Alpha Software Mobile Development Tools:   Alpha Anywhere    |   Alpha TransForm subscribe to our YouTube Channel  Follow Us on LinkedIn  Follow Us on Twitter  Follow Us on Facebook

Announcement

Collapse

The Alpha Software Forum Participation Guidelines

The Alpha Software Forum is a free forum created for Alpha Software Developer Community to ask for help, exchange ideas, and share solutions. Alpha Software strives to create an environment where all members of the community can feel safe to participate. In order to ensure the Alpha Software Forum is a place where all feel welcome, forum participants are expected to behave as follows:
  • Be professional in your conduct
  • Be kind to others
  • Be constructive when giving feedback
  • Be open to new ideas and suggestions
  • Stay on topic

Be sure all comments and threads you post are respectful. Posts that contain any of the following content will be considered a violation of your agreement as a member of the Alpha Software Forum Community and will be moderated:
  • Spam.
  • Vulgar language.
  • Quotes from private conversations without permission, including pricing and other sales related discussions.
  • Personal attacks, insults, or subtle put-downs.
  • Harassment, bullying, threatening, mocking, shaming, or deriding anyone.
  • Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist, or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
  • Sexually explicit or violent material, links, or language.
  • Pirated, hacked, or copyright-infringing material.
  • Encouraging of others to engage in the above behaviors.

If a thread or post is found to contain any of the content outlined above, a moderator may choose to take one of the following actions:
  • Remove the Post or Thread - the content is removed from the forum.
  • Place the User in Moderation - all posts and new threads must be approved by a moderator before they are posted.
  • Temporarily Ban the User - user is banned from forum for a period of time.
  • Permanently Ban the User - user is permanently banned from the forum.

Moderators may also rename posts and threads if they are too generic or do not property reflect the content.

Moderators may move threads if they have been posted in the incorrect forum.

Threads/Posts questioning specific moderator decisions or actions (such as "why was a user banned?") are not allowed and will be removed.

The owners of Alpha Software Corporation (Forum Owner) reserve the right to remove, edit, move, or close any thread for any reason; or ban any forum member without notice, reason, or explanation.

Community members are encouraged to click the "Report Post" icon in the lower left of a given post if they feel the post is in violation of the rules. This will alert the Moderators to take a look.

Alpha Software Corporation may amend the guidelines from time to time and may also vary the procedures it sets out where appropriate in a particular case. Your agreement to comply with the guidelines will be deemed agreement to any changes to it.

Bonus TIPS for Successful Posting

Try a Search First
It is highly recommended that a Search be done on your topic before posting, as many questions have been answered in prior posts. As with any search engine, the shorter the search term, the more "hits" will be returned, but the more specific the search term is, the greater the relevance of those "hits". Searching for "table" might well return every message on the board while "tablesum" would greatly restrict the number of messages returned.

When you do post
First, make sure you are posting your question in the correct forum. For example, if you post an issue regarding Desktop applications on the Mobile & Browser Applications board , not only will your question not be seen by the appropriate audience, it may also be removed or relocated.

The more detail you provide about your problem or question, the more likely someone is to understand your request and be able to help. A sample database with a minimum of records (and its support files, zipped together) will make it much easier to diagnose issues with your application. Screen shots of error messages are especially helpful.

When explaining how to reproduce your problem, please be as detailed as possible. Describe every step, click-by-click and keypress-by-keypress. Otherwise when others try to duplicate your problem, they may do something slightly different and end up with different results.

A note about attachments
You may only attach one file to each message. Attachment file size is limited to 2MB. If you need to include several files, you may do so by zipping them into a single archive.

If you forgot to attach your files to your post, please do NOT create a new thread. Instead, reply to your original message and attach the file there.

When attaching screen shots, it is best to attach an image file (.BMP, .JPG, .GIF, .PNG, etc.) or a zip file of several images, as opposed to a Word document containing the screen shots. Because Word documents are prone to viruses, many message board users will not open your Word file, therefore limiting their ability to help you.

Similarly, if you are uploading a zipped archive, you should simply create a .ZIP file and not a self-extracting .EXE as many users will not run your EXE file.
See more
See less

Runtime size comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Runtime size comparison

Originally posted by dchiass View Post
    so true and companies need to make a profit to stay in business. But alpha from a marketing standpoint they should look at how their software is priced. What about a price for desktops ONLY?
    From Alphas (new) website Desktop has zero role. You do not find it anymore.

Comment

You can buy desktop with runtime included for $499 just ask!
      Last edited by user10; 05-28-2016, 05:46 AM.

Comment

6 months ago it was $349, 1 month ago it was $499 - seems like negotiations might be possible! And it includes web components on the desktop too.
        Robin

Discernment is not needed in things that differ, but in those things that appear to be the same. - Miles Sanford

Comment

We have the development, runtime & web packages of Alpha Anywhere v12.

Here is the runtime details:
          version - 12.3 Build 2999
          System Add Ins - Build 4519
          Approx size around - 476 MB

My programmer said it was time to install the latest runtime patch:
          version - 12.4.1 Build 3622
          System Add Ins - Build 4676
          Approx size around - 842 MB

The runtime patch increased its size by 360 MB.....boy is that bloating & getting large.

Why the HUGE increase in size?

One other point, when we tried to install our upgrade.exe on our existing application using the new runtime (the 842 MB) we get an error message. Bottomline, the upgrade bombs & stops. See attached pic. The previous v12 runtime, works perfectly with the upgrade.exe
          Attached Files

Comment

Maybe Lenny will join the conversation. He doesn't like people posting adverse or critical comments so he may have a solution.
            Suggest you go back to the previous release.
            It would be better for everyone if the DT and Web were separated and sold independently. Problem might be that the package is so interlinked that to do so is difficult. Also, the DT side cannt be controlled regarding Subscriptions that easily, so no revenue. However, in the past, annual or bi-annual upgrades - decent ones, not cosmetics - made sure I always bought the latest version.
            Given that there is little benefit for DT users to go V12, quite the opposite in fact, staying with V11 is probably a better bet.
            Last edited by Ted Giles; 10-17-2016, 03:36 AM.
            See our Hybrid Option here;
            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

This is jus a guess but I assume they have added nodejs also to runtime which is in fact a good thing and a big step forward in Alphas desktop. No limits what you can do now.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Giles View Post
                Maybe Lenny will join the conversation. He doesn't like people posting adverse or critical comments so he may have a solution.
                Suggest you go back to the previous release.
                It would be better for everyone if the DT and Web were separated and sold independently. Problem might be that the package is so interlinked that to do so is difficult. Also, the DT side cannt be controlled regarding Subscriptions that easily, so no revenue. However, in the past, annual or bi-annual upgrades - decent ones, not cosmetics - made sure I always bought the latest version.
                Given that there is little benefit for DT users to go V12, quite the opposite in fact, staying with V11 is probably a better bet.
                Your reply has confused me. You infer that my OP was "....He doesn't like people posting adverse or critical comments"

How so? My apologies if anybody thought so.

Saying I am having a problem installing the runtime with the latest patch? And a concern of how big it is getting is a fact. I always thought a forum was for the discussion of problems & their solutions and things that happen while installing, running or using Alpha Software?

Comment

Node JS seems to be about 148M by itself
                  Dave Mason
                  [email protected]
                  Skype is dave.mason46

Comment

And in Developers node-module folder there is 772 license files to read (3,35 mb) :)

Comment

Originally posted by DaveM View Post
                      Node JS seems to be about 148M by itself
                      Dave, if we have NO intention to go mobile can these be deleted from our install exe? But we do have a "few" customers that are using our app on the internet tied back to our desktop app.

Comment

Dave, if we have NO intention to go mobile can these be deleted from our install exe? But we do have a "few" customers that are using our app on the internet tied back to our desktop app.
                        Nodejs is not for mobile it will not work. It is for desktop and you can also create servers which connect to internet or not

Comment

Your reply has confused me. You infer that my OP was "....He doesn't like people posting adverse or critical comments"

How so? My apologies if anybody thought so.
                          Dewayne,

I don't think Ted meant that you were being "critical". But it sounds like he thinks Lenny would see that as being "critical". But that's just one person's opinion.
                          Peter
                          AlphaBase Solutions, LLC

[email protected]
                          https://www.alphabasesolutions.com

Comment

Originally posted by Peter.Greulich View Post
                            Dewayne,

I don't think Ted meant that you were being "critical". But it sounds like he thinks Lenny would see that as being "critical". But that's just one person's opinion.
                            Correct Peter.
                            I noticed that Lenny jumped in very quickly regarding my comments on Hot Fixes, but he's gone a bit quiet on this topic.
                            Maybe he has no input or explanation he wishes to share, but I would be helpful if people knew why things are bloating.
                            I've inadvertently added much more that was necessary to a Web App only yesterday and had to backtrack. Hope Alpha haven't added unnecessary baggage.
                            See our Hybrid Option here;
                            https://hybridapps.example-software.com/

Apologies to anyone I haven't managed to upset yet.
                            You are held in a queue and I will get to you soon.

Comment

OK, maybe Lenny can advise what we can remove without affecting our desktop application. NO criticism given or inferred.

I had to look at my initial post & revise it, the runtime on 10.5 was around 161 MB & Alpha Anywhere v12 with latest path close to 870 MB. My OP asked what parts can I remove without affecting my desktop application.

BTW, what features does Node JS ADD in a desktop application? We are fixed on what features we have now in our application.

Great group. Thanks for the help.

Comment

BTW, what features does Node JS ADD in a desktop application?
                                It does not add anything automatically. It's up to you do you want to use it.

But lets say your application needs Stocks information and you want to use Google Stocks Api. Current way seems to be starting to learn Google Stocks Api and bring it to xbasic. BIG JOB if even possible.

On the other hand you could use already written node-module (check here) and write a simple xbasic function which calls node-service javascript file and gets result from this google-stocks node-module back to xbasic. No need to learn Google Stocks Api. 2 hours work.

Seems to me that you desktop guys do not yet understand what kind of piece of gold Selwyn has bring to you. You can make money with nodejs.
                                Last edited by kkfin; 10-18-2016, 12:16 PM. Reason: link

Comment

Working...
                                X