Alpha Video Training

Thread: Compare and show ability

Real Name
    Tim

Default Compare and show ability

I have products that have lists of attributes that show up in the detailed view and I'm using the in-grid checkbox to select Product Part numbers.
    I'm also using a toolbar button to select and who the products with the checkbox checked. This is as close to a compare feature that I can figure out.

Can anyone tell me if its possible to use the checkbox and button to open up a modal with the detail view of all of the products with checks in the checkbox?
    I want to do a compare feature like Amazon, New Egg, etc. Choose 5 or less, click compare, then you seen details of all 5 products.

thanks
    Tim

"Certified" Alphaholic
    Real Name
    Andy Gill

Default Re: Compare and show ability

This is not going to be straight forward, but will need to be custom coded. The easy way is to use a pivot query to organise part numbers as the columns, and the possible features as rows. E.g. see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ccess-2013-sql
    Many databases allow pivoting.
    For your display, try a grid, but it may not like the pivot query. So you might either customize the grid using the xbasic hooks, or custom code the output entirely in a separate a5w page or dialog2 component, for example.

Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by agillbb View Post
    This is not going to be straight forward, but will need to be custom coded. The easy way is to use a pivot query to organise part numbers as the columns, and the possible features as rows. E.g. see http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ccess-2013-sql
    Many databases allow pivoting.
    For your display, try a grid, but it may not like the pivot query. So you might either customize the grid using the xbasic hooks, or custom code the output entirely in a separate a5w page or dialog2 component, for example.
    hmm, I'm just using the built in Database so not sure. I'll give this a look and try it. Thank you for the response! A compare feature is one that I wish they would build into Alpha Anywhere.

"Certified" Alphaholic CharlesParker's Avatar
    Real Name
    Charles Parker

I think you could easily do this with a list control and it's search features - the list control will allow you to display any info from the table in a very straight forward manner, and allow you to search and filter by any of the fields, the difference being that you are not bogged down by the traditional grid/detail view in this case. You can create the list view to display ANY of the data as you see fit to show and you can SNAKE the list to appear however you want - it's pretty cool stuff.
    NWCOPRO Nuisance Wildlife Control Software-My Application: http://www.nwcopro.com "I am not discouraged, because every wrong attempt discarded is another step forward."

Real Name
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesParker View Post
    I think you could easily do this with a list control and it's search features - the list control will allow you to display any info from the table in a very straight forward manner, and allow you to search and filter by any of the fields, the difference being that you are not bogged down by the traditional grid/detail view in this case. You can create the list view to display ANY of the data as you see fit to show and you can SNAKE the list to appear however you want - it's pretty cool stuff.
    And you can build that based on a users choices from the original grid? Sounds interesting. I'll check it out. Thanks!