Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Has anyone else found it difficult to move up to Alpha Anywhere because of cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else found it difficult to move up to Alpha Anywhere because of cost?

I have been with Alpha5 since version 6. I currently still develop web apps in version 11. Since the move to Alpha 12 (Alpha Anywhere) I can not afford to continue advancing along with alpha versions. For me Alpha Anywhere is 15X more expensive then Alpha 5V11 developer and WAS put together and that is only one year. They basically priced an academic and freelance developer like me out of their product. I seem to remember there were a lot of people like me using the product. Have they all gone or are they somehow affording Alpha Anywhere?

Re: Has anyone else found it difficult to move up to Alpha Anywhere because of cost?

Alpha has indicated that they are targeting the "enterprise" corporate world. Hence price is no object (apparently). Unless you're making sufficient money using Alpha somehow, it may be difficult to justify the extremely high prices that they seem to be charging these days. But if you are really interested, call sales and see what they offer. Maybe you'll get a deal as a long time user?
    Peter
    AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
    https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Re: Has anyone else found it difficult to move up to Alpha Anywhere because of cost?

I am a new Alpha customer and so I cannot comment on what they used to charge. However I can say in that evaluating well over 75 products over a 6 month period and ultimately arriving at Alpha Anywhere there are by far and away one of the most reasonably priced products in terms of value on return. I found a few cheaper products, but the cost was not that much lower and when comparing what I was able to produce from demoing the lower cost products there ultimately was no comparison.

Can you imagine the time and effort that goes into making a development tool that handles web, mobile, and desktop with disconnected mobile built in? There is a very high cost to this and I can tell you from experience that if they aren't charging enough to stay competitive and continually advancing the product they face extinction as was the case with the product I used prior to Alpha Anywhere. The other company priced themselves too low and ultimately had to close rather abruptly.

Comment

Nice to here Jeremy, can I ask which version are you using now?

Comment

I am new as of new today, so I am/will be using Alpha Anywhere V3. I just downloaded the product although I utilized the full 30 day trial.

I got prices on other software that makes Alpha look like a steal. Anywhere from 10,000 per year, 12,000 per year, 35,000 per year, 50,000 per year all the way up to 200,000 per year.

Comment

There is three versions available so which one are you interested?

Comment

Alpha is facing around 3000 competitors out there at this stage. A lot of them are upstarts and some are much older than 10 years. some are totally open source. It is hard to strike a balance of price and hard coding work.

The newer ones are touting JS on both front and back ends. No PHP or other between forms and db.
              Most all web side adheres to js, html5, jquery and css3 for much of the workload as I see it. That includes alpha.
              Dave Mason
              [email protected]
              Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

scrimej:
                that's an average of 13 products/month. It takes me at least 3 to 4 weeks to evaluate a product (some took me well over a month) - you must be quite a genius.

Cars vary price in price from $3000 to $2.3million, depends on what you want to do with it vs the size of your bank acct.

Comment

most cars will get you from point A to Point B. The style/speed you wish get there can cost more.
                  Last edited by DaveM; 03-01-2016, 04:21 PM.
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                    most cars will bet you from point A to Point B.
                    Lets just leave Fiat 500L out from this speculation.

Comment

They basically priced an academic and freelance developer like me out of their product
                      it is not their intention, with the ever changing market place and technology and just to keep up with that, they need more programmers with expertise in that area so naturally the price has gone up. they did not intentionally keep the price up to keep out mom and pop programmers or the ones who wrote their own software because they did not like what is available outside, it just happens. ( this is my humble opinion, not researched to come to the conclusion). if alpha does not improve their product they will be extinct, with the improvement the price has gone up too.

while alpha, probably, is best for the price, it also probably out of reach for many people too. like anything else you will be the one to judge which software is best suited for your own purpose. if you are wondering whatever happened to lots of programmers who used to be on the board. I am sure some moved away, some retired, some no longer post or not able to post.

c'est la vie!
                      thanks for reading

gandhi

version 11 3381 - 4096
                      mysql backend
                      http://www.alphawebprogramming.blogspot.com
                      [email protected]
                      1 914 924 5171

Comment

The word evaluation is defined as follows:

"the making of a judgment about the amount, number, or value of something; assessment."

You are making assumptions about many things in your reply. An hands on evaluation of that many products for sure is not possible in 6 months. However a combination of being in the field for over 20 years, being with the same company for the past 12 years, and understanding technological and budgetary restrictions in place would mean that I didn't have to do a hands on trial of all 75 products which would have ultimately wasted valuable time I spent on deeper evaluations of products that did meet our requirements.

Several Factors that would immediately disqualify a vendor:
                        1) Price - Anything over 15,000 per year was immediately out no matter how great the product
                        2) Licensing - Anything requiring per user license fees was not a fit for us
                        3) Deployment - Cloud only solutions would not work for us, we needed to host the solution in our own environment
                        4) Perceived quality of finished product

Of the 75 products I looked at and spoke with representatives on, I selected a dozen or so for vendor demos. Of these only 5 products left enough of an impression to do a farther full hands on trial. I was not sitting around until the end and was learning more and more through the whole process. I assume that you would have approached things differently and certainly there is no exact science for meeting every need in every situation for every company/developer.

Wrapping us here, my point is that in order to find a product that handles web, mobile, desktop, disconnected mobile etc sub 15,000 per year with onsite deployment and no per user licensing costs resulted in a very short list that met my requirements. In direct response to your assumption of my intellect, no I am not a genius. However, I do consider myself somewhere between above average but certainly short of genius, smart enough and respected enough to be given the sole responsibility to select a development tool that my company will use for a decade or better. I was not given time limits as to how long I should spend, just that I was comfortable in my recommendation working within the constraints I've previously referenced. If you would like further proof, a copy of my notes with all 75 products, people I spoke with, reasons they were non contenders, the 6 products that made the final cut and were given an in depth look, and the actual ones I installed and worked hands on with I'd be happy to provide that to you. You don't need to be a genius to understand that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hansolo View Post
                          They basically priced an academic and freelance developer like me out of their product. I seem to remember there were a lot of people like me using the product.
                          The new pricing model with three different flavors (about 1500/2500/8000) makes developer to a situation that Alpha is not so interested product anymore. For example to get Amazon S3 Storage Integration and OData and Rest Services Integration the price is about 8000. So in practice you do not have those features anymore. Also Phonegap and Offline sync is now 2500 just for developers license. So from developers point of view the subscription license is now so expensive that it leads to the fact that it just makes sense to skip one year and then maybe buy a new license. But no hurry. And you do not miss much because in one year period we get just one stable version.

And as I have mentioned before if you are using basic version all the further development goes to the pro and enterprise flavor. You get very little new features with the price of 1500 so again it is just better to skip than subscribe. I wonder have Alpha really though this change carefully and it impacts in long term.

Comment

Now I understand the question. I am using the middle product at 2500.

Comment

Jeremy,
                              You might not be a genius (or maybe you are! :-) ), but there is no doubt you have a well ordered mind.Your methodology and exposition of the evaluation and selection of candidate products is instructive and can be used as a template.

Alpha Five is a great product/platform for the enterprise or for those independent developers who have a good client base and can afford the new pricing structure. From what I have read and my own lucubrations, I suspect quite a number of Alpha Five developers have been "expelled" by cost and have started to learn and develop in other platforms. I wish all the best for Alpha Software.

Regards,
                              Felix

Comment

Working...
                              X