Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

using functions can be hazerdous to your health

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

using functions can be hazerdous to your health

Finian and I both noticed that when you edit a function, unless you close Alpha and reopen, the edited version does not run - the original version runs
    Has anyone else noticed this - or it may be my computer of version of V12 (using 2614)
    Cole Custom Programming - Terrell, Texas
    972 524 8714
    [email protected]

Re: using functions can be hazerdous to your health

You are correct! Had a few issues with that.
    Dave Mason
    [email protected]
    Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

Explains some odd behavior I recently experienced. Also on two recent occasions: I would have sworn that edits to duplicated functions ended up in the wrong version/name. Could have been my mistake though. The other thing is: Seems to be some session issues going on while developing too/still. (relative to editing/running forms, where extra orphaned sessions are generated)
      Robert T. ~ "I enjoy manipulating data... just not my data."
      It's all about the "framework." (I suppose an "a5-induced" hard drive crash is now in order?)
      RELOADED: My current posting activity here merely represents a "Momentary Lapse Of Reason."

Comment

v12 12.3 rel 2446 WIN 10

Here I have never had this problem editing udf. Just tried again to make sure,
        That would be so frustrating that one would know it happening for sure.

I have experience a similar thing though, but with adding a new udf a couple of weeks back. It appeared as there but not usable until restarting Alpha

Comment

Ray,
          That behavior has been around for years. Make a new function, go to interactive and start typing and it does not show up - until you restart the app.

I only ran into the edit issue this week. May be related to newer builds. I don't recall seeing it before. Any way, for what I am working on now I am changing them to scripts.
          972 524 8714
          [email protected]

Comment

So it's a newly introduced error. You will have to be subscribed to get the fix.
            I reverted back the release that seems to work

Comment

Has anyone reported this to Alpha?

Comment

You would think that control panel refresh button should do the job but I know from experience it doesnt.

Bob
                Bob Whitaker

Comment

I'm willing to bet that everyone who is having this problem is creating a function like this:

[some "external" code to run the function for testing]
                  FUNCTION MyFunction as C ()
                  [function code]
                  END FUNCTION

Try this instead:

FUNCTION MyFunction as C ()
                  [function code]
                  END FUNCTION
                  [some "external" code to run the function for testing]

I've never had a problem as long as there is no code - and preferably no comments - before the FUNCTION line. But I guarantee you that if you do put code before the FUNCTION command, it will create exactly the problem you describe. I believe I've even posted this somewhere before. I'll add it to my A5 Function Notes help file next time I update it. (If you look at the History page in that help file you will see that I update it fairly frequently so you might want to check it every month or so. And I'm always willing to accept new info to add to it if you send it my way.)

Edit: Oops, that info was already in my A5 Function Notes.
                  Last edited by CALocklin; 03-04-2016, 07:50 PM. Reason: correction

Comment

I wonder if Cal's tip also effects why the description often fails to show when using an UDF in the IW...
                    Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

It would seem the Date stamp in Preferences may be the culprit as well. I turned off this feature and now when editing an UDF, I delete that info and my edited functions now run fine in the IW.
                      Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

Originally posted by MoGrace View Post
                        It would seem the Date stamp in Preferences may be the culprit as well. I turned off this feature and now when editing an UDF, I delete that info and my edited functions now run fine in the IW.
                        I use the date stamp all the time and have never seen a problem with it. Perhaps there is something about the way yours was set up vs. mine?

I have "Include" set to Yes and "User Name Preference" set to Specified Name.

(Then there's always the "because it's a computer" possibility. I gave a customer my AutoHotKeys routine so I could use it when working on his computer. It worked fine for a few months and now something has changed so that those hot keys and shortcut keys work fine everywhere but in Alpha and we can't figure out why. They still work fine in all versions of A5 on my computer.)

Comment

I had mine set up the same way. It probably has more to do with the way I used to write functions...most of my updates are on old converted action scripts or just to improve poorly written code.
                          Robin

Comment

I recently wrote a script for editing User Defined functions in the A5 runtime. That is it allows end users with the runtime to create and end their own global functions with certain limitations. They can then use the these functions anywhere they can enter their own expressions. You can find this script in the code section of the forum.

In the process I learned quite a bit about the how A5 uses functions. I'll repeat the related comments from my code below. I don't know what is happening in Martin's case but the information may share some light on the subject. The code has a lot more information on this and functions that directly work with the data dictionary. I feel this is all quite well documented in the code if anyone is interested.

'Functions can be stored in the data dictionary as individual Global User Defined Functions
                            ' these functions are loaded into the global variable name space at start up.
                            'Function(s) can be defined within scripts or even other functions
                            ' these functions are loaded into the local variable name space when the function
                            ' or script that houses them is loaded.
                            'A function defined in the standard A5 code editor is not available for use till it is
                            ' saved this places it in the data dictionary, refreshes the control panel (so it is visable)
                            ' and loads it into the global variable namespace (AKA global frame).
                            'Refreshing the control panel does not load a script into the global variable space. This
                            ' is only done when the script is saved and has no syntax errors or when the udf_define() function is used.

'C udf_define(c udf_code[,p variable space])
                            ' Adds the Xbasic statements, which define a function, to the list of UDFs in the specified variable namespace
                            ' udf_code is a character string containing the text version of the function
                            ' the text can be retrieved from the data dictionary using udf_load()

'C udf_drop(c udf_name[,c password])
                            ' Drop a udf (must include password if dropping protected udf)
                            ' Erases a UDF from the data dictionary, UDF remains available in global variable name space.
                            ' This same effect is seen when a function is deleted from the Control Panel

'a5_check_syntax(c code [,l silent [,l return_error_message ]])
                            ' Check syntax of some xbasic code. Recuses into %code% blocks.
                            ' Returns first error encountered
                            ' The editor used A5_MODELESS_CODE_EDITOR and A5_SCRIPT_CREATE_NEW does no syntax checking
                            ' this function is used when the refresh button is pressed to check for syntax errors.
                            ' Syntax errors will prevent UDFs from loading into the variable frame
                            ' and the old UDF will remain and function
                            ' This can cause hard to diagnose problems so best advise users

Comment

On Windows 7, Alpha V12, I can write a brand new function the normal way - from the control panel
                              Then, maybe 2 days later, I can modify the function, and more than 50% of the time I have to close and reopen Alpha before the change will run, instead of the original.
                              972 524 8714
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X