policy. These terms reinforce that Mandrill should be used for transactional email, and bulk email/email marketing campaigns should be sent through MailChimp. In addition, MailChimp's Privacy Policy, which has always covered Mandrill, has been updated. If you have any questions about our policy changes, please email [email protected].
      To continue using Mandrill, all users will be required to have a paid monthly MailChimp account by 4/27.
      All Mandrill users will be required to verify their sending domains and add SPF and DKIM records by 4/27. This is already in effect for new Mandrill users.
      Starting 3/16, all new Mandrill accounts will be created and accessed through MailChimp.
      Starting 3/16, the Mandrill mobile application will no longer be available for installation. It will remain functional for existing users until 4/27.
      Our billing and pricing model is also changing. MailChimp will generate one consolidated bill that covers your MailChimp and Mandrill charges. Mandrill credits will be sold in blocks of 25,000 emails. Blocks will start at $20 per month. This goes into effect once your accounts are merged.
      Any existing discounts, free credits, and free accounts will no longer be valid once your accounts are merged.
      What you need to do

If you already have a paid monthly MailChimp account, you?ll be able to merge your accounts starting on 3/16. We?ll send detailed instructions at that time.
      If you don't have a paid monthly MailChimp account and decide to create one, you can go to mailchimp.com and do so at any time. You'll be able to merge your accounts starting on 3/16. We'll send detailed instructions at that time.
      If you haven't already done so, you'll need to add SPF and DKIM records and verify ownership of your sending domains. Here's an article explaining how to do that. Starting 4/27, Mandrill will not send any email from unverified domains or domains without valid SPF and DKIM records, including public domains like gmail.com and yahoo.com.
      If you don't have a paid monthly MailChimp account merged with your Mandrill account by 4/27, then your Mandrill account will be disabled.

If you have questions or need technical support, please log in to your Mandrill account and click Support in your dashboard. We've made support available to all users on free and paid accounts.

We know this is disruptive, and we understand that it may affect your decision to use Mandrill. Please know that we carefully considered these changes. The new structure will allow us to create more flexible products and better serve our customers. Thanks for using Mandrill, and we hope to welcome you to MailChimp soon.

- The Mandrill team
      ? 2001-2016 MailChimp?, All Rights Reserved.
      675 Ponce De Leon Ave NE ? Suite 5000 ? Atlanta, GA 30308 USA
      Last edited by Lenny Forziati; 02-25-2016, 12:07 PM. Reason: removed actual email address of user
      To live anywhere in the world today and be against equality because of race or color is like living in Alaska and being against snow.�

- William Faulkner

Comment

All Mandrill users will be required to verify their sending domains and add SPF and DKIM records by 4/27. This is already in effect for new Mandrill users.
        so they can use your domain IP address for spamming emails sent by you.

Why not just use your own hosting to send the emails and skip them? Alpha desktop does this for me now when I need to send a business email and Joomla with acymailing handles the heavy sends for me.
        ACYmailing cost me about 60.00 one time and does a beautiful job on any size mailing.

You can also get PHPmailer for free and install it in a different folder for heavy mailings of 1 to whatever.

Understand!! Your IP is in jeapordy if you are spamming. It could get blacklisted.
        Dave Mason
        [email protected]
        Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

They provide dedicated ip service
          That's understandable to pay for
          But
          Changing the terms like that is very stupid action

The problem is send_email function on alpha with web
          Lot of times do not work it's not stable
          I have to find a way to resolve this issue

Please share for replacement on service if there is any
          To live anywhere in the world today and be against equality because of race or color is like living in Alaska and being against snow.�

- William Faulkner

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
            so they can use your domain IP address for spamming emails sent by you.

Why not just use your own hosting to send the emails and skip them? Alpha desktop does this for me now when I need to send a business email and Joomla with acymailing handles the heavy sends for me.
            ACYmailing cost me about 60.00 one time and does a beautiful job on any size mailing.

You can also get PHPmailer for free and install it in a different folder for heavy mailings of 1 to whatever.

Understand!! Your IP is in jeapordy if you are spamming. It could get blacklisted.
            PHPmailer lookds fantastic to me ...
            thanks for the tip Dave

- William Faulkner

Comment

Hard to find anything good in old Mandrill. If some one after reading the license still wants to send emails using Mandrill is a total mystery to me. Spammers I understand but not others.

Comment

Well, the problem for me is that we don't have "lists." We don't have domains. We send emails one-at-a-time. Sometimes 1, sometimes 25 to 50. We are emailing invoices and statements. Mandrill is perfect for us. I emailed support, but have not heard back yet. The most ever sent in a 30 day period was 4,700.

Will look at
                Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
                972 524 8714
                [email protected]

Comment

I use Mandrill and just started using MailChimp, both free accounts at my volume. I figured eventually they would start to charge for basic accounts. But I will spend the money because nothing out there beats using Mandrill. I use Mandrill's WebHooks feature to automatically deal with email bounces for my client. As soon as they send email that bounces, Mandrill fires a POST to my website listener with the bounce information, and I match the reported email address back to the Customer Record and the app then shows which Customers have bad email addresses.

But I also use it like Martin for adhoc SMTP server for general use, so not sure if that will be impacted.
                  Steve Wood
                  See my profile on IADN

Comment

@ Martin,
                    I feel for you. There are hosts that give you "just email domains". I do not know how much they cost(never did that) because I always had a website up somewhere with hosting.
                    1 is here: https://www.namecheap.com/hosting/email.aspx There may be others that are a lot cheaper. This one is about 10.00 per year and a domain name is about 12.00 or you may be able to get something on a special.
                    But bet there are others. Always ask the host what the limits are before you sign up like how many per hour and per day.

I use namecheap because they are very rarely down and they have 24/7 support where you can talk directly to them.
                    Dave Mason
                    [email protected]
                    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Biggest frustration I have over this is the very short timeframe before they implement their changes. Would be nice to have 3 months notice..instead of two.

Comment

Sounds familiar.
                        Steve Wood
                        See my profile on IADN

Comment

My application works great with my mandrill account. I send less than 10 emails a month through it, so I am not to excited about paying much of a fee...
                          NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Originally posted by aal_fareed View Post
                            PHPmailer lookds fantastic to me ...
                            thanks for the tip Dave
                            If you think this is great(and it is) you should see what can be done with http://www.acymailing.com. It is so far advanced, not funny!

For those that need:
                            Here is one list of sms providers. I have not checked any pricing.
                            https://www.acyba.com/acysms/gateways.html

By the way, Joomla is free and is installable to windows or Linux servers. acymailing can be installed for about $35.00USD ont time to start.

From their site:

Easily test your Newsletters with our integrated Spam test
                            Don't bother sending your own server and plug AcyMailing to an external SMTP server or one of our delivery partners
                            Sign all your messages with DKIM
                            Make sure your emails are legitimate with the SPF / Sender-ID validation
                            Last edited by DaveM; 02-26-2016, 12:16 AM.
                            Dave Mason
                            [email protected]
                            Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Looks like its going to run 20 bucks a month...so looks like I will be going back to using my own email account. Maybe folks like me were just bleeding them dry. I find it odd that they give away the first 12k emails for free with mailchimp, but my mandrill account sending out less than 10 emails would require a fee. Seems like a fine to use the service.
                              NWCOPRO: Nuisance Wildlife Control Software My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "Without forgetting, we would have no memory at all...now what was I saying?"

Comment

Working...
                              X